Queens v St Mirren

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't win the initial header. He barged into Kerr as he headed it. Reilly at no point heads it. Even if you agree with the referee that it wasn't a foul he certainly didn't "win" the header. He did react far better than our defenders to the loose ball though.
I would blame Tapping for the 3rd at least as much as Kerr. He's not marking anyone, he's obviously just on the edge of the 6 yard box to screen people off but McKenzie goes past him untouched and he actually prevents Kerr matching the run.

Badly worded again. By winning the header I meant he was involved with Kerr initially. It's clearly Kerr who knocks it on as you say but Reilly's pressure is what makes him head it back. It's not a foul for me tbh though it's certainly in the "seen them given" category. McLean was consistently inconsistent so it's unfortunate on that occasion we never got the foul.

GAD is on the wind up aye? If that finish by Dobbie is seen "week in week out in this league" then I'm clearly missing something. It wasn't a goal of the season contender but given it was outside the box and placed right in the corner I hardly think it was a run of the mill goal for this level.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Badly worded again. By winning the header I meant he was involved with Kerr initially. It's clearly Kerr who knocks it on as you say but Reilly's pressure is what makes him head it back. It's not a foul for me tbh though it's certainly in the "seen them given" category. McLean was consistently inconsistent so it's unfortunate on that occasion we never got the foul.

GAD is on the wind up aye? If that finish by Dobbie is seen "week in week out in this league" then I'm clearly missing something. It wasn't a goal of the season contender but given it was outside the box and placed right in the corner I hardly think it was a run of the mill goal for this level.

It certainly wasn't a goal of the season contender, it wasn't even the best goal of the game. A finish across the goalkeeper on a one on one is very much run of the mill. Fair enough it was against the best goalkeeper in the league, but you'd expect most strikers at this level to score that at least five times out of ten.

Although it comes initially from some scrappy play, the best build up goal is our second where Dobbie's pass couldn't have been more perfectly weighted if Messi had done it and Kane's finish is as composed as Reilly's later one.

What a pile of pish. If Gary MacKenzie had cut out the most sublime pass there’s ever been like he should’ve, he’d be getting compared to Maldini right now.

I would have given Mercer Man of the Match. After the roasting Morgan gave him last season he clearly fancied it again, even switching wings when Merce had to go to left back. But he contained him as well as you could reasonably expect him to and was our best defender. He has really played well the last few weeks.

:lol:
Behave yourself. It's a punt forward where Reilly wins possession by fouling Kerr and then bursts speedily onto McShane's header down. It's about as far from a "great team goal" as you can get without it just being a direct collecting punt from the keeper. Reilly does very well on it having got away with the initial contact and McShane's header is right where it needs to be but the idea it's some multiple passing thing of beauty is farcical. That it's your best goal of the three underlines the shenanigans of the other two.
Out first is quite similar in that it is a punt forward from Mercer that Kane gets something on and Dobbie is far quicker to react to it than anyone else. His shot is perfectly struck early from outside the box before Samson is set. Reilly on the other hand runs on and wrongfoots Martin with a perfect low finish. Both excellent finishes.
Although it comes initially from some scrappy play, the best build up goal is our second where Dobbie's pass couldn't have been more perfectly weighted if Messi had done it and Kane's finish is as composed as Reilly's later one.

It’s never a foul, defender goes to ground expecting the foul to be given. Reilly does superb to win the ball and then it’s a good finish from a guy in form.

Dobbie’s goal is actually superb, Gary Mac not very clever for us but Dobbie still has a hell of a lot to do. Samson does look like he gets down quite slowly but that’s probably nit picking.

First goal for saints is a shambles from Queens, Not all his fault but Martin never fills me with confidence..

2nd goal as above is all about Reilly and his work rate

3rd goal, no idea how McKenzie is left all alone in the 6 yard box. Someone earlier in the thread said there was a foul on the keeper....again no chance, he just looked scared to come off his line.

23 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

And?

You were a different game from me if you saw Morgan breezing past Mercer time after time as you posted earlier. He got past him a couple of times and Mercer did reasonably well to contain him. He's by a mile the best prospect in this League at the moment. Mercer coped with him about as well as anyone could reasonably be expected to.

20 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

3rd goal, no idea how McKenzie is left all alone in the 6 yard box. Someone earlier in the thread said there was a foul on the keeper....again no chance, he just looked scared to come off his line.

He's left alone because Tapping blocks Kerr's run rather than McKenzie's. Between them they've made a right backside of it.

1 minute ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think you are right I must have been at a different game because you nominated him as a MOM candidate. That surely has to be a wind up?

Are you seriously suggesting that Mercer was one of our best players yesterday?

Yes. Mercer did absolutely fine.

