The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

13 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

The Derek McInnes debacle has simply confirmed what most of us already knew; the Banter Years are never going away.

As @djchapsticks correctly pointed out in the The Rangers Next Permanent Manager thread:

I believe that a full, comprehensive list of these fuckups needs to be kept enshrined somewhere on the internet, and where better to do so than on Pie and Bovril. All contributions welcome, and will be updating the OP with the best of the moments that you can remember from the last 5 years. To get the ball rolling, here are a few of my own personal favourites from the 2012-13 season, with a large slice of help from the good folk at Rangers Media.

The Banter Years

12th June 2012: HMRC announce that they will reject the CVA and, two days later, Rangers enter liquidation.

29th June 2012: Rangers need extra time to beat Brechin in the first round of the Ramsdens Cup. The ball also gets stuck on top of a hedge.

7th August 2012: Kevin Kyle signs for Rangers, he laters recalls: “I sat down with the manager and he asked what I was looking for and I just said a crazy figure and I almost got what I wanted.”9th September 2012: Rangers' game this weekend is postponed because of international call ups. Seriously.

18th September 2012: Queen of the South knock Rangers out of the Ramsdens Cup on penalties at Ibrox.

6th October 2012: Rangers lose 1-0 at bottom of the table Stirling Albion, who are without a manager for the day as Greig McDonald is attending a wedding. After 7 games, Rangers' Third Division record reads played 7, won 3, drawn 3 and lost 1.

23rd November 2012: Elgin City vs Rangers is postponed, after Elgin sell too many tickets and have to call off the game on safety grounds.

2nd December 2012: That Elgin fan dancing in the away end at Ibrox.

29th December 2012: Some 30,000 Rangers fans travel to Hampden to play Queens Park. They require a 91st minute winner against the ten men. There are jubilant celebrations. Meanwhile, future multi-million pound player Andy Robertson, plays a full 90 minutes at left back for Queens Park and escapes the notice of the Rangers scouts.

2nd February 2013: Rangers draw Dundee United away in the Scottish Cup fifth round, and declare a boycott of Tannadice. 365 Rangers fans turn up anyway and United win 3-0.

Didn't Kyle go in to chance his arm with a fairly ludicrous figure of what he would initially ask for

- only to be immediately- and unprompted -  offered multiples of that figure?

We played them at Ibrox on boxing day that season and the seethe from either side of us when we had our "happy first Xmas" banner/bedsheet was glorious.

Only sticking one solitary goal past Forres Mechanics raised a few chuckles too.

That's 2013/14 up, looking back, it was a fairly quiet period of the Banter Years, they walked the league and it was only really saved by some end of season magic in the cups. There might have been off the field stuff I'm forgetting, but I think 2014/15 is where this really heats up.

- Charles Green's Xmas message

- The Hibs cup final

- Just about every statement they've ever made

ETA: Their first game in Division 3 against Peterhead.  I remember it was on in the pub before the Dons game and it was just a joy to behold.  Wasn't even aware of the hilarity still to come.

Edited by Dons_1988

Charles Green  was making all sorts of ludicrous statements to get the fans on his side getting rapped by the authorities in the process. Didn't he also refer to an Asian director with a racist term and claimed it was just banter?

Just now, Sloop John B said:

Charles Green  was making all sorts of ludicrous statements to get the fans on his side getting rapped by the authorities in the process. Didn't he also refer to an Asian director with a racist term and claimed it was just banter?

Yes, I think he called him a 'little p**i'

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

That's 2013/14 up, looking back, it was a fairly quiet period of the Banter Years, they walked the league and it was only really saved by some end of season magic in the cups. There might have been off the field stuff I'm forgetting, but I think 2014/15 is where this really heats up.

I would add in the fact that despite what should have been an embarassing loss to us in the cup final, the club party went ahead regardless and Super Ally was only too happy to hit the karaoke that night.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fans-fury-after-ally-3387132