EOS Grounds for Optimism

3 hours ago, magoo said:

What qere the costs involved for a 20 seat stand

No sure about costs but if its in same place as when they played ww might have visionary troubles of the pitch especially down the wings. It was at least 3 or 4 yards behind the pitch . I'd expect a gap be made in the pitch boundary fence. 

4 hours ago, magoo said:

What qere the costs involved for a 20 seat stand

Container with three sides cut away. Solid base to put it on obviously. Bit of joinery work. Bucket seats and a hand rail.

Doubt there much cost wise between that and the containers that i've seen holding 50 seats.

DIY and you're only looking at the transport costs for the container.

Probably find there's a few work yards that be happy for you to take the old container away.

Give Blantyre Vics a shout and ask them.

They've got a couple of cracking converted containers behind the goals.

Edited by PossilYM

14 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

No sure about costs but if its in same place as when they played ww might have visionary troubles of the pitch especially down the wings. It was at least 3 or 4 yards behind the pitch . I'd expect a gap be made in the pitch boundary fence. 

It's to be repositioned when the ground is firm enough, still better than standing in the rain 

14 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Container with three sides cut away. Solid base to put it on obviously. Bit of joinery work. Bucket seats and a hand rail.

Doubt there much cost wise between that and the containers that i've seen holding 50 seats.

DIY and you're only looking at the transport costs for the container.

Probably find there's a few work yards that be happy for you to take the old container away.

Give Blantyre Vics a shout and ask them.

They've got a couple of cracking converted containers behind the goals.

20221008_151958.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dedicated grant opportunities had become more limited recently, with SFA ceasing to fund Scottish Football Partnership, and Scottish Government ending most Sportscotland schemes.

However better news as UK Government open a new fund (£2M) specifically for Scottish semi-professional and grassroots clubs:

New round of UK Government investment opens for Scottish grassroots clubs | Football Development | News (scottishfa.co.uk)

Better still it now covers floodlights and improving grass surfaces as well as laying artificial pitches.

Quick-fire scheme with applications closing December 23rd for delivery by March 31st.

Edited by HibeeJibee

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dedicated grant opportunities had become more limited recently, with SFA ceasing to fund Scottish Football Partnership, and Scottish Government ending most Sportscotland schemes.

However better news as UK Government open a new fund (£2M) specifically for Scottish semi-professional and grassroots clubs:

New round of UK Government investment opens for Scottish grassroots clubs | Football Development | News (scottishfa.co.uk)

Better still it now covers floodlights and improving grass surfaces as well as laying artificial pitches.

Quick-fire scheme with applications closing December 23rd for delivery by March 31st.

HibeeJibee - is there any chance of showing the full article here and on the other sections of P&B which may benefit grass roots clubs etc? Last time I tried to do something similar I was done for Spamming, would you believe!

I have posted the full text on the Midlands League thread and highlighted this part which seems particularly relevant:

"To coincide with the launch of the second phase of DCMS funding, the Scottish FA are also inviting expressions of interest from clubs across Scotland for future phases of funding. Any clubs who would like to explore opportunities for facility upgrade funding projects can express interest at: Scottish FA Grassroots Pitch & Facilities Fund."

In other words there's also a door opened for clubs to receive help after these new schemes , subject to matching certain criteria. It's not just the current period. If there's enough response from clubs then the SFA are clearly up for getting further funding from the UK Government for the years further ahead too.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Is that a river burst its banks, or just bad drainage problems ? Any idea how many clubs have applied for grants etc for improvements, weather definitely a big problem in Scotland - hope it's dry by mid February (selfish I know) 🌞

It's the River Teviot that flows through Hawick- part of the problem maybe that it was historically channelled to power the mills in the town. It doesn't take much rain water for the Teviot to rise up where it flows past the football ground. 

Albert Park gets flooded quite a bit- as I said previously there seems to sufficient flood defence to stop the two nearby rugby grounds getting flooded for some reason...  

Peebles Rovers play in a public park which will be designated as an area to be flooded in local planning. The rugby pitch at the adjacent Gytes seems to be protected though and I believe Peebles have played matches there before while Whitestone dries out 

If you look back in time sports clubs tended to get crappy bits of land to establish pitches on. The East Meadows where Hibs and Hearts started was a bit swampy, Powderhall Athletics track was next to the Water of Leith and was known to be flooded and there will be other examples.

I also suspect Edinburgh Uni's pitch may be in a flood prevention scheme. There is a wall on one side protecting the changing rooms and the fence on the other side has a gap underneath, presumably to allow water to flow under. 

• 1 month later...

Rosyth: Lidl ready to checkout site after pitch deal | Dunfermline Press

A NEW football pitch at Pitreavie will finally allow Lidl to achieve their goal of opening a supermarket in Rosyth.

A deal for land at Admiralty Road has been in place for years but on condition that a replacement ground be provided for Rosyth FC, who were turfed out by Fife Council in 2018 to make way for the store. The East of Scotland League side have been homeless ever since, with potential moves to other locations in the town falling through, which meant work on the Lidl site could not get underway either.

However, the stalemate has been broken with planning permission now in place for Rosyth's new pitch at Pitreavie playing fields, while the condition has been altered which gives the green light for the supermarket to be built.

Vice chairman of the club, Russell Craig, told the Press:
"Myself and Dean (Ogg, chairman) are absolutely ecstatic for the whole community. "To finally get this past the post is not just monumental for the club but for Rosyth as a whole as they'll finally get their supermarket too. "For us, this will secure the future of the club. We're here for the next 25 years and this will give us the security to really kick on."

When work gets the go-ahead, he reckoned the pitch will be built in 12 weeks.

Russell added:
"For the internal stuff, we've got companies lined up and dates set aside, it'll be like DIY SOS with everyone coming together and working flat out "I'm hoping for a star-studded opening for the start of pre-season, at the very latest, but we could be in before the end of the season."

The new artificial surface, surrounded by a boundary fence and six floodlights, will be close to the entrance to the playing fields and replace an existing grass pitch. The planning application was submitted last August by Karen Masterton, of Charlestown Holdings Ltd (SASS), and approved at the start of this month. Rosyth FC's new ground will be to the west of both the pavilion and the existing full size artificial pitch. It will also be available for community use.

Russell said:
"Rosyth is a big town and the football club is a huge part of the community. "I can't praise our volunteers enough. We've got so many people that help us out, including the supporters – not just supporting us financially but those that come and watch the team play – youngsters and families that all have a vested interest. "I'm really pleased for them too."