The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

15 minutes ago, Killie Zenit said:

Are we dating the Banter Years strictly to the start of liquidation?

Just wanted to make the case for the first game after admin was announced, since watching them all walk away at 1-0 down in the immediate wake of Super Ally telling everyone that they don't do walking away was pretty fucking funny.

I would go as far back as when whyte took over. Banter year day zero...

“wealth off the radar” was the start in my eyes...

Edited by flood

8 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

Was there not a story about them spending a fortune by staying at the Carnoustie Golf hotel to prepare for a night match against Forfar?

Aye was it not something like Mccoist had been moaning about fixture congestion and one of the Forfar players compared them preparing for the match at Carnoustie with him having to travel straight from his day job to the match :lol:

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

The Derek McInnes debacle has simply confirmed what most of us already knew; the Banter Years are never going away.

As @djchapsticks correctly pointed out in the The Rangers Next Permanent Manager thread:

I believe that a full, comprehensive list of these fuckups needs to be kept enshrined somewhere on the internet, and where better to do so than on Pie and Bovril. All contributions welcome, and will be updating the OP with the best of the moments that you can remember from the last 5 years. To get the ball rolling, here are a few of my own personal favourites from the 2012-13 season, with a large slice of help from the good folk at Rangers Media.

The Banter Years

2012/13

12th June 2012: HMRC announce that they will reject the CVA and, two days later, Rangers enter liquidation.

29th June 2012: Rangers need extra time to beat Brechin in the first round of the Ramsdens Cup. The ball also gets stuck on top of a hedge.

7th August 2012: Kevin Kyle signs for Rangers, he laters recalls: “I sat down with the manager and he asked what I was looking for and I just said a crazy figure and I almost got what I wanted.”

9th September 2012: Rangers' game this weekend is postponed because of international call ups. Seriously.

18th September 2012: Queen of the South knock Rangers out of the Ramsdens Cup on penalties at Ibrox.

6th October 2012: Rangers lose 1-0 at bottom of the table Stirling Albion, who are without a manager for the day as Greig McDonald is attending a wedding. After 7 games, Rangers' Third Division record reads played 7, won 3, drawn 3 and lost 1.

23rd November 2012: Elgin City vs Rangers is postponed, after Elgin sell too many tickets and have to call off the game on safety grounds.

2nd December 2012: That Elgin fan dancing in the away end at Ibrox.

29th December 2012: Some 30,000 Rangers fans travel to Hampden to play Queens Park. They require a 91st minute winner against the ten men. There are jubilant celebrations. Meanwhile, future multi-million pound player Andy Robertson plays a full 90 minutes at left back for Queens Park and escapes the notice of the Rangers scouts.

2nd February 2013: Rangers draw Dundee United away in the Scottish Cup fifth round, and declare a boycott of Tannadice. 365 Rangers fans turn up anyway and United win 3-0.

2013/14

24th July 2013: Rangers lose 1-0 in a friendly at Hillsborough. They unveil the most minterific banner ever seen.

3rd August 2013: Nicky Law's claims that Rangers can win the quadruple are extinguished by Forfar in the first round of the League Cup

22nd September 2013: Rangers exact revenge on Forfar in the league with a 1-0 win. Ally McCoist blames the wind for Rangers not scoring more.

14th December 2013: Stenhousemuir vs Rangers is postponed due to high winds, after a burger van blows into a temporary stand at Ochilview.

4th January 2014: Ally McCoist goes to the media and complains about a fixture pile up of 4 games in 11 days, despite his side being 14 points clear at the top and having a wage bill at least 10 times the size of anyone else's in League One.

6th April 2014: The first of the big game Banter Year losses IMHO. Raith Rovers beat Rangers 1-0 after extra time in the Ramsdens Cup final.

7th April 2014: Furious backlash as Rangers' staff party goes ahead as scheduled. Ally McCoist is caught doing karaoke just hours after loss to Raith.

12th April 2014: Despite being handed home advantage in a Scottish Cup semi final, Rangers are dismantled 3-1 by Dundee United at Ibrox.

2014/15

27th June 2014: Kris Boyd returns to Rangers, he winds up scoring just 3 goals in 29 Championship games.

10th August 2014: Rangers find themselves in the Championship with both Hearts and Hibs. On the opening day, trailing 1-0 to Hearts in injury time, they pull a last minute equaliser out of the bag to rescue a point. Except Osman Sow runs up the other end from kick off and gives Hearts the win and the springboard to win the league.

3rd September 2014: It is revealed that, in 2012, Mike Ashley bought the naming rights to Ibrox for a quid.

1st November 2014: Rangers progress to the League Cup semi final, and are drawn against Celtic for the first game between the two clubs since 2012. There is genuine excitement amongst the Rangers support.

3rd December 2014: Rangers are 2-0 up at Alloa and cruising into the Petrofac Training Cup final. 3 goals in 18 minutes send Alloa through instead.

12 December 2014: Ally McCoist offers his resignation, it's all up in the air for a few days and Rangers eventually confirm this. But he carries on as manager until...

21st December 2014: Ally McCoist is placed on gardening leave. Kenny McDowall, with all the willingness of an Iranian hostage, becomes caretaker.

