Dunfermline v Queens

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Our best chance of scoring is probably through Dobbie or a defender up for a set-piece, or an og.   Goals from any of our midfielders are are rare as hen's teeth. 

We have scored 13 goals in 8 away games. Of those, 6 have been scored by defenders from corners (including 1 og), 5 from open play (3 Dobbie, 1 Lyle, 1 Stirling) and 2 penalties (both Dobbie). So, the most likely source of a goal is from a defender at a corner. Saying that, 2 of them were scored by Fordyce and he is out. Eta I think one he got was actually following a free-kick.

It is also worth noting that 5 of the goals were scored against Falkirk and Brechin, so we have 8 goals from 6 away games outside the bottom 2. Of those, 4 were defenders from set pieces (inc the og) 1 pen and 3 from open play (Lyle, Dobbie and Stirling with 1 each).

If we win this, it will be Naysmith’s first away win against a top 4 side after a year in charge. We’ve only won 2 altogether, both at home and both last season.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Flash said:

It is also worth noting that 5 of the goals were scored against Falkirk and Brechin, so we have 8 goals from 6 away games outside the bottom 2. Of those, 4 were defenders from corners (inc the og) 1 pen and 3 from open play (Lyle, Dobbie and Stirling with 1 each).

To be pedantic, they weren't all corners. The Fordyce one at United was a free kick near halfway. They were all from set pieces though. Depending on what point a set piece reverts to "open play" you might also argue Dobbie's goal at Morton came from a set piece. It was a second phase after the ball was initially cleared out towards halfway but that was why Darren Brownlie was still up in the penalty area to head the ball down to Dobbie.

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be pedantic, they weren't all corners. The Fordyce one at United was a free kick near halfway. They were all from set pieces though. Depending on what point a set piece reverts to "open play" you might also argue Dobbie's goal at Morton came from a set piece. It was a second phase after the ball was initially cleared out towards halfway but that was why Darren Brownlie was still up in the penalty area to head the ball down to Dobbie.

Yeah, I realised shortly after posting that one was a free-kick so edited it before I’d seen yours. For some reason I thought it was Dykes who headed it down at Morton which is maybe why I forgot how it came about.

Eta so 13 goals, in 8 away games, 7 following set plays, 2 penalties, 4 open play (2 v Falkirk, 2 v Livi). So the most likely source of a goal is from a set piece including a penalty and in 6 games out of the 8 so far, we have failed to score any other type of goal.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally, if we happen to beat Dunfermline on Saturday through a set piece goal I'll be happy to enjoy it. They count just the same. I'm enjoyed carrying a set piece threat into games this season in a way we haven't done for years.

Me too. Was just interested in looking at it after Ftb posted how we were most likely to score.

19 hours ago, Myko said:

I've attended a few Pars games this season as a neutral. My general feeling is that they dominate possession, win a lot of soft free kicks, hesitate at the edge of the box, but somehow end up finding a jammy goal or two in and around the six yard box = the results often paper over erratic and haphazard performances. Dumbarton were very unlucky to not bag all three points a few weeks back.

If Queens can defend solidly at the edge of their box, attack out wide and fire some decent balls in to the box,  it'll be an uncomfy afternoon for the shaky pars rearguard.

Gut instinct says scrappy game though, home side with an undeserved 2-1 win.

I agree with a lot of what you say but can only think of a couple of "jammy" goals - Higgy's first against Livingston and the opener against Morton. 

It is good to see we have Nicky Clark back from injury for tomorrow's match. Unfortunately, it seems to be a week or two too soon for Andy Ryan. 

I would like to see the formation of last weekend kept and I would keep the starting eleven the same, possibly with the exception of Aird in for Higginbotham. 

It'll be a tough match; Queens are a good side. 

21 goals between Dobbie and Lyle this year. 13 goals between four defenders - Kerr, Fordyce, Rooney and Brownlie - as well shows the threats they pose. 

Talking of QoS defenders, here is an article with Scott Mercer, previewing tomorrow's encounter:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/08/mercer-hoping-to-keep-personal-unbeaten-record-going-against-the-pars/

20 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally, if we happen to beat Dunfermline on Saturday through a set piece goal I'll be happy to enjoy it. They count just the same. I'm enjoying carrying a set piece threat into games this season in a way we haven't done for years.

Quite agree about set piece goals,  any type of goals for Queens should be enjoyed but it's a pity that we don't carry more of a scoring  threat from the (centre) midfield department. 

Its the nature of this league that games like this are so hard to call. Both sides struggling for form and goals. It's a genuine toss up here IMO.

I'll go for Super Joe to finally find his pre-injury form, Fraser Aird to turn his promising form into an end product, Calum Morris to stop looking shite and Nicky Clark to bag a brace.

3-0 Pars. Why not?

It must be a decade since we had a game called off for frost with only 2 games vs rovers off since, 1 was caused called off as 'its icy outside'(funny that no other local business was forced to close) and a waterlogged pitch caused by some ridiculously heavy rainfall during the hour before k.o

Which game was it when we had the undersoil heating on but it was knackered and there was a big patch unplayable? That must have been in the last decade. My favourite (not really) postponement was when a game was called off for fog when there was near perfect visibility. Think it was Bobby Madden who called it off super early? This was despite everyone saying that the fog was going to lift within an hour or so.

On 07/12/2017 at 15:58, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally, if we happen to beat Dunfermline on Saturday through a set piece goal I'll be happy to enjoy it. They count just the same. I'm enjoying carrying a set piece threat into games this season in a way we haven't done for years.

Our free kicks roundabout the pen. box are very poor surely time for Dobbie to let someone else hit them.Perfect example on Saturday against Inverness when just outside the box freekick hit into the wall.

Archived