Arbroath v Raith Rovers

An interesting game to say the least. I'm a little surprised the game wasn't called off given the wind, although it was amusing to see goal kicks being blown back to about 25-30 yards out. Predictable, therefore, that we dominated the first and Arbroath the second given the wind. 

I thought Arbroath actually handled the wind a bit better than us, even if this did them no favours in the end. Too often our long balls were blown straight out the pitch, which was annoying. Playing over the top is a sensible tactic in games like this as defenders will be caught out, but our execution of them was generally poor.  Hutton did brilliantly in the first with rushing out to gather the ball, something that gave me big concerns for the second half when it would be us facing the wind. 

In the second we dealt very well with the wind for the most part. A couple of errors aside, we were pretty resolute in defence and handled what was thrown at us well. I thought the midfield could've done better with the second ball at times and perhaps tried to keep the ball low/play short when clearing out, as the punts inevitably came straight back at us (although our defence generally cleared it back out). In the end, this thankfully did not matter. The tactic of getting the set pieces on top of Smith was exactly the way I'd aim to play against us with the wind today as well. 

No idea what happened at any of the goals, to be honest. Assume Spence tapped in following a block from Davidson's shot, and that Zanatta tapped in from Buchanan's shot. For Arbroath's goal, it just looked like bad defending. 

I know the conditions were difficult, but Graeme Smith is hard to watch. Ended up with an excellent save at the end, but my word his erratic nature and preference to stay on his line had me panicking through the second half. He cannot however be faulted for his kicking given the conditions - always onto a loser there. 

Great three points today. Also the first time I've seen us win a league game since early 2013. :lol:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Can you explain why it should never have started? Because you lost?

The weather wasn’t dangerous for spectators either in the ground or travelling to/from.  A bit of wind isn’t dangerous to the players, even in this day and age of the pampered poor wee soul footballer.

It maybe doesn’t make for the greatest spectacle but some of the best games I’ve seen have been in pouring rain and wind,  bogged down pitch. Throw back to when football had a bit of character, rain, wind, snow storms...game being stopped to shovel lines in the snow.

Give me that over these pishy artificial surfaces any day! Which, incidentally probably pose more of a threat to players than playing on the wet or ever so slightly frozen pitches that games get cancelled for.

Anyhoo, cracking result. Honestly thought we would be a further two or three points behind Ayr after today so I’m well chuffed

Who said it was dangerous?

Maybe you are used to watching that kind of football, that will be why your on a downward spiral, half the game was spent watching keepers taking goals kicks and sending them out for throw ins, a wee bit of wind can always make it a bit more interesting but today was a bit much 

3 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Maybe you are used to watching that kind of football, that will be why your on a downward spiral, half the game was spent watching keepers taking goals kicks and sending them out for throw ins, a wee bit of wind can always make it a bit more interesting but today was a bit much 

Some downward spiral when you gain points on your main rivals. 

I honestly cannot believe that some Arbroath fans are trying to say that game shouldn’t of gone ahead! Wasn’t dangerous for the players or the fans. Yes it didn’t make for good viewing. But that’s no reason to call off the game. Both teams had a half with the wind at their backs and a half with the wind in their face, so what’s the problem??

2 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Talk of that game not being played is mental. Was in no way dangerous and play was, while challenging, something to be dealt with. 

6:21 Train in back down to Kirkcaldy was brilliant - oh no no no ...

There was more likely hood that a passing dog walker getting skelped on the heid with a ball than anything befalling player or spectator.

Fair result in the end. The first half saw us pile on the pressure, and Arbroath were quite fortunate that Hutton pulled off a couple of phenomenal saves to keep them in the game. The first goal had an element of good fortune in that it came right back to Spence, who has been excellent recently. 4 in 4 for him.  The second goal was utter class from Buchanan. He's got an incredible touch at the best of times, but to take down the ball, and turn taking out the defenders was brilliant.  

You could tell Arbroath were going to hammer us right from the second half. It was always going to be a long second half with Smith's insistence of punting the ball long. Even on the deck, there were a lot of stray, wind assisted passes. Some save towards the end.  Roll on next Saturday when  we've got Stranraer at home. It's another tough test, but one we need to pick up three points again in. 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Absolutely seething. Brilliant.

Archived