22nd December 2014: The Rangers AGM to end all Rangers AGMs. Held in a gazebo, fans stuck in the away corner of Ibrox, everybody booed. Just glorious.

27th December 2014: Rangers lose 4-0 at Easter Road to Hibs. Hearts go 15 points clear at the top.

16th January 2015: Snow stops play between Rangers and Hearts at Ibrox, the fans then try to storm the main stand to protest against the board.

8th February 2015: Raith win at Ibrox for the first time since 1959, the ground's almost empty and Rangers are out of the Scottish Cup.

7th March 2015: Just a week after Hearts demolish Cowdenbeath 10-0, Rangers can only manage a 0-0 draw against the Blue Brazil.

12th March 2015: Stuart McCall is appointed Rangers manager. He starts off with home draws to relegation fodder Livingston and Alloa.

17th March 2015: Same old Alloa, always cheating.

2nd May 2015: Despite comfortably having the biggest budget in the league, Rangers contrive to finish 3rd in the Championship.

28th May 2015: After seeing off Queen of the South and Hibs, a full house at Ibrox watches on as Motherwell destroy Rangers 3-1 in the first leg of the play-off final.

31st May 2015: This is the second big game in the Banter Years. Rangers go to Fir Park knowing anything less than a 2 goal win is insufficient. They lose 3-0, making it 6-1 on aggregate. Here are just some of the incidents that occur: Lee McCulloch nearly has his eye taken out by a flag, Cammy Bell punches a looping ball into his own net, Bilel Mohsni punches Lee Erwin and Motherwell fans invade the pitch to goad the tiny allocation that Rangers were given. Rangers stay in the Championship for a second season, and their grand sweep back to the top flight of Scottish football is derailed.

The banter years started the day we beat them at Ibrox in their first game after entering Admin.

Glorious so it was.

Club 1872 would like to commend the restraint of the Rangers support following a clear attempt by Hibernian manager, Neil Lennon, to incite trouble at yesterday’s game at Ibrox.

Rangers and Club 1872 are always keen to remind our supporters of their duty to act as ambassadors for our club but that duty is not one that applies only to Rangers supporters.

Mr Lennon has previous for abusing and goading both Rangers staff and supporters. He seems completely unable to control himself at Ibrox. We can only speculate as to why. His actions in the dugout yesterday – where he made various inflammatory gestures to the supporters sitting directly behind the Hibernian dugout – were not becoming of any football manager, never mind one who likes to play the victim when things do not go his way. It is inexplicable that the fourth official chose to take no action against him at the time but, against the backdrop of possibly the worst refereeing performance ever seen at Ibrox, perhaps we should not be surprised.

Mr Lennon has been extensively quoted in the media as saying that he “didn’t make a gesture”. If that quote is accurate then he is not only irresponsible but a liar.

Had a Rangers supporter reacted to Mr Lennon’s actions yesterday then we would no doubt have been treated to further dramatic headlines about the persecution he has to suffer. Instead we have seen several media commentators make jokes about Lennon’s conduct. It is only because of the good sense of our supporters that they are in a position to do so.

Police Scotland categorised this match as high risk due to the behaviour of Hibernian supporters at the Scottish Cup Final in 2016 when Rangers players were attacked on the pitch. Neil Lennon knew that and he knew he had a responsibility to act in an appropriate manner. He shirked that responsibility and reverted to type.

We hope that Police Scotland will speak directly to Mr Lennon over the coming days and at the very least give him a warning over his future conduct at Ibrox. We also expect the SPFL to take action against Mr Lennon over his failed attempt to incite trouble.

In my opinion the banter years officially started when Dundee Utd won 2-0 at Ibrox in the Scottish about a week before they went into administration back in Feb 2012.

My own team then had the first after-admin bit of banter with a win
in Govan a couple of weeks later.

2015/16 up. To be honest there'll never been enough words to justify just how funny that cup final was. If the day didn't mean so much to me as a Hibs fan, I could probably appreciate the banter side of it even more. :lol:

2016/17 coming soon, Barton, Warburton, losing 5-1 to Celtic twice etc.

2015/16 up. To be honest there'll never been enough words to justify just how funny that cup final was. If the day didn't mean so much to me as a Hibs fan, I could probably appreciate the banter side of it even more. :lol:

Hallidays celebration after scoring to go 2-1 up in the final. Set the tone for what followed beautifully.

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

The Derek McInnes debacle has simply confirmed what most of us already knew; the Banter Years are never going away.

As @djchapsticks correctly pointed out in the The Rangers Next Permanent Manager thread:I believe that a full, comprehensive list of these fuckups needs to be kept enshrined somewhere on the internet, and where better to do so than on Pie and Bovril. All contributions welcome, and will be updating the OP with the best of the moments that you can remember from the last 5 years. up the league a few days earlier. Things are looking up.

I feel truly honoured to play a tiny bit part role in what will in time be remembered as your magnum opus. 

Thank you for the honour and the banter, sir. 

53 minutes ago, xj2011 said:

the final few minutes and aftermath of the Hibs cup final, not to mention the invention of the nickname "Stranger Dangers" still brings a ray of sunshine to the cloudiest of days 

I live in the Southside and watching the Rangers fans trooping towards Shawlands after the game was tremendous.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

You've neatly skipped over the part when Hearts romped the Championship well ahead of them.