Kilmarnock v Motherwell

This will be an interesting fixture - for one, we've got the home win hoodoo off our back.  Secondly, I think Moult will still be out for this one, won't he?

Motherwell are on a bit of a slide at the moment,  but they could reverse that to an extent by beating Kilmarnock cannon-fodder Partick tonight.

A scoring draw for me - 2 - 2.  Brophy, naturally, and Power.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big game this one, we're on a really good run at the moment and need to prove that the Thistle game wasn't a flash in the pan. Also, how many times have we seen a team come down without their star player, and the others up their game to prove they're not a one man team?

Anyway, I'm going to be optimistic and suggest this will be the elusive clean sheet. 1-0, Boyd to put the Kris in Christmas.

Also, a reminder to any generous c***s on both sides that there'll be a collection point at the Moffat Stand for anyone who wants to bring a gift for underprivileged children in East Ayrshire.

For some reason, I had it in my head this was an away match. We've a really busy Saturday, and me making it through to Motherwell and back when we've as much else on was proving highly contentious with the missus. Realised last night it's a home. Could have saved myself so much grief!

Anyway, I still don't feel optimistic about home games, despite our current form and our Patrick pumping. Something about 7 months of misery that's hard to shake off. If we win this one, we really have turned a corner, and I can't wait to see where we go under Clarke. 

If we win this one, we really have turned a corner, and I can't wait to see where we go under Clarke. 

Was saying to my pal on the way out of the ground on Saturday that we'll eventually look back on Steve Clarke's appointment as a landmark in the club's history.

We just need people to get out and support them now. The board have really pulled out the stops this year, and must have spent a whack of cash on and off the pitch. Even something as daft as changing the sound system in the west stand is indicative of this new approach.

I'm really worried that the green shoots of this recovery will be quashed by folks' apathy, and the same ones will sit in pubs moaning that it's not the 60s, or even the 90s anymore.

Essentially the board have done their bit, the manager and the playing squad are doing the same - now it's up to us.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Was saying to my pal on the way out of the ground on Saturday that we'll eventually look back on Steve Clarke's appointment as a landmark in the club's history.

We just need people to get out and support them now. The board have really pulled out the stops this year, and must have spent a whack of cash on and off the pitch. Even something as daft as changing the sound system in the west stand is indicative of this new approach.

I'm really worried that the green shoots of this recovery will be quashed by folks' apathy, and the same ones will sit in pubs moaning that it's not the 60s, or even the 90s anymore.

Essentially the board have done their bit, the manager and the playing squad are doing the same - now it's up to us.

Absolutely. Often a lot of the time it's the smaller things that the boards will do, such as the soundsystem that makes all the difference to the fans. Hopefully we can turn up again after the 5-1 and last night's away draw - I can't wait for Saturday!

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

According to our website there will be no cash turnstiles in operation for the game. Seems a bit strange as this isn't usually the case at Rugby Park. Does this mean we'll have to get tickets in advance from Fir Park or will there be a ticket office in operation on the day at Rugby Park?

According to our website there will be no cash turnstiles in operation for the game. Seems a bit strange as this isn't usually the case at Rugby Park. Does this mean we'll have to get tickets in advance from Fir Park or will there be a ticket office in operation on the day at Rugby Park?

There’s a ticket office opposite the hotel at the SW corner of the Moffat Stand. I’m pretty sure there will be a cash turnstile on match day, it would seem strange if they didn’t put one on.

1 hour ago, Bushel o' Bricks said:

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

There’s a ticket office opposite the hotel at the SW corner of the Moffat Stand. I’m pretty sure there will be a cash turnstile on match day, it would seem strange if they didn’t put one on.

I am sure it’s pay at the gate . 

Unlike Patrick, we have a pretty good record down at Rugby Park in recent times.

However on current form Kilmarnock will be looking for the 3 points.

A midfield of Power, Dicker and Mulumbu certainly looks better than what we have although surely Robinson's patience with season long under performers is wearing thin?  

I certainly hope so.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:58, Bushel o' Bricks said:

it's PATG -  all games are except old filth, although Aberdeen, Hearts etc request tickets for loyalty scheme members.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

He wouldn't have been playing anyway - he was out until the winter break and so it makes no difference.

How do you feel about losing him?  Huge loss.  Fair enough you're getting half a mil for a player with 6 months on his contract, but it's got to be a bit of a stinger?  He seemed a decent lad on and off the park.

I think I'm in the mainstream of 'Well fans in that I'm sad to see him go and happy to see his hard work getting a reward (that 3.5 year contract will make him a millionaire I guess). I had resigned myself to him leaving after the 'Well-Killie game at the end of last season (and given his big goodbyes that night, he thought he was offski too) - so we've had ages knowing that he was away and that is then pretty easy to deal with.

The sense that we've "won" out of the deal overall - getting 450k for a guy who had already signed a pre-contract after paying back his 50k transfer fee countless times over with his goals and contribution - means that there won't be much of a backlash from any sensible supporter. 

The other thing is that after years of watching players walk away under freedom of contract (Randolph, Hutchinson, Law, Humphrey, Higdon et al) or for peanuts (Murphy, McCormack, Reynolds etc) then there's a quiet satisfaction about us getting decent deals for Moult, Heneghan, Johnson etc (along with dev fees like Hall, Erwin etc). There's obviously a disappointment that the player is leaving but ultimately, amongst the more rational Motherwell fans, there's a feeling that it's a sign that we're getting things right.  This is actually what should be happening.

The fact the player is making a deserved move to a "bigger" league shows the club in a positive light. Moult's also handled the exit very well. It seems to have been handled the right way IMO. It also definitely helps that he's not staying in Scotland, though from reading between the lines in his interview that was never likely to happen. I'll not lie, my head would have been burst with tabloid pieces about how Rangers should totally sign him through another window.

Swello alluded to it in our club thread but we've got a fairly decent record in bringing in strikers; Moult replaced Sutton, Sutton replaced Higdon, Higdon replaced Sutton, Sutton replaced Porter, Porter replaced McDonald; all of whom were 15+ a season strikers (in Sutton & Higdon's case 20+ a season).

So while Moult will clearly be a loss it's actually interesting from a fan's point of view to see who we bring in. It also means that by extension with the money from Moult, Heneghan and Johnson we're in a better position to kb offers for other players unless they're of particular interest to either the club or player.

Glad that Moult is not playing against us as he is a talented lad and that he’s not going to the filth. I never quite forgave McLean Smith Provan etc going to them ,childish I know , but Boyd coming back to us made it easier to accept .

Do the well fans think he will do an Irwin May etc and return to Scotland in a few years ? 

14 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Glad that Moult is not playing against us as he is a talented lad and that he’s not going to the filth. I never quite forgave McLean Smith Provan etc going to them ,childish I know , but Boyd coming back to us made it easier to accept .

Do the well fans think he will do an Irwin May etc and return to Scotland in a few years ? 

Doubt it. Listening to his interview on the Motherwell socials he pretty much said he wanted to move back down to be closer to family (and make a ton of cash). I'd imagine if he's moving on after PNE it'll be to one of the multitude of clubs in that part of the country.

Archived