Wanting your own team to lose a match

There's never been occasions when I have actively wanted United to lose, but there have been several occasions in the last three or so years when we have been losing and I have thought "I really don't give a f**k any more", which is not quite the same thing.

With hindsight, I am quite glad we lost that penalty shoot out in the 2016 Scottish Cup semi final against Hibs, as there was no way our fucking shambles of a team would have beaten The Rangers in the final.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snafu said:

It is true though that some supporters hatred for a certain rivals is too overwhelming and they would rather see their team lose than their hated team succeeding.

Imagine being a player or a member of a football club knowing there are so called individuals that call themselves fans of their club, must be soul destroying when that team is trying their hardest and putting the effort in only to have these same so called fans wanting the club they are supposed to support to fail just so it they can see their agenda succeed.

Now here's a hypothetical scenario for you - Motherwell are at home to Rangers on the last day of the season, Celtic are at home to Hearts. Rangers lead Celtic by one point in the league, now Motherwell need to win to claim third from Aberdeen for a Europa League spot and a decent amount of prize money. Now would you want Motherwell to beat Rangers?

It certainly is true that there are some supporters of various clubs who's hatred of another club outweighs their love of their own. Take the threats and promises to boycott their own clubs if they didn't vote against Newco Rangers being allowed to play in the top flight in season 2012/2013 as evidence of that. I wasn't in favour of it either but I certainly wouldn't have turned my back on Motherwell FC if they hadn't voted no to that.

In answer to the question of your scenario, in those circumstances I would of course want Motherwell to beat Rangers if it meant that was the difference between finishing 3rd rather than 4th and gain better prize money. If we had nothing to play for though I would take the defeat in those circumstances.

2 hours ago, happyaccie said:

No proof of any link between Accies & sevco that he keeps talking shit about, then he posts conclusive evidence Sellick is his big team not the brightest I would suggest.

You genuinely might be the thickest poster on here.

2 hours ago, happyaccie said:

He meant it, he has just geographically been misplaced in Edinburgh, if he lived in the WoS he would roll up to parkhead on match days religiously .

You mean crossing himself and rattling his beads?

Or carrying his prayer mat, removing his shoes when he enters Parkhead and praying to Mecca?

Or sitting in the back row with a poke of peppermints?

5 hours ago, MJC said:

Has anyone ever been in a situation where they wanted/weren't too bothered about their own team losing a match? Maybe if say a rival club stood to benefit if your team win.

The only time I can ever think of personally was in May 2005, we had secured top six and had nothing to play for and our last two games where Rangers away and Celtic at home where if Celtic won they would win the league at Fir Park. I can remember thinking before the game at Ibrox that I wouldn't mind losing that one if it prevented the other lot winning the league and getting the trophy at our ground the following week. I didn't for a second think we would actually beat Celtic in that scenario but I thought how hilarious and poetic it would be if we did.

Anyway, we got pumped 4-1 against Rangers, not a single f**k was given by me and the next week... well we all know what happened. :)

MJC clearly got bored of his non-trolling stage he went through a month or so ago.

I've never hoped to lose a match, but I'm probably at my most ambivalent in any game when I know a win would mean far more to the opposition than it does to me. For example, early on in the cup, when drawn against a chronically unsuccessful lower league team.

I remember too in the Billy Stark era thinking it would be better to lose a game 4-0 and get him punted,  rather than what happened: a lengthy run of narrow, depressing defeats, which were like a series of small, painful cuts.

From around Christmas onwards of the 2014/15 season when we finished 7th in League One. I didn't necessarily want us to get beat every week, but when Stranraer are knocking 5 past you, it's hard to care too much.

I have never wanted to see my team get beat. I can understand what some other fans  have said regarding taking a defeat to get rid of an inept manager but as an Accies fan, no matter how bad the results get that just simply won't happen.

There was a couple of fans on here that bet against their team.

I always do but that's because I often lose.

Last season was almost the exception - 6 games in a row we lost - let the winnings roll - reached £1300 from a £10 initial bet. Eventually decided to lump the lot on us getting relegated - Hartley was gone after defeat seven - and a potential £5800 win went.

I've never been in a situation where I've wanted my own team to lose, although there are a few scenarios that I would deem it acceptable to lose/not try

- If we played Celtic and they had to win to clinch the title I would accept defeat in that match.

-if we were in a cup final with Celtic and they were A) going for the treble and had to win this match to attain it
B) we played Celtic in a final and they were going to go without one piece of silverware in that season.

Big team found

And surprisingly it turns out to be Saint Mirren from the mid ‘80s

20 minutes ago, mylothedog said:

You seem upset bud? What happened?

I think, I THINK, he's referring to that time St Mirren lost 5-0 to Celtic on Saturday 3rd May 1986, which cruelly snatched the title away from Hearts.

What's less well known is that Hearts needed just a draw in their game against Dundee to make the game at Love Street completely, wholly irrelevant. 

Luckily (not just for Celtbernian fans like us, but Scottish football in general), Craig Levein hid under some coats in the dressing room and Hearts lost 2-0.

Spoiler

5a288862c554d_ScreenShot2017-12-07at00_16_07.thumb.png.c2b2dc6dc22f1e4f774d41ec73e6155b.png

I think, I THINK, he's referring to that time St Mirren lost 5-0 to Celtic on Saturday 3rd May 1986, which cruelly snatched the title away from Hearts.
What's less well known is that Hearts needed just a draw in their game against Dundee to make the game at Love Street completely, wholly irrelevant. 
Luckily (not just for Celtbernian fans like us, but Scottish football in general), Craig Levein hid under some coats in the dressing room and Hearts lost 2-0.
Spoiler 5a288862c554d_ScreenShot2017-12-07at00_16_07.thumb.png.c2b2dc6dc22f1e4f774d41ec73e6155b.png

Probably my favourite ever memory supporting Hibs.

AK 86

There was a strange situation 2 seasons ago where most Ayr fans wanted us to get beat by Peterhead in the 2nd last game of the season so that they would finish 2nd and us 3rd, meaning that in the playoffs they would come to us midweek and we would go up there on the Saturday.  

I kinda get the selfish logic behind it, but f**k finishing 3rd in League One :lol:

Spoiler

Due to that nobody was bothered about going so there wasnt even a bus just 6 or 7 of us in a mini bus and about 3 or 4 other fans showed up as well.  Pumped them 4-1, back up a week and a bit later to pump them 4-1 again.  :guntoting

Archived