Sign in to follow this  
Elixir

Heart of Midlothian v Celtic - 17th December, 2017

29 minutes ago, VanCityHibee said:

Congratulations to the Jambos, did not see that coming.  Its been coming for a few weeks now, but did not expect such a convincing victory.

This sets up the Derby quite nicely, hopefully a ballbusting cracker

Yes, I think we can sneak a point.

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Levein got this bang on - pretty sure he was saving players for this game, and really wanted to win it.

McLaughlin was great - got lucky with one corner that he flapped at, but great. 

Randall was excellent - he clearly is a right-back rather than a midfielder  - his best game for us - Smith did really well at centre-half - his best game too.

Berra was immense again, and Brandon got tore in, and stuck to his task.

Buaben was caught on the ball a few times, and wasn't brilliant after a couple of good performances.

Callaghan worked hard, and earned us a pen - he doesn't have much quality, but he's the only midfielder we have who runs beyond the strikers.

Cowie pressed well in the first half, while Cochrane was composed, as usual - sweet strike for his goal.

Milinkovic was great - skinning players, scoring twice, setting Lafferty up for his goal, and pressing like f**k in the second half.

Lafferty - cracking finish, and won lots of headers.

Stockton wasn't brilliant, but  Levein managed to troll the f**k out of Celtic by bringing on another 16 year-old who did ok, and, especially, Grzelak, who got stuck in.

The main thing was that we were in their faces all day.

Fucking brilliant. 

Thought the boy Smith in defence was brilliant second half. Just seemed to stop any attack from Celtic before it started. 

Edit- Just realised you mentioned him in your post. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Not sure if this will be considered controversial or not, but I didn't think Hearts were actually that good yesterday in their general play. They simply just worked harder than Celtic and showed once again that when under pressure and pressed high up the park, the Celtic defence really cannot play out very well and is liable to collapse. Boyata, Gordon and Lustig in particular are fucking horrendous as far as that goes.

Credit to Levein for getting it spot on tactically though. From the moment Hearts went ahead there was never any danger of them losing the game.

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not sure if this will be considered controversial or not, but I didn't think Hearts were actually that good yesterday in their general play. They simply just worked harder than Celtic and showed once again that when under pressure and pressed high up the park, the Celtic defence really cannot play out very well and is liable to collapse. Boyata, Gordon and Lustig in particular are fucking horrendous as far as that goes.

Credit to Levein for getting it spot on tactically though. From the moment Hearts went ahead there was never any danger of them losing the game.

Not Controversial just stupd

Ending up seeing the repeat of this on Sky last night. Kris Commons before the match predicting a 5-0 Celtic win was grand, then Andy Walker talking about how Hearts midfielders will "struggle to cope with the International class of Celtic"

The Celtic fan who threw a ball on the pitch during a Hearts corner, leading to a mix up which led to a goal kick, which was played out poorly and led to the goal

31 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I agree with you, although the Hearts players worked about 3 times as hard as any Celtic player and at some points in the first half it looked like Hearts had twice as many men on the pitch as Celtic. 

They deserved everything they got, Hearts were the hungrier team by a country mile. They played well. 

Aye it was all just hard work, Hearts showed no quality at all yesterday.
Batter them 4-0 and they're still better. Go figure.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:
11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Batter them 4-0 and they're still better. Go figure.

Exactly, if hard work alone was enough they wouldn't have went 69 games undefeated.

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Sarcasm often fails in print. :)

Celtic had to lose eventually.  They really won't like the way it happened.   Shame.

Does anyone have the interview where Rogers said he didn’t need 3 forwards for the Scottish league. ? Think it was last week. 

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Bit harsh on Hearts, they were by far the more organised team, they were actually up for it and thoroughly deserved their comfortable win.

Celtic were absolutely atrocious. Worst i've seen them play in years. Hearts defended well, didn't really give Celtic an inch but the decision making from the Celtic attackers was appalling.  Try to be too intricate, too many passes before the inevitable miss control or trying to play through 3 or 4 defenders. 

How on earth is Craig Gordon still Celtic goalie? He was terrible last season when Celtic were horsing everyone. The centre halfs are awful, why did Rodgers not sign one? Criminal. 

Thought the pitch was terrible at Tynecastle. How can it be so bad after so few games? Celtic players clearly had the wrong studs on. Barely went a minute without one slipping on their arse. 

31 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Not quite what I said. There was undoubted quality in Hearts play, mostly the finishing. My point is that their general play in terms of keeping possession and passing it about wasn't particularly great. Mostly they harried Celtic into making mistakes and capitalised with relatively direct football. It was a great result for Hearts, without question, but that is not the same as putting in a great footballing performance.

1 minute ago, shootingboots said:

Bit harsh on Hearts, they were by far the more organised team, they were actually up for it and thoroughly deserved their comfortable win.

Celtic were absolutely atrocious. Worst i've seen them play in years. Hearts defended well, didn't really give Celtic an inch but the decision making from the Celtic attackers was appalling.  Try to be too intricate, too many passes before the inevitable miss control or trying to play through 3 or 4 defenders. 

How on earth is Craig Gordon still Celtic goalie? He was terrible last season when Celtic were horsing everyone. The centre halfs are awful, why did Rodgers not sign one? Criminal. 

Thought the pitch was terrible at Tynecastle. How can it be so bad after so few games? Celtic players clearly had the wrong studs on. Barely went a minute without one slipping on their arse.

I think it perhaps sounds harsher than I intended it. Hearts fully deserved the result they got, I just don't think they had to do a great deal to get it. From what I have seen of Celtic this season a domestic result like that has been on the cards. Several teams have started pressing them higher up the park and with the lack of quality they have at the back it has seen them unable to play the way they try to. Unless Rodgers can improve on Gordon, Boyata and Lustig, he might have to rethink the constant attempts to play it out the back. Those three in particular just cannot do that when placed under pressure.