The Outlaw King

Newbornbairn

I thought Chris Pine was good enough accent wise but wouldn't go as far as saying he was incredible. Sometimes the accent was a bit cringe. Tbf though it must be one of the hardest accents to do. I think people outside of Scotland think that they just have to roll their R's to sound Scottish. For such a wee country we have so many dialects. Unless the actor focusses their research entirely on one region then I don't think it'll ever be spot on. A tiny town like Dumfries has two different accents [emoji38]

The film itself was good. I won't be rewatching it as much as Braveheart as it was a lot slower for me, but it beats Braveheart quite comfortably with historical accuracy.

The story was good but like others I hope there is a sequel as it felt a bit lacking at the end. That scene with Edward II was just painful and a real let down considering they had stuck to facts until then. I liked the wee nod with the spider web and I'm sure someone in the film mentioned a spider web as well.

The Laughlan knoble was redeemed as well. In Braveheart he left Wallace on the battlefield and was later murdered so at least he was portrayed as a more loyal person in this one. I'm sure his ancestors will be pleased [emoji38]

I'd give it 7/10 and would be looking forward to a sequel should it appear.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched it last night and thought was good. Did seem a bit strange to not finish with bannockburn as others have said.

Did anybody else think the sound was a bit off? I could barely hear what they were saying some of the time.

Aye I can imagine Americans getting a bit confused of some of that by not knowing much of the history involved. For the most part the accents were pretty decent. Weirdly at times Tony Curran's accent sounded the most off and he is Scottish. Not sure if he's going for a Western Isles accent and not quite making it. I thought the film was surprisingly sombre and low key for how these historical epics normally go. Only the Prince of Wales and Black Douglas hamming it up a bit at times escaped that.

Don't think it'll be remembered as a classic by any means but it's pretty solid.

On 14/11/2018 at 09:39, happysouth said:

Did anybody else think the sound was a bit off? I could barely hear what they were saying some of the time.

That's just the standard for TV/Film these days - if it's two people talking you need the hearing ability of a bat to make it out, which results in turning your volume up only for the film to cut to dramatic battle scene and burst your ear drums in the process.

As for the film, I agree with The OP's assessment, I felt a little let down by it.  Easily could have made this a 3 part film and taken some more time to show it building, it felt like there were some rather big jumps in time between some scenes. 

Spoiler

Edward went from being passionately angry and seemingly in good health, riding out to take on Bruce and the very next scene he was dead in his tent. Same with Robert de Brus, seemed to be old but in good enough health when he made the agreement with Edward and then a few scene's later he's admitting his mistake to Bruce and snuffing it. There wasn't really any bridge between the changes in political landscape for me.

EDIT - James Douglas was brilliant, a redeeming feature of the film for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Not being up on my history I had just watched Neil Olivers clan thing a few days before seeing this so I had an idea what was going on. Also baffled why it didn't finish with Bannockburn. Still enjoyed it though.
Ugh .

Oliver's a gonk. And how he can go the whole programme with literally not one mention if Sir James Douglas is unbelievable.
Especially as the next episode looks like it's going to be about the Stuarts in the 15th and maybe 16th centuries. Y'know, when they had an enormous feud with the Douglases.

• 1 month later...

Archived