Absolutely 100% back on form Saints v Stevie May’s Invitational XI

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing to be 2-0 in a game we have probably made as many clear cut chances as the opposition. Quality Aberdeen showed at the first goal what we are missing currently. Second goal continues a really worrying trend with set pieces though. Think Clark should be coming for that. Completely lost our way for ten minutes after the switch to 4-4-2

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Disappointing to be 2-0 in a game we have probably made as many clear cut chances as the opposition. Quality Aberdeen showed at the first goal what we are missing currently. Second goal continues a really worrying trend with set pieces though. Think Clark should be coming for that. Completely lost our way for ten minutes after the switch to 4-4-3

That is a very attack minded formation.

Thought the reaction to the team from the fans at HT highlighted that they were still with them as they'd shown something at least. Imagine any schmuck that hung around until full-time wouldn't have been so charitable.

Aberdeen have more quality than Saints but they did the basics better too. That used to be a leveller for Saints but without it...

That was grim viewing, we strung more than three consecutive passes together about three times all match, while Aberdeen scored two goals and camped themselves on the edge of their own box (McInnes going five at the back when you got your third was embarrassing btw, you should've smelt blood and put down a proper marker by getting five or six), the third a deflected free kick taken ten yards from where the ref gave it.

We're dreadful. I'll probably be called a drama queen but that opening half hour is the worst I've ever seen us. There was just nothing. The switch to 4-4-2 killed any chance of even a point though, an utterly baffling move that meant Christie, McLean, May, Rooney and Stewart were getting marked by Paton and Wotherspoon. Complete suicide.

Thomson replacing Scougall is probably the worst ever sub I've seen at McDiarmid aswell. The one and only player who's created regular chances in the match replaced by an absolutely useless "winger" who hasnt been seem for six months and struggled to make an impact in League One last season. Sums up the issue with our squad though. Cummins, Thomson and Alston are the "game changing subs" and they haven't got a goal between them for about 12 months.

Huge January awaits. Must be about TWs tenth window and he needs to get this one right.

Also, can we never, ever, ever see Paton and Davidson together again? I say it constantly, but neither of them has a single fraction of ability on the ball, it's soul destroying watching them constantly turn their back on the ball and then fly late into challenges

Thought the reaction to the team from the fans at HT highlighted that they were still with them as they'd shown something at least. Imagine any schmuck that hung around until full-time wouldn't have been so charitable.
Aberdeen have more quality than Saints but they did the basics better too. That used to be a leveller for Saints but without it...
There wasn't even boos at full time tbh, everyone just turned away. Logan, bizarrely gave a two handed fist pump to the East Stand despite their only being about ten folk left and everyone was facing the other way or on their phone, strange guy.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Given what we've been through the last month or so, the team have shown massive character in the last 2 games.

6 points, 4 goals, none conceded. A wee bit of confidence and feel-good factor back in the side.

Big couple of games coming up against Hibs and Celtic. Our record against the top teams in the league (Easter Road aside) has been absolutely dreadful this season......time for that to change please. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That was grim viewing, we strung more than three consecutive passes together about three times all match, while Aberdeen scored two goals and camped themselves on the edge of their own box (McInnes going five at the back when you got your third was embarrassing btw, you should've smelt blood and put down a proper marker by getting five or six), the third a deflected free kick taken ten yards from where the ref gave it.

We're dreadful. I'll probably be called a drama queen but that opening half hour is the worst I've ever seen us. There was just nothing. The switch to 4-4-2 killed any chance of even a point though, an utterly baffling move that meant Christie, McLean, May, Rooney and Stewart were getting marked by Paton and Wotherspoon. Complete suicide.

Thomson replacing Scougall is probably the worst ever sub I've seen at McDiarmid aswell. The one and only player who's created regular chances in the match replaced by an absolutely useless "winger" who hasnt been seem for six months and struggled to make an impact in League One last season. Sums up the issue with our squad though. Cummins, Thomson and Alston are the "game changing subs" and they haven't got a goal between them for about 12 months.

Huge January awaits. Must be about TWs tenth window and he needs to get this one right.

Also, can we never, ever, ever see Paton and Davidson together again? I say it constantly, but neither of them has a single fraction of ability on the ball, it's soul destroying watching them constantly turn their back on the ball and then fly late into challenges

Complete drama queen regarding the first half.

The first half we were  okay. We went to pieces for a spell in the middle where we lost Murray and two poor goals.  Otherwise, Scougall was playing well, we created a few chances and if Macca had his shooting boots on would have had at least one goal.  Aberdeen were just far more clinical.

Second half we were awful. The third goal, a lucky deflection absolutely killed it, but we hadn't done anything up until then.  Seemed to lack any belief.

Tanser was very poor tonight, Foster was poor. And I know a lot of people love Paton because he punches the air and dives into tackles, but I'm looking for far more than a few sliding tackles, and a lot of sideways passes from a premiership starting midfielder. He's not good enough. But yes let's keep Chris Millar in the stand ...

Cummins was getting pelters around me whilst working the channels and winning headers. He at least stretched the game, albeit he is very frustrating at times. Thought Macca was ineffective in the second half and lucky not to be subbed.  Spoony was poor as well, but he constantly keeps trying to get things going and never ever hides. He just needs to stop having these mad moments where his decision making goes haywire!

Shinnie and Rooney showing their class by trying to get O'Halloran sent off.   Shinnie is a mile away from being an international player I'm afraid. Christie is class.

Archived