EOS Grounds for Optimism

On 02/03/2022 at 09:20, Salvo Montalbano said:

It does, although I strangely liked watching Meadowbank and Edinburgh Gunners (as they were known then) play there. It had a steep seating area so if you sat more than about half way back the view was really good. Having the warm up track under the stand was good fun when I was a nipper too, running up and down and pretending I was an Olympian while my old man queued up for the cups of tea and Txix bars. 

I could never understand the universal hatred off meadowbank stadium,granted the running track never helped the product but i always enjoyed visiting there likewise played a good few boys clubs 5 a side comps in the halls and always enjoyed the occasion.

There had been further work at Tweedmouth when I was there last month.

Tall wooden fencing between it and Shielfield Park. Permanent pie hut in corner. New covered terrace shed - roughly size of a shipping container - installed straddling halfway line, opposite dugouts and enclosure.

There had been further work at Tweedmouth when I was there last month.

Tall wooden fencing between it and Shielfield Park. Permanent pie hut in corner. New covered terrace shed - roughly size of a shipping container - installed straddling halfway line, opposite dugouts and enclosure.
Yeah, they're doing some great work there. I was quite impressed when I went there a few months ago. Very friendly people there too, one of their committee members told me a lot about the club and the work they're doing. [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Oakley's new floodlighting evident in photos by today's groundhoppers. Unlikely to be used in anger until next season:

FOSx0IpWYAg3vX9?format=jpg&name=large

FOStYxUXIAEcFzP?format=jpg&name=large

Wondering whether or not the lighting meets Licencing requirements? Five low supports for the lights on both sides of a pitch seems like an unusual lay-out. Anyone any idea?

Think it all depends on average lux levels?

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7460/scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2021.pdf

Clubs are required to have a floodlight system at the ground. It is recommended that the following minimum levels apply:
Average – 200 lux
Min/Max – 0.25
Clubs must be able to evidence that matches have been played under the floodlights, to the satisfaction of match officials, within the last year. Where a relevant body or league raises concerns regarding the suitability of a floodlight system, it will be a matter for the Licensing Committee to determine whether the system meets the terms of the Entry level criteria.

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is of course a difference between lights suitable to play by, and lights meeting SFA membership licensing criteria - as latter represents a higher (and periodically rising) quality threshold.

But from LTL's post above, the 200 lux average is only a recommendation, not a requirement. If Oakley can stage a couple of games where the refs say they're OK, then that meets the licensing criterion.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think St Andrews United didn't get their licence last season because the lux levels measured narrowly missed the recommendations in some way, so although what you state fits the wording, in practice it is probably closer to a requirement.

Correct - 200 average lux and 0.25 min/max is a requirement for a licence but not for the EoSFL.  We acquired 226 av. lux a long time ago but getting the 0.25 min/max was a b*gger given how our lights were installed.  I too will be interested to see how Oakley's lights rate based on that layout.  

2 hours ago, Saints1921 said:

Correct - 200 average lux and 0.25 min/max is a requirement for a licence but not for the EoSFL.  We acquired 226 av. lux a long time ago but getting the 0.25 min/max was a b*gger given how our lights were installed.  I too will be interested to see how Oakley's lights rate based on that layout.  

Your lights are now sorted and everything else in place to be licensed and in the Scottish Cup next season?

19 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Your lights are now sorted and everything else in place to be licensed and in the Scottish Cup next season?

Lights sorted - wading through child protection matters this afternoon!!!!!!!!!  Still got other wee areas of admin to resolve before the 11th of May but hopeful we'll get there.

23 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think St Andrews United didn't get their licence last season because the lux levels measured narrowly missed the recommendations in some way, so although what you state fits the wording, in practice it is probably closer to a requirement.

You mean the SFA don't follow their own rules? Shurely shome mishtake!

While interest naturally gravitates to 'big shiny stuff' like new grandstands and floodlights - worth remembering all the other ongoing improvements.

e.g. I understand about a dozen-&-a-half clubs have recently completed and had checked-off other work they had outstanding e.g. upgrading spectators toilets, dressing rooms, fencing, etc.

Doesn't grab the headlines but still makes a big difference.

On 09/03/2020 at 16:02, ShrimpLok said:

Berwick RFC are SRU members and play in the Scottish League system in East Region Division 1. 

They also have membership of the Northumberland RFU so they can compete in the Northumberland Cup / Plate competitions. 

If I remember Berwick's 2nd xv play in English league structure

Edited by kevsmart
Spelling errors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...