The February Friendship Derby: Berwick Rangers v Clyde OKI

December 6th:

This evening we celebrate the career of a man who, like Paul McMullan before him, donned the colours of both of our historic clubs with some aplomb. Fabio Cannavaro in his own box and Peter Crouch in that of his opponents', this well-kent lower league centre back is one of very few men whose reputation hasn't been completely tarnished by his association with Angus clubs. 

He's unmistakable, he's unforgettable, he's a walking and talking red card. He is every stadium announcer's worst nightmare. He is Michael "Bolo" Bolochoweckyj.

bologif.gif

I can picture it now: the ball-boys carrying  from the tunnel a 50ft banner of a handshake whilst fireworks arc over the stadium, the explosions filling the sky with the colours of these wonderful clubs. Players from the two sides warmly embrace in the tunnel as Lennon and Horn proudly look on, wiping single tears from each other's cheeks with club crest embroidered handkerchiefs.

The camera pans round to reveal the fans all mixed together in the stands, each man, woman and child adorning half-and-half scarves,  arms over each other's shoulders, swaying rhythmically as they belt out Savage Garden's 'Truly Madly Deeply'.

For 90 minutes the ground is steeped in an unparalleled atmosphere of euphoric joy amidst a global climate of darkened uncertainty. As the fans file out, and the hugs and kisses flow, there's a palpable belief that maybe,  just maybe, tomorrow will be ok.

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

I can picture it now: the ball-boys carrying  from the tunnel a 50ft banner of a handshake whilst fireworks arc over the stadium, the explosions filling the sky with the colours of these wonderful clubs. Players from the two sides warmly embrace in the tunnel as Lennon and Horn proudly look on, wiping single tears from each other's cheeks with club crest embroidered handkerchiefs.
The camera pans round to reveal the fans all mixed together in the stands, each man, woman and child adorning half-and-half scarves,  arms over each other's shoulders, swaying rhythmically as they belt out Savage Garden's 'Truly Madly Deeply'.
For 90 minutes the ground is steeped in an unparalleled atmosphere of euphoric joy amidst a global atmosphere of darkened uncertainty. As the fans file out, and the hugs and kisses flow, there's a palpable belief that maybe,  just maybe, tomorrow will be ok.

What are you on?[emoji33]

4 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

For 90 minutes the ground is steeped in an unparalleled atmosphere of euphoric joy amidst a global climate of darkened uncertainty. As the fans file out, and the hugs and kisses flow, there's a palpable belief that maybe,  just maybe, tomorrow will be ok.

:lol::lol::lol:

December 7th: 

In an ode to today's date, we honour perhaps one of the greatest number 7's the game has ever known. The kind of exciting winger that box-office P&B poster and diddy-club supporter Francesc Fabregas would dedicate his life to, Pat Nevin is a man who relishes pressure.

Standing at a diminutive 5ft6, Nevin started his senior career at the OKI. One could be forgiven for assuming that Nevin wouldn't have adapted to the rough and tough nature of the 1981-82 Second Division, which featured incredibly heavy cloggers such as Albion Rovers, Montrose and worst of all, Cowdenbeath. Yet, Nevin tore the division an arsehole bigger than Dick Campbell, winning the league and being named Division 2 Player of the Year. 

However, neither of those achievements were his most notable memories from that season. Pat came up against 4th placed Berwick Rangers no less than five occasions in that season, and despite having divisional dominance over all, Clyde only tasted victory once over the Black & Gold Army. Through those tough battles, Nevin established a true respect for Berwick, and suddenly his life goal became clear.

After completing career in football, including spells at the likes of Chelsea and working for brands such as the BBC, Nevin settled down for a quiet life. Where did he choose to come live? I'm sure you can guess...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

December 8th:

I'm sorry for the wait - I know it's late. But here's number 8 - it's Berwick great, Eric Tait!

Eric is a true Berwick Rangers stalwart, a club legend in his own right. With well over 500 appearances and 100 goals for The Borderers after joining from Coldstream, it goes without saying that he's the all-time Berwick record holder in both categories. Having managed the club for 4 years alongside his playing duties (which saw him play in every position on the pitch), he's now best-known to Wee Gers and opposition fans alike as the exuberant host of Berwick Rangers TV, where he routinely displays limited journalistic ability and passionately rants to the incumbent Berwick gaffer/the game's man of the match about his take on what's just unfolded during the preceding 90 minutes. Known for his catchphrase, "Well, John", during Coughlin's now-finished reign as Berwick boss, Eric caught wind of a video compilation featuring the catchphrase and has since reined himself in. Without further ado, here is the now-customary GIF and a link to said compilation. 

