Wanting your own team to lose a match

Has anyone ever been in a situation where they wanted/weren't too bothered about their own team losing a match? Maybe if say a rival club stood to benefit if your team win.

The only time I can ever think of personally was in May 2005, we had secured top six and had nothing to play for and our last two games where Rangers away and Celtic at home where if Celtic won they would win the league at Fir Park. I can remember thinking before the game at Ibrox that I wouldn't mind losing that one if it prevented the other lot winning the league and getting the trophy at our ground the following week. I didn't for a second think we would actually beat Celtic in that scenario but I thought how hilarious and poetic it would be if we did.

Anyway, we got pumped 4-1 against Rangers, not a single f**k was given by me and the next week... well we all know what happened. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

The whole Bomber Brown era verged on that for me tbh. Not quite - but certainly close.

To be honest there were a few Well fans who actually posted on steelmenonline that they wouldn't mind losing to Morton in the league cup a couple of seasons back if it resulted in Ian Baraclough getting the boot. As it happened we did lose and he did get the boot.

I've never been in a situation where I've wanted my own team to lose, although there are a few scenarios that I would deem it acceptable to lose/not try

- If we played Celtic and they had to win to clinch the title I would accept defeat in that match.

-if we were in a cup final with Celtic and they were A) going for the treble and had to win this match to attain it
B) we played Celtic in a final and they were going to go without one piece of silverware in that season.

League Cup semi final v Motherwell in 2005. The final was my mum's 50th birthday and I knew that she'd insist that my brothers and I went to it, but I knew I'd feel really guilty about doing so.

Went to the semi, went nuts when we came back from 2-0 down, but when I woke up the next morning I was ultimately glad we'd lost. Still am.

10 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I've never been in a situation where I've wanted my own team to lose, although there are a few scenarios that I would deem it acceptable to lose/not try

- If we played Celtic and they had to win to clinch the title I would accept defeat in that match.

-if we were in a cup final with Celtic and they were A) going for the treble and had to win this match to attain it
B) we played Celtic in a final and they were going to go without one piece of silverware in that season.

Oh you. What are you like.

41 minutes ago, MJC said:

Has anyone ever been in a situation where they wanted/weren't too bothered about their own team losing a match? Maybe if say a rival club stood to benefit if your team win.

The only time I can ever think of personally was in May 2005, we had secured top six and had nothing to play for and our last two games where Rangers away and Celtic at home where if Celtic won they would win the league at Fir Park. I can remember thinking before the game at Ibrox that I wouldn't mind losing that one if it prevented the other lot winning the league and getting the trophy at our ground the following week. I didn't for a second think we would actually beat Celtic in that scenario but I thought how hilarious and poetic it would be if we did.

Anyway, we got pumped 4-1 against Rangers, not a single f**k was given by me and the next week... well we all know what happened. :)

Surprise Surprise. :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I think that you’re a tad confused. These scenarios actually make you a Celtic supporter. What was that? Oh, you really are. Perfect.

If we played Hibs and they had to win to clinch the title I would accept defeat in that match.

-if we were in a cup final with Hibs and they were A) going for the treble and had to win this match to attain it 
B) we played Hibs in a final and they were going to go without one piece of silverware in that season.

17 minutes ago, Romeo said:

If we played Hibs and they had to win to clinch the title I would accept defeat in that match.

-if we were in a cup final with Hibs and they were A) going for the treble and had to win this match to attain it 
B) we played Hibs in a final and they were going to go without one piece of silverware in that season.

I see what you did there! Clever chap!

Not so much wanting my team to lose, but I remember being 4-1 down to St Mirren the year they went down and wanting them to get five or six.

We'd been so rotten that I guess it was one of those "if you don't laugh you'll cry" situations and I remember finding it genuinely funny how awful we were.

Everyone around me was fuming and I'm thinking "give us five, just for the banter".  At one point Craig Samson wandered out of the box with the ball still in his hands. Video footage can be found here.

Gary Locke still got the job on a permanent basis after that match. True story.

Archived