Heart of Midlothian v Celtic - 17th December, 2017

Just now, RandomGuy. said:
11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:
Aye it was all just hard work, Hearts showed no quality at all yesterday.

Batter them 4-0 and they're still better. Go figure.

Exactly, if hard work alone was enough they wouldn't have went 69 games undefeated.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Not sure if this will be considered controversial or not, but I didn't think Hearts were actually that good yesterday in their general play. They simply just worked harder than Celtic and showed once again that when under pressure and pressed high up the park, the Celtic defence really cannot play out very well and is liable to collapse. Boyata, Gordon and Lustig in particular are fucking horrendous as far as that goes.

Credit to Levein for getting it spot on tactically though. From the moment Hearts went ahead there was never any danger of them losing the game.

Bit harsh on Hearts, they were by far the more organised team, they were actually up for it and thoroughly deserved their comfortable win.

Celtic were absolutely atrocious. Worst i've seen them play in years. Hearts defended well, didn't really give Celtic an inch but the decision making from the Celtic attackers was appalling.  Try to be too intricate, too many passes before the inevitable miss control or trying to play through 3 or 4 defenders. 

How on earth is Craig Gordon still Celtic goalie? He was terrible last season when Celtic were horsing everyone. The centre halfs are awful, why did Rodgers not sign one? Criminal. 

Thought the pitch was terrible at Tynecastle. How can it be so bad after so few games? Celtic players clearly had the wrong studs on. Barely went a minute without one slipping on their arse. 

31 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Aye it was all just hard work, Hearts showed no quality at all yesterday.

Not quite what I said. There was undoubted quality in Hearts play, mostly the finishing. My point is that their general play in terms of keeping possession and passing it about wasn't particularly great. Mostly they harried Celtic into making mistakes and capitalised with relatively direct football. It was a great result for Hearts, without question, but that is not the same as putting in a great footballing performance.

1 minute ago, shootingboots said:

Bit harsh on Hearts, they were by far the more organised team, they were actually up for it and thoroughly deserved their comfortable win.

Celtic were absolutely atrocious. Worst i've seen them play in years. Hearts defended well, didn't really give Celtic an inch but the decision making from the Celtic attackers was appalling.  Try to be too intricate, too many passes before the inevitable miss control or trying to play through 3 or 4 defenders. 

How on earth is Craig Gordon still Celtic goalie? He was terrible last season when Celtic were horsing everyone. The centre halfs are awful, why did Rodgers not sign one? Criminal. 

Thought the pitch was terrible at Tynecastle. How can it be so bad after so few games? Celtic players clearly had the wrong studs on. Barely went a minute without one slipping on their arse.

I think it perhaps sounds harsher than I intended it. Hearts fully deserved the result they got, I just don't think they had to do a great deal to get it. From what I have seen of Celtic this season a domestic result like that has been on the cards. Several teams have started pressing them higher up the park and with the lack of quality they have at the back it has seen them unable to play the way they try to. Unless Rodgers can improve on Gordon, Boyata and Lustig, he might have to rethink the constant attempts to play it out the back. Those three in particular just cannot do that when placed under pressure.

Just now, Ross. said:

I think it perhaps sounds harsher than I intended it. Hearts fully deserved the result they got, I just don't think they had to do a great deal to get it. From what I have seen of Celtic this season a domestic result like that has been on the cards. Several teams have started pressing them higher up the park and with the lack of quality they have at the back it has seen them unable to play the way they try to. Unless Rodgers can improve on Gordon, Boyata and Lustig, he might have to rethink the constant attempts to play it out the back. Those three in particular just cannot do that when placed under pressure.

When it works, they are very impressive. Unfortunately for Aberdeen I think their best performance of the season was the 3-0 at Pittodrie. 

Just now, shootingboots said:

When it works, they are very impressive. Unfortunately for Aberdeen I think their best performance of the season was the 3-0 at Pittodrie. 

That was McInnes making a c**t of that one though. The Aberdeen players seemed content to let Boyata have all the time he wanted that night because he isn't particularly good on the ball. Hearts showed yesterday what most teams in Europe seem to know, if you put him under pressure he will generally crack and give you a few chances.

24 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Any update on Celtic fans being toilet trained or paying for anything at the food & drink kiosks?

It's almost like it never happened*. 

Seems to be quite a thing about making up stories about pish/shite being thrown at games.

what game was it someone "allegedly" shat in a Lidl bag and threw it?

*might have happened

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Not sure if this will be considered controversial or not, but I didn't think Hearts were actually that good yesterday in their general play. They simply just worked harder than Celtic and showed once again that when under pressure and pressed high up the park, the Celtic defence really cannot play out very well and is liable to collapse. Boyata, Gordon and Lustig in particular are fucking horrendous as far as that goes.

Credit to Levein for getting it spot on tactically though. From the moment Hearts went ahead there was never any danger of them losing the game.

The sort of talk I'd expect to see from the more bitter Hibs booeys. Some of our close passing and through balls were fantastic. You just need to watch the analysis on Sportscene posted earlier.

Give Celtic the pumping of a lifetime, but somehow it apparently wasn't done with enough style or in a certain way. kanyelaugh.png

That was a bona fide football masterclass. Gegenpressed them into oblivion. greggy.png

I thought Hearts were brilliant yesterday. They didn't necessarily play flowing, fluid football but ultimately they didn't have to. They just tore into Celtic, pressed them high and ran over the top of them.  The goals weren't scrappy efforts either they were well worked and well taken. The idea that because they didn't win playing like Barcelona it somehow negates their performance is a bit disingenuous IMO. They were the better team all over the park.

That's St Johnstone, Hibs, Killie, Motherwell and Hearts all taken points off Celtic so far this season.  It seems like other sides have twigged (more than last season) that the way to play against Celtic is to go at them on the front foot and, to put it crudely, show them no respect. It's cliché but Hearts players won absolutely all their battles and it gave them a platform to go on and utterly body Celtic. 

The problem with that is that you need to have the baws (along with the fitness and organisation) to do it. Sitting back in numbers trying to hold out and play on the counter to try and nick it won't work because Celtic are a good team and have good technical players. If you just let them have the ball they'll inevitably score one way or another. If you press high and don't have the organisation then they'll just play round you, equally if you put everything into it and are collectively blowing out your arse after 70 mins then, again, they'll just play round you.

Up until now it feels like managers have been too respectful of Celtic and too fearful of what they might do if their team was to actually go at  them. It'll be interesting to see if other managers change their approach in upcoming games.

Either way, well played Hearts that was a hugely enjoyable 90 mins.

It's been a good time sports-wise. First Hearts end Celtic's two-game unbeaten run then overnight Australia crush England to win back the Ashes. (I'm not particularly interested in cricket but it's been fun seeing all the glum faces on TV. Just like the World Cup and European Championships they're always so damn smug and confident beforehand that it's pure joy seeing them utterly deflated when it goes wrong.)

Archived