It certainly wasn't a goal of the season contender, it wasn't even the best goal of the game. A finish across the goalkeeper on a one on one is very much run of the mill. Fair enough it was against the best goalkeeper in the league, but you'd expect most strikers at this level to score that at least five times out of ten.

Aye you're definitely at it [emoji38]

I assume you think Kane's was the best of the bunch then? ;)

Yes. Mercer did absolutely fine.

He did fine after being ripped a couple of times in the first half but that was it. It was a very good performance by his previous standards but it wasn't a great performance for this level, at least not MoM levels.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He did fine after being ripped a couple of times in the first half but that was it. It was a very good performance by his previous standards but it wasn't a great performance for this level, at least not MoM levels.

I guess that depends on how highly you rate Morgan. I think the fact that Morgan followed Mercer over to the other side after Marshall went off underlines how he felt he could target him. I don't blame him for that after last season's game which more than any other left our fans deciding Mercer was never good enough for this level which is slightly unfair as Morgan is not remotely standard opposition for this level. He did get get past him like he wasn't there once early on in the first half and Brownlie came across and rescued it. I don't recall any significant progress past him in the rest of the game.

He was comfortably our best defender on the day (which isn't saying a lot granted). We were largely overrun in midfield. Notwithstanding The Caul's agenda I thought Lyndon did quite well (well enough that St Mirren quickly felt the need to put two men on him for the rest of the game at every dead ball) and Dobbie was Dobbie. Kane was decent too. Those are the only MoM candidates for me.

Let's put it this way If an opposing Match analyst was taking in the match and reporting back on the key 1:1s - how do you think he would comment on the Morgan:Mercer contest?

Would he see Mercer as a strength or a weakness after that display?

Mercer gave an honest 100% performance but a MOM award should never become a sympathy vote or it loses all credibility.

Let's put it this way If an opposing Match analyst was taking in the match and reporting back on the key 1:1s - how do you think he would comment on the Morgan:Mercer contest?

Would he see Mercer as a strength or a weakness after that display?

Mercer gave an honest 100% performance but a MOM award should never become a sympathy vote or it loses all credibility.

Morgan did him a couple of times in the first half but I can't recall any in the second so it was probably 50/50. He contained him pretty well to be fair to Mercer.

I agree with your last point. I don't think Mercer was anywhere near MoM though, he just improved on his last outing against Morgan is what I'm saying.

What did folk make of the incident just before half-time when Reilly blocked Martin's kick-out? It looked to me as if Martin had already punted it forward and Reilly just stuck his leg out. Not sure how it was deemed a foul, he certainly didn't kick it out Martin's hands George Best style. Don't think the ref saw it either but reacted to the shout. Letting the free-kick be taken about 10 yards outside the box was also weird.

The ball went wide after hitting Reilly anyway so no harm done.

Watched the goals again.  For St Mirren’s second, there was maybe a foul by Reilly on Tapping (?), it left our player on the ground and Reilly running through. However, the guy that really messes up is Brownlie  who misses the tackle entirely. I think he had just been booked for  ‘timewasting’ and pulled out completely, otherwise he would probably have ‘taken one for the team’ and fouled Reilly. Very composed finish by Reilly, he’s clearly got his confidence back, I’m pleased he’s doing well, although I’d rather he hadn’t done quite so well yesterday.

For the first goal, I initially blamed Martin but have to say Brownlie looked the more culpable. If you’re not sure, take control and put it out for a corner, don’t nod it towards your own goal....

I’m not having a go at Brownlie, he did plenty good yesterday and has been a good performer for us this season, yesterday was just a ‘bad day at the office’.

And the booking for timewasting was genuinely bizarre, I’d have to see it again to work out what is was about.

onwards....

What did folk make of the incident just before half-time when Reilly blocked Martin's kick-out? It looked to me as if Martin had already punted it forward and Reilly just stuck his leg out. Not sure how it was deemed a foul, he certainly didn't kick it out Martin's hands George Best style. Don't think the ref saw it either but reacted to the shout. Letting the free-kick be taken about 10 yards outside the box was also weird.
The ball went wide after hitting Reilly anyway so no harm done.

I think we got away with one there.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Sorry, but you've not appreciated what he did.  

Clearly you regard it as a one on one that he tucked away nicely, but that doesn't remotely do justice to what he did.  I'm not actually joking here, or indulging in hyperbole for effect - it really was a brilliant goal.  I've seen him score a lot of beauties, but I'd put that comfortably in the top five.

He doesn't have the pace to move clear in those circumstances, so he had to hit it on the half volley on the reach.  He manages to direct it in the only way he possibly could to score.  It's great technique.  He hits it brilliantly early and it's a peach.

I think it was less obvious perhaps from your side, but from the main stand, it was clearly a really terrific goal.

Archived