EOS Grounds for Optimism

21 minutes ago, GordonS said:

"Data as of 1 May." Is there a reason you're using five-month old data?

Yes, there's a limit to how long I am going to spend googling for the perfect graphic on this. That's still well past the main peak in most of the countries. The USA is a bit of an exception as the most urban states with lots of public transport like NY peaked early like western Europe did, but the lower population density ones did so later. All you would see after June or so on a logarithmic y-axis scale for the European countries is a flat line extending out across the graph. Most of the important info is readily available in that plot.

1280px-COVID-19-Europe-selection-relativ

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Correct. I am not scared of my own shadow. I am scared of a virus that has a decent chance of killing my sister-in-law who has asthma and is recovering from cancer treatment, my son's pal with diabetes and my 75-year-old father-in-law.

About 45,000 deaths so far in the UK, well over 100 new cases confirmed in West Lothian in the past week, and folk are convincing themselves that everything is fine.

Exactly and those people you mentioned could just as easily die from the flu. Do you not think I have old people that I care about who I don't want to be anywhere near a virus. But life goes on. No-one seems to get I was in the Supermarkets when everything was shut down and everyone was piling in. The one I work in is one of the smaller ones so didn't have as big queues so people from all over were even coming in including your chairman who as far as I know doesn't live in the Falkirk area.  Their was more chance of something happening then than their is now. The more things that are open the more people are spread out.

14 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Exactly and those people you mentioned could just as easily die from the flu. Do you not think I have old people that I care about who I don't want to be anywhere near a virus. But life goes on. No-one seems to get I was in the Supermarkets when everything was shut down and everyone was piling in. The one I work in is one of the smaller ones so didn't have as big queues so people from all over were even coming in including your chairman who as far as I know doesn't live in the Falkirk area.  Their was more chance of something happening then than their is now. The more things that are open the more people are spread out.

He's a boness 👊💦 

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's 9 miles by road despite 8mileBU's username. Think he works in Falkirk (AudacesFortunaJuvat stays/stayed in Camelon and worked with him), so not necessarily anything untoward with him doing that given his job would have been viewed as an essential one.

It was 8 miles from my house which is at the start of Falkirk to boness town centre

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's 9 miles by road despite 8mileBU's username. Think he works in Falkirk (AudacesFortunaJuvat stays/stayed in Camelon and worked with him), so not necessarily anything untoward with him doing that given his job would have been viewed as an essential one.

I think we may be talking about different person. It wasnt tynierose isnt he the secretary. The person I've seen listed as president and chairman and as far as I knew was from linlithgow 

23 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Exactly and those people you mentioned could just as easily die from the flu

They could die of the flu, but they absolutely could not "just as easily" die from the flu. The risk to those groups from coronavirus is massively, massively higher. Surely to Christ everyone knows this by now???

You're arguing without knowing the absolute basics, so I'll stop there.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

They could die of the flu, but they absolutely could not "just as easily" die from the flu. The risk to those groups from coronavirus is massively, massively higher. Surely to Christ everyone knows this by now???

Your information often appears to be several months out of date. The IFR for COVID-19 turned out to be much lower than originally feared so "massively, massively higher" no longer holds.

https://swprs.org/facts-about-covid-19/

Edited by LongTimeLurker

54 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You're arguing without knowing the absolute basics, so I'll stop there.

Millions die of the flu every year from the group you specified. Time to try back to normal. People are fed up and you can bet that's the reason behind nicola not having her circuit breaker lockdown. U and jason leitch can stay in the house I'll look forward to  normality 

On 03/10/2020 at 11:39, Dev said:

St Andrews United now with Planning Permission and  Glenrothes have said that they will be going for a Club Licence. Any news of progress with getting Lit-up there?

Any news about the remaining Licenced Clubs without Lights i.e. Girvan, Wigton & Bladnoch and Burntisland Shipyard? There was a mention on P&B that Burnisland may have started work on theirs.

Darvel is saying that they will be applying to planning permission and Irvine Meadow are tweeting that they are within £250 of reaching their fund raising target towards getting Flood Lit. I believe that I read that Gartcairn's up-grade to their ground includes Flood-Lights.

Golspie Sutherland from the NCL now with Lights.

If only clubs could have the chance to get back to normal and be able to use their Flood-Lights in front of fans without the threat of covid.

Nothing to do with the EoS but:

Edited by Dev

On 06/10/2020 at 13:27, AlanCamelonfan said:

Millions die of the flu every year from the group you specified. Time to try back to normal. People are fed up and you can bet that's the reason behind nicola not having her circuit breaker lockdown. U and jason leitch can stay in the house I'll look forward to  normality 

You're incredibly wrong, millions don't die from the flu every year. Go and do some basic homework before arguing with people about this.

If you did, you'd know that 1) between 290,000 and 650,000 die from the flu each year, not "millions" ; 2) we've already had a million coronavirus deaths globally despite restrictions on daily life that are without precedent in human history, and we're absolutely nowhere near the top of this 3) at-risk groups considerably reduce their exposure to flu each year through a vaccine, but there's no vaccine for coronavirus and 4) coronavirus does a shit-ton more harm to the body than the flu does, so for many who aren't killed by it they are killed by something else or experience severe and long-term complications.

I don't go around spouting opinions about civil engineering, pop music or Thai food, because I know nothing about them. You're at the same level on this. Please just stop.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You're incredibly wrong, millions don't die from the flu every year. Go and do some basic homework before arguing with people about this.

If you did, you'd know that 1) between 290,000 and 650,000 die from the flu each year, not "millions" ; 2) we've already had a million coronavirus deaths globally despite restrictions on daily life that are without precedent in human history, and we're absolutely nowhere near the top of this 3) at-risk groups considerably reduce their exposure to flu each year through a vaccine, but there's no vaccine for coronavirus and 4) coronavirus does a shit-ton more harm to the body than the flu does, so for many who aren't killed by it they are killed by something else or experience severe and long-term complications.

I don't go around spouting opinions about civil engineering, pop music or Thai food, because I know nothing about them. You're at the same level on this. Please just stop.

I know nothing about covid except its a killer. But what I can't get my head round. If you have/had covid and been in hospital. And then if you get killed in a car crash or hit by a bus. Within 28 days of being discharged from hospital. Your death certificate, cause of death is covid. That's a wtf to me. 

14 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

I know nothing about covid except its a killer. But what I can't get my head round. If you have/had covid and been in hospital. And then if you get killed in a car crash or hit by a bus. Within 28 days of being discharged from hospital. Your death certificate, cause of death is covid. That's a wtf to me. 

Think that, at least in England, that's been changed and changed retrospectively too. Not sure about in Scotland.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

So why are you giving all this expert opinion on this then. 

The latest shambles by snp is backward step. We should be handing power to Berlin because they are clearly the only ones capable as snp and boris johnson clearly cant.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Fife seems to have been removed from the Cental belt, which is nice.

You have the shambles that clackmannan has a 10 cases per 100000 pubs are closed bit 5mins up the road kincardine can open their pubs because they are in fife. That tells u all u need to know about snp

On 05/10/2020 at 13:31, lithgierose said:

He's a boness 👊💦 

@GordonS stays in Bo’ness do you mean?

If so, @GordonS - Where do you go do your shopping? Tesco or Lidl?

On 05/10/2020 at 14:48, LongTimeLurker said:

When I coined ‘8milebu’ it was a rough guesstimate of how far it was from my then house to Newtown Park. It’s now 8.5 miles to be precise.

Anyway I’m confused, who you talking about? Who works in Falkirk and whose job’s viewed as essential?