Absolutely 100% back on form Saints v Stevie May’s Invitational XI

2 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Why on earth would we do that when we've wrapped up the game and have another against Hibs to prepare for? GIRUY.

Because you've a gaping huge goal difference gap between you and your nearest challengers for second. We didnt manage a shot in the second half, not one. Switching to a back five against that, and then time wasting, was embarrassing to witness. I don't whether McInnes doesn't trust the players to hold onto a lead, or whether he overthinks things too much, but you could've taken five or six, and the absolutely massive confidence boost from that, quite easily, we didnt have a centre of midfield for the final twenty minutes.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Because you've a gaping huge goal difference gap between you and your nearest challengers for second. 

You'd imagine that being in a position to go after three points is going to make more of an impact on second than goal differece.

Just now, Menzel said:

You'd imagine that being in a position to go after three points is going to make more of an impact on second than goal differece.

You'd already taken off your "key players" to rest them. It wouldn't have taken a huge effort anyway.

Just now, Menzel said:

Delicious. "Pump us more!"

I'll be honest, watching Saints at McDiarmid has been brutal for years. I want entertained, by 3-0 all I wanted was my moneys worth. Aberdeen show flashes of great interplay with the attacking players and looked like they could rip us apart. The decision to sit deep and time waste took any slim chance of any excitement right out of proceedings, so it just became a half hour dirge of watching us pump balls out for throw ins which took five minutes to be taken.

This is depressing to read. When calm and composed Kyle loses the plot, you know that it's a sorry state of affairs.

I don't mean to assume my own importance as a Saints supporter, but our below-average season has directly coincided with my move to London. Some people might say that it isn't a coincidence. I don't necessarily agree with them. They're entitled to their opinion though.

For those of us who haven't seen too much of St Johnstone this season  aside from the SPFL highlight videos , what's changed so far? Seem incredibly inconsistent but supporters on here look to have both had enough and pointed that this has been a downward trend for quite some time beyond what's been played this campaign. 

17 minutes ago, Menzel said:

For those of us who haven't seen too much of St Johnstone this season  aside from the SPFL highlight videos , what's changed so far? Seem incredibly inconsistent but supporters on here look to have both had enough and pointed that this has been a downward trend for quite some time beyond what's been played this campaign. 

Genuinely can't be arsed writing out all the issues. Most have been simmering in the background since the Cup win, tbh. No idea whether TW has been unable to resolve them, or if a lack of funds has hindered his attempts, probably a mix of both. 

Only difference between this season and last season is we're no longer able to shitfest points out of nowhere consistently. Even during our early good form we were pretty poor tbh, the 4-1 win against Motherwell was nowhere near as impressive as it looks on paper.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Interesting listening to the Tractor Boys hurling their toys oot the pram.

For me, where Saints are just now is round about or just above their natural level. By taking all kinds of inaccurate, made-up and irrelevant football data, St Johnstone should be a mid-level club... flirting with relegation one year and then battling into the top 6 the next.

It just shows how Wright has got the team to over-achieve for years now. Scottish cup win, European football, top 4 finishes. St Johnstone have been punching well above their weight for a while....they're simply settling down to their natural position in the grand scheme of things at this moment.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

For me, where Saints are just now is round about or just above their natural level. By taking all kinds of inaccurate, made-up and irrelevant football data, St Johnstone should be a mid-level club... flirting with relegation one year and then battling into the top 6 the next.

It just shows how Wright has got the team to over-achieve for years now. Scottish cup win, European football, top 4 finishes. St Johnstone have been punching well above their weight for a while....they're simply settling down to their natural position in the grand scheme of things at this moment.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the league position. The football on display from us is absolutely rancid though, and has been for the last 18 months. We've always been a bit behind the rest in terms of technique but our commitment levels were an equaliser and we were able to do the basics well enough to catapult us up the league but that effort has evaporated and anyone at the game would agree that some of our once reliable players don't look so reliable any more.

We need a clear out over the next couple of windows as we certainly look like a team in a bit of a terminal decline. I don't think it'll cost us our place in the league this season, but if the issues aren't addressed (and there are a lot of them) I think we could be in a bit of trouble next year.

Wow, there was me complaining about not being able to complete consecutive passes or mark players from corners. Turns out it's just nature taking its course.

Cheers Bob!

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wow, there was me complaining about not being able to complete consecutive passes or mark players from corners. Turns out it's just nature taking its course.

Cheers Bob!

You're welcome.  Anytime...:thumsup2

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll be honest, watching Saints at McDiarmid has been brutal for years. I want entertained, by 3-0 all I wanted was my moneys worth. Aberdeen show flashes of great interplay with the attacking players and looked like they could rip us apart. The decision to sit deep and time waste took any slim chance of any excitement right out of proceedings, so it just became a half hour dirge of watching us pump balls out for throw ins which took five minutes to be taken.

Post Match, McInnes said he instructed the team at half time to go out and kill the game and make it as boring as possible. I must admit, this doesn't sit well with me. It is pragmatic and no one at Aberdeen think we are world beaters that can roll over teams like Saints at a whim. However, I think it might subconsciously affect the players in games we are the underdogs. If the manager lacks confidence to tell the players to continue to attack and push forward in a game they are two nil up and dominating, what does that say about his belief in their abilities?

I know DM would say getting  the three points from a tricky fixture and keeping a clean sheet were the all important thing, and he would be right, for the level we are at. But to go the extra distance, to where we want to be, winning cups, getting into the Europa league groups, regularly beating Rangers and getting better results against Celtic, I think this might be the barrier to us achieving that level. 

Fergie's Dons, the current Celtic or EBT Rangers, 2 nil up at Perth at half time would expect to go on and win by 3, 4 or 5. The idea Saints would peg them back would not even enter their heads. This is a winning mentality when you genuinely believe you are superior to your opponent and play like it. At 3-0 they would be taking on a youngster or a fringe player to give them game minutes, not a striker off for a defender.

This game may be a bit of an epiphany for me. This could be why we are labelled bottle merchants and have come close, but ultimately failed (so far) under DM to get to that next level. 

16 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

Fergie's Dons, the current Celtic or EBT Rangers, 2 nil up at Perth at half time would expect to go on and win by 3, 4 or 5.

Which is what happened. In all honestly I'm struggling to find an issue with sewing the game up when there's a match with Hibs at the weekend. 

Archived