Top 50 Most Hated Players To Have Played In Scottish Football

24 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

So he's hated by Hibs players purely for not being good enough, but having a bit of confidence? Makes sense that.

The David Fernandez thing seems to be a much more legit reason.

Thats where I think Nearly all the votes would come from. I don’t know why they throw a hissyfit usually at the mention of his (Caldwells) name. Fernandez was  at the tail end of his career after picking up two pay off packages as he wasnt the most professional, he looked like he put on about two stone at Celtic. It was a horribly mis timed challenge by Caldwell but I cant have too much sympathy for him.

Apparently hes a scout for Man City now according to wiki?

2 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

So he's hated by Hibs fans purely for not being good enough, but having a bit of confidence? Makes sense that.

The David Fernandez thing seems to be a much more legit reason.

This is a pretty terrible interpretation. If someone played 100+ times for Morton and thought he was much better than he was you'd probably not like him much either.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is a pretty terrible interpretation. If someone played 100+ times for Morton and thought he was much better than he was you'd probably not like him much either.

We've had players who weren't as good as they thought they were. I don't really care much about them. At the end of the day, it's not their fault that they continue to get picked.

Just now, Randy Giles said:

We've had players who weren't as good as they thought they were. I don't really care much about them. At the end of the day, it's not their fault that they continue to get picked.

That doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not a player is hated.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

That doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not a player is hated.

But it's why they play so much. A player being shite isn't much of a reason to be hated. It's the manager that should be getting that for playing the shite. And I have no problem with a player being confident. Players that aren't confident, especially if they're limited, aren't much use.

Hilarious thread. Lot of Davie Bowman hate - worked with him a few months back and he was an absolute gent - but even in a friendly game of 5s he's a ball grabbing, foot scraping dirty bassa.

I know it's too late but here you go anyway:

1. Gazza. I know he's had his troubles since football ended but he did knock that crap out his missus. Extremely talented and graced the game up here to a degree but flopped in Europe.  Felt sorry for the death threats he got after his thoughtless playing of the Sash - but it's that unthinking idiocy that was his hallmark. If you're signing for Rangers for a record fee you'd do the bare minimum of research of what not to do, right? Apparently not.

2. Chic Charnley. Worst tackler in the history of the game, even more baffling given his hard man credentials. Supremely talented on the ball, should have been a star and it always did my nut that he did did so little with all that ability, one good Hibs season aside. Apparently he's sound away from the game.

3. Joey Barton. Mouthed off, completely dismissing the standard up here,  giving it the big one. Barely lasted a handful of games. Much as a few of the honourable mentions by other posters are a great shouts as fake hard men, I don't think anyone has ever promised more then  subsequently delivered less: the dictionary definition of all fart and no shite. Huge props for costing Rangers hundreds of thousands for literally nadda but it was not part of his master plan. At all.

4. Derek Riordan. Poster child for a talented youngster signing for the Old Firm then sitting on the bench and going to seed a decade before their time. Given his undoubted ability his lack of ambition is utterly criminal. 

5. Scott Allan. See above. 

6. Craig Bellamy. Arrogant to the point of complete fuddery. You're from Wales mate. Have you been there recently? It's as depressing as Scotland but without the occasional decent movie (Twin Town aside obviously).

7. Kevin Muscat. Absolute thug. Not very good either... which is almost as bad. 

8. David Goodwillie. Convicted rapist. Also flattered to deceive... which is almost as bad. 

9. Craig Burley. Actually really quite liked him as a player for Scotland but constantly does the game down up here... WHILST COMMENTATING ON IT! F@#k off fannybaws.

10. Mark Kerr. Never... NEVER has someone been so good on Champ Man but then become such a journey man. And not a journeyman at decent teams either. I've been angry at him since 2002/3.

=41. Alan Main. - 19 points,

_47828139_alan_main_466b_sns.jpg

It's about time I got back to this list after a fairly hectic Christmas period and what better way to start off with one of the most detestable figures in football, well, if you're a Dundee or St Mirren fan that is. Regularly accused of being a cheat by St Mirren fans for allegedly throwing a game, but it is more his sheer hatred for all things Dundee that I know and love Main for.

Best moment?

Undoubtedly has to be his aeroplane celebration to the half way line, followed by a knee slide right in front of the Dundee fans, after St Johnstone equalised in the dying embers of a game against Dundee, only for Dundee to go up the pitch and score again. This led to Alan Main knocking out the windows/putting a hole in a door at Dens.(The memory is hazy and I can't find  a link).

Here's some other classic Main moments:

Link.

Edited by Ludo*1

Main :wub: 

Legend goes that a teenage Manuel Neuer watched his constant forty yard sprints to make a clearance and it inspired him to adopt the now fashionable "sweeper keeper" style.

I didn’t mind Alan Main. We gave him pelters during a crucial promotion clash at McDiarmid about 10 years ago. He gave it back as best as he could and made a point of walking over to applaud us at full time.

Cracking keeper in his day, too. 

7 minutes ago, Southside Hibee said:

Did Alan Main not end up having a fight in the Gretna changing room with one of his teammates, after they had got beaten 3-0 from Queen of the South?

Also worth mentioning that both Main & his teammate were naked whilst fighting :lol:

A6129AD6-98BA-4329-B040-E557A38FFA47.jpeg.6fa3f022d2501cc4486679cd007e7954.jpeg

Mind in our brief 90s glory days (getting beasted in the Premier) being 2-0 down at Tannadice, midweek. 10 to go, home fans singing Alan Main Alan Main, Alan Alan Swing on the Bar, Alan Alan Give Us a Dance - to which he was cockily obliging.
Cue two late goals (Sinclair and Crawford?) and You're No Dancin Anymore
Actually I think we were just singing his own name to him which has to be a sair ain.

On 1/2/2018 at 16:15, Ludo*1 said:

Regularly accused of being a cheat by St Mirren fans for allegedly throwing a game

Ah. memories of when there was decent trolling on here. The Buddies choosing to overlook Hartley getting sent off when Saints were 2-0 up and  deciding to blame Main for their relegation.  Bless.

The usual suspects such as the Browns Both Bomber and Scott. Graeme Souness,  Neil Lennon, Marvin "The Finger " Bartley and Doug Imrie  all annoy me (or annoyed me)

My distaste also extends to Ritchie Foran, Chic Charnley, Jim Goodwin and Jason Talbot.

Loads more but, energy deficit kicking in.

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:12, gannonball said:

Fernandez was  at the tail end of his career after picking up two pay off packages as he wasnt the most professional, he looked like he put on about two stone at Celtic. It was a horribly mis timed challenge by Caldwell but I cant have too much sympathy for him.

Classy.