EOS Grounds for Optimism

I don't think there will be a need to mandate a licence for tier 6 - however it will naturally become something all clubs are aiming towards, otherwise they will be the odd ones out and at financial disadvantage without SFA/Scottish Cup money.

On 25/02/2020 at 23:22, HibeeJibee said:

Interestingly... well, OK, mildly so!... this means we've now crossed a frontier where three-fifths of EOSL clubs have floodlights (24/40) - and across the southerly pyramid two-thirds (adding 15/16 in LL and 9/15 in SOSL).

That is a remarkable effort - and massive financial investment - from part-time clubs great 'n small.

Go back 25yrs and it was basically just Gala and Hawick, IIRC.

EDIT: Actually did think I'd a list in another thread, here it is:

Anyone know for definite about the unis? Also confirm or fill in the blanks about when the 9 ex-Juniors first 'went electric':

Newtongrange (ground opened 1994?), Dunbar (ground opened 2001?), Sauchie (2003?), Broxburn (with 3G in 2009?), Dalkeith and Penicuik (council scheme like Easthouses? 2014?), Blackburn (with 3G in 2015?), Kelty (2015?), Hill of Beath (?) and Linlithgow (?)

Dunbar moved into New Countess Park in 2001 and it came with a set of lights - mostly used for friendly games. I think New Victoria Park also came with lights-I  can't remember if Old Victoria Park had lights- it did host stock car races in the 1980s so might have done.

Lithgae had a set of lights at Prestonfield years ago (maybe dating from the 80s?) which were used for the odd junior game as I can remember seeing Dunbar get stuffed there one night about 20 years ago- the set they have now is an upgrade. 

Similarly Broxburn had lights before Albyn Park was reconstructed about ten years ago. I'm sure a Premier team's reserves used to play there- Hearts or Rangers maybe. (Rangers reserves certainly played at Creamery Park, Bathgate which also had lights I saw a East junior League cup final there under lights)

Ed Uni didn't have lights until they upgraded East Peffermill for LL entry. I was at their first game under lights.

There was a set of lights at Stirling Uni's pitch at Gannochy, no idea when they were erected but they were in situ when Stirling Uni joined the EOSL.

I don't recall HW playing on any floodlit pitches until they enclosed their ground. I could try and find the programme I have for an EOSL select v Hibs 18s which was played at Riccarton as that would give a rough estimate as to when the lights were erected there- maybe around 2007?

Btw you're missing another ex Juniors from your list there- Dunipace.. 

New Club house and changing rooms coming along at Tweedmouth Rangers.

Interesting bit also that they've joined the Northumberland FA so they'd be eligible to play in the Northumberland County Cups.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:
New Club house and changing rooms coming along at Tweedmouth Rangers.

Interesting bit also that they've joined the Northumberland FA so they'd be eligible to play in the Northumberland County Cups.

Have Berwick ever done that?

I seem to remember Gretna saying they chose to resign from the FA when joining the SFA which made me believe they could have remained members of two associations. Does this mean Tweedmouth are also now FA members?

Berwick RFC are SRU members and play in the Scottish League system in East Region Division 1. 

They also have membership of the Northumberland RFU so they can compete in the Northumberland Cup / Plate competitions. 

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Have Berwick ever done that?

I seem to remember Gretna saying they chose to resign from the FA when joining the SFA which made me believe they could have remained members of two associations. Does this mean Tweedmouth are also now FA members?

If Berwick ever played in any of the Northumberland Cups it must have been a lot of years ago although I can remember them playing a Northumberland Select in a game to open the NFA's new facilities about a decade ago Gazza played for them as a guest player.

@HibeeJibee would be the man to ask.

Edited by cowdenbeath

Does this entitle them to any 'grants' from the FA? Aswell as the miniscule amount they would get from the SFA? I seem to remember a decent 4 figure sum was previously paid by the SFA to member clubs in EOS leagues.

Not sure if this is still a thing? I do that Duns are still paying to stay as members and as yet have not applied to EOS for re-entry which is a shame given the facilities they have are very very good.

Does this entitle them to any 'grants' from the FA? Aswell as the miniscule amount they would get from the SFA? I seem to remember a decent 4 figure sum was previously paid by the SFA to member clubs in EOS leagues.
Not sure if this is still a thing? I do that Duns are still paying to stay as members and as yet have not applied to EOS for re-entry which is a shame given the facilities they have are very very good.
Money was reduced from 10k to 2.5k iirc

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, junglehenry said:

Money was reduced from 10k to 2.5k iirc

When did this happen? Unreal amount to be parting with in the first place albeit now clubs have to rely heavily on sponsorship and advertising hoardings etc and arguably the lowest level of football. Clubs like Coldstream now 'relying' on Scottish Cup money again a miniscule amount very hard for clubs to bring players in and have that appeal.

2 hours ago, junglehenry said:

When did this happen? Unreal amount to be parting with in the first place albeit now clubs have to rely heavily on sponsorship and advertising hoardings etc and arguably the lowest level of football. Clubs like Coldstream now 'relying' on Scottish Cup money again a miniscule amount very hard for clubs to bring players in and have that appeal.

Hi

Members of the SFA receive annual dividens -something in the 8k to 10k ish plus money for playing in the SFA Cup. There is also money via the East of Scotland League. I think that this is the sum which has been reduced not the dividend sum.

15 hours ago, junglehenry said:

Tweedmouth aren't SFA full members, they need a Licence to become members therefore they do not receive the SFA annual payment.

If they are claiming membership of the FA, that would need to be given up if they ever want to become SFA members.

11 hours ago, Dev said:

Hi

Members of the SFA receive annual dividens -something in the 8k to 10k ish plus money for playing in the SFA Cup. There is also money via the East of Scotland League. I think that this is the sum which has been reduced not the dividend sum.

The grants available to EoS clubs from the Scottish Football Partnership was reduced from £10k to £2.5k.

The EoS used to give ground improvement grants of upto £3k, but this has been reduced to £1k due to the substantial increase in membership.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Tweedmouth aren't SFA full members, they need a Licence to become members therefore they do not receive the SFA annual payment.

If they are claiming membership of the FA, that would need to be given up if they ever want to become SFA members.

They appear to be claiming membership of an English County FA. All clubs in England must be registered with their local county fa. It is a very different thing to be a member of the Football Association.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

The grants available to EoS clubs from the Scottish Football Partnership was reduced from £10k to £2.5k.

The EoS used to give ground improvement grants of upto £3k, but this has been reduced to £1k due to the substantial increase in membership.

The SFP maximum grant for non SFA members in the EOS is £1k. St Andrews have received a grant for this sum. 

I believe the EOS sum is now £750.