8erricc.gif

Saturday 9th December: 

Happy game day, everyone! What do you mean Peterhead have absolutely fucking shat themselves and called off the fixture in the hope that Danny Lennon passes away between now and the rearranged fixture? Fucking teuchter mutants. #MergeTheHighlands

Well, we're now just two weeks away from the biggest display of sportsmanship, friendship and love in SPFL history. To celebrate, we today commemorate a man that John Coughlin once tried and very sadly failed to sign. Surely had he secured his signature, Coughlin's Berwick would have been known as the fattest football team in Scottish football?

One thing we do know though, is that Gemmell once told P&B poster Francesc Fabregas on the tellhimhesQP0607 podcast that 'nobody wants to sign for Berwick anymore'. But that is not a grudge Berwick fans hold. In fact, Berwick fans are very much admirers of the straight-talking giant, who seems to have an opinion on absolutely fucking everything.

Why, you ask? Well, other than his historic stay at Clyde, he is yet another player to see the sense in nuking Montrose. In a once-in-a-lifetime show of ambition from the diddies, a 'private backer' splashed out to sign the hitman back in 2009, throwing money at him to join the club. What they didn't anticipate was that John quite simply could not be arsed, picking up his mega wage despite rarely training and putting together a string of disinterested performances, before ultimately leaving as a much-hated figure by all deformed Montrose monstrosities.  

Nowadays John can be found on Twitter, live tweeting Bolivian League 4 matches. Usually I'd present an unbelievably good gif at this point, but today something weird happened. John Gemmell is actually so fucking huge that the gif creator simply could not hold his vast bulk. So here is some of John, celebrating for the great OKI. 

giphy.gif

On 07/12/2017 at 06:58, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Quoting this as fans of these great clubs deserve a chance to read it a second time.

December 10th:

Today we have another late - but great - submission, just sneaking in before the deadline. It's a man synonymous with Berwick's better sides of the past decade, but one who may best be remembered as the man who dared Jimmy Crease to substitute him, before throwing his shirt at the 58-time Berwick boss on his way off the park and engaging in fisticuffs with him in the Hampden Park tunnel. Or perhaps, he's remembered most of all for a bizarre meltdown during which he invited a supremely popular and right honourable Berwick fan to insert the player's seasonal top goalscorer reward inside said fan's own rectum.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Darren GribbenGribbs' career has been a nomadic one, and in the black and gold he played some of his best stuff, appearing for the club from 2008-2012 across two spells. Those spells bookended a move to Dumbarton; during his short time there, Darren was accused by fellow players of thievery and was shortly after bodied out the door. Before returning to Berwick, though, Gribben sampled life in the juniors - where he's currently plying his trade. 

grib10.gif

December 11th:

Sad news in the Berwick household means this one arrives late, for which I can only apologise. However, my conscience has been eating away at me, and so here I sit at 5am, typing away on a broken keyboard which has no u, p or t keys, meaning I have to copy and paste each one, looking for a way to make it up to the finest set of supporters in global football. 

For his reason, there will be no gif, but let that not take away from the man.  I wanted to ensure I made amends for my behavior, and what better way than through the big game player himself? A man who simply lives for the big occasion. It's arguably the friendship derby's most proflic player. A provider of moments of great celebration for both teams, it's David 'Goals' Gormley. 

CUWYZqwWwAELw3b.jpg

Sadly we appear to have been let down for the 12th. But do not fear because...

December 13th: 

Neil Janczyk is here! Yes ladies and gentlemen, shove that unlucky for some nonsense right up your nearest Angusman's arse, because it's time for the pork pie eating machine. With a belly like Santa and a cock like Enoch Showumni, Janczyk was an electric talent who graduated from the youth academy of Hearts, delivering two world class assists to down rivals Hibernian, in what is a derby sadly founded on much more cavemen-like grounds. Thankfully, Neil thought better of being involved in such vile hatred, and soon dropped down the leagues to find himself.

From 2012 to 2014, he was in the form of his life in the Black & Gold of Berwick Rangers FC. Naturally impressed by the kebab-loving podger's turnaround, Clyde came in with a megabucks bid which Berwick were, as great friends of the club, only too happy to accept. Though Neil only stayed with the club for half a season, rumours still circulate that his spirit can be found in the centre circle on match days - which makes a lot of sense given he very rarely left it. 

giphy.gif