West Region Cup Committee

archieb

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vast majority would only play eight games.

Do you mean 3 games ? At the moment the vast majority only play 4 games anyway, so It's hardly going to make a huge difference, unless the end of season League Cups are scrapped and this competition is to replace both League Cups.

I think you are maybe missing the point Glensmad.

At the moment Ayrshire clubs play 5 sectional group games, Central clubs play 4. 

But both sets of groups use up 5 game days to play out. (Central groups having an idle team each time). 

Ricky's proposal cuts that to only 3.  Giving you 2 extra days to help fit in League games.

Once those 3 games are over you're then into the knockout stages with 16 teams as you normally would be, but this time you're playing out to only 1 final and not 2.

I think you are maybe missing the point Glensmad.
At the moment Ayrshire clubs play 5 sectional group games, Central clubs play 4. 
But both sets of groups use up 5 game days to play out. (Central groups having an idle team each time). 
Ricky's proposal cuts that to only 3.  Giving you 2 extra days to help fit in League games.
Once those 3 games are over you're then into the knockout stages with 16 teams as you normally would be, but this time you're playing out to only 1 final and not 2.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. Do you propose to scrap the other League Cups as well ?

20 hours ago, Kennie said:

Ricky, I do hope you pursue this idea, it deserves consideration.

As you know, from the conversation we had last season at Bellshill, I had the same idea and if I had been successful in my bid, I would have pushed for this too. I did actually put the idea to 2 others last January and those 2 are now on the aforementioned 'Cup Committee' so hopefully it will be discussed by them. I also endorsed your proposal in my application letter.

I've re-posted and expanded on the idea here.

A) Combine both Ayrshire and Central cup competitions into one.

B) The management committee organise all 64 clubs into 8 Sections, using geography and travel as guidelines.

C) Teams in each section are numbered 1 through to 8.

D) A draw is made at the AGM to split each section into 2 groups.

E) These teams play each other once only. This results in 2 teams having 2 home/1 away and 2 teams with 1 home/2 away games. These groups remain in place for 2 seasons to allow a reversal of these fixtures.

F) The group winners are placed in a draw (again this could be pre-drawn at the AGM) and it is drawn through to the final.

G) Both finalists would play 7 games.

H) After 2 seasons The groups are redrawn from the same sections and remain in place again for another 2 seasons.

I) This maintains the Sectional League aspect which allows full use of trialists during the opening 3 games.

J) The season could start on the Saturday with Game 1, Game 2 would be on the Monday with Game 3 on the Wednesday. This would mean the Sectional League would be over in a week allowing for League fixtures to start on the 2nd Saturday of the season.

A sectional West of Scotland Cup to go with a knockout West of Scotland Cup ?

With clubs due to play between 8-10 extra league games next season surely we have to be cutting back on cups.

And of course we must have games where we can play trialists cause juniors are so professional lol

A sectional West of Scotland Cup to go with a knockout West of Scotland Cup ?
With clubs due to play between 8-10 extra league games next season surely we have to be cutting back on cups.
And of course we must have games where we can play trialists cause juniors are so professional lol
Exactly and now I'm starting to see part of the reason why Mr r was voted back in ...........

With the increase in League games next season there is no way to fit in the sectional cup, revamped or not. it has to be scrapped.

As a supporter of a team who generally gets caught up in a fixture backlog I genuinely worry about completing the season with the extra games to fit in

With the increase in League games next season there is no way to fit in the sectional cup, revamped or not. it has to be scrapped.
As a supporter of a team who generally gets caught up in a fixture backlog I genuinely worry about completing the season with the extra games to fit in

A re-vamped Sectional League Cup, combined with the scrapping of the end-of-season League Cups, would be workable in my opinion.

47 minutes ago, glensmad said:

But it wouldn't be more fixtures if the end-of-season League Cups are scrapped.

If Glencairn  were to go out first round every cup this season they will have played 33 matches. 26 league , 4 sectional , 1 Scottish , 1 West , 1 central cup. Yes ?

If they go out first round every cup next season they will play 37 matches. 30 league , 4 sectional , 1 Scottish , 1 West , 1 central cup.

Abolishing Central Cup would save 1 match.

You can't base on potential fixtures.

If Glencairn  were to go out first round every cup this season they will have played 33 matches. 26 league , 4 sectional , 1 Scottish , 1 West , 1 central cup. Yes ?
If they go out first round every cup next season they will play 37 matches. 30 league , 4 sectional , 1 Scottish , 1 West , 1 central cup.
Abolishing Central Cup would save 1 match.
You can't base on potential fixtures.

Yeh I get that, but I was working on the assumption that we've all accepted the base starting point that all teams will have 30 league games next season. We then have the question of what to do with the two District Cups. Rolling the four of the District Cups into one Regional Sectional League Cup would save fixtures. The other alternative is just to scrap both of them, but I doubt the clubs will vote for that.

my proposal is as Kenny has laid out, if end of season league cup are scrapped then it would pave the way for a better organising of the Evening times trophy  which could be played for by the 4 league winners plus the winners of the west league  cup  and sectional league cup as said if we start the season on the first Saturday in August  you could have your sectional league cup finalists  known  early , and you  could say by the 12thAugust have 2 league games played  and by the end of August 6 league games  played you could also have the winners of 16 sections played on  wed 9th  quarter finals on the 16TH  and semis on the 23rd .

my proposal is as Kenny has laid out, if end of season league cup are scrapped then it would pave the way for a better organising of the Evening times trophy  which could be played for by the 4 league winners plus the winners of the west league  cup  and sectional league cup as said if we start the season on the first Saturday in August  you could have your sectional league cup finalists  known  early , and you  could say by the 12thAugust have 2 league games played  and by the end of August 6 league games  played you could also have the winners of 16 sections played on  wed 9th  quarter finals on the 16TH  and semis on the 23rd .
You don't half know how to complicate things , why create a new west sectional cup it's mad , just confusing the issue when the simple solution is to either get rid of the sectional cup / make it optional / phase it through the season , creating a west sectional cup is silly and we have the west cup and league as it is for west games

And also scrap the utter farce that is the evening times cup , people's mindsets are on summer holidays rather than dealing with this daft competition , it's the reason for 4 games per week being sandwiched in late on in the season , it's a nice big trophy to look at but that's where it ends ..........

My proposals are based on attracting  interest in  our game , the sectional league cups are boring  ,they do not attract new people to come along and see a junior game , my other fear if we don't change then we could lose clubs due to a failure to attract a younger fan base and in the long run  people to  keep serve on committees/    many committees that I encounter are worryingly old

As you will no doubt be aware  we are finding it really hard to get our leagues and cups sponsored at the moment . this is another indication of how unattractive our current set up is to the business community .

Scottish junior Cup no sponsor    and it is getting harder to attract sponsors for the other cup competitions and leagues

What is wrong with just League , Scottish and West Cups ?.

32 guaranteed matches ( potential 46 ). In a grade of the game that has neither floodlights nor undersoil heating and suffers from chaotic end of season congestion affecting both players and supporters , surely that's ample. Surely it should be quality over quantity.  Why do the juniors have to make things so feckin complicated ?

Archived