Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Oops.  I didn't mean to be disrespectful.  I think she is doing a splendid job.

Oh and while I am at it, I think Kim Jong Un is doing a splendid job as well.

Hope you happy now.

That's better.

4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Poor turn of phrase perhaps, unsure how else to term it. The line dating from AEthelstan 920’s AD? Line of ascension to the throne maybe?

Notwithstanding everything Antlion said why would you pick Aethelstan as year zero?

Kenneth MacAlpin was King of Scots almost 100 years before England was a kingdom.

I'm annoyed at you now as I occasionally have to put aside my rabid republicanism to protest that "she's our queen too !!" 

Pedantry is more important than principle. 

6 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
8 hours ago, Antlion said:
Pretty bizarre point. Why were people up in arms about MPs fleecing the taxpayers over dodgy expenses claims when the sums involved are a drop in the ocean compared to the wastage of money on worthless PPE, and when tourists flood the Palace of Westminster and Big Ben? Why were people up in arms about the various cash for questions scandals when the sums the MPs earned were minuscule compared to the billions lost when the government wrote off fraud?
Pointing out how one waste of money differs from another waste of money doesn’t make either look better. It just makes the UK look even worse. 

It's almost as if he doesn't like people of a different skin colour receiving financial assistance. A truly remarkable development.

Fecks sake, you are on a roll here. I asked a question and straight away you called me names. I tried to quantify my question and you alluded that I may have been a racist. Just waiting for the full house for you to accuse me of being a fan of one of the arsecheeks.

14 hours ago, Antlion said:

Out of interest, I came across a (quite long) quote recently from someone - I think an early twentieth century Scottish thinker/politician/possible trade unionist. It went on at length about how, throughout the centuries, monarchs have managed to contribute nothing to society - the system has produced no great artists or scientists or engineers or physicians, and monarchs have been responsible for spearheading no great political reforms or advances in the field of governance. Monarchs - particularly our constitutional brand - had been, it pointed out, utterly useless takers who managed to give nothing worthwhile to society whilst demonstrating no particular talents or abilities in any field.

It’s a long shot, given I can’t remember the writer’s name, but has anyone come across a quote/text to do with this?

Keir Hardie?

keir-hardie-quote-lbl7l3o.jpg

Edited by scotfree

Notwithstanding everything Antlion said why would you pick Aethelstan as year zero?
Kenneth MacAlpin was King of Scots almost 100 years before England was a kingdom.
I'm annoyed at you now as I occasionally have to put aside my rabid republicanism to protest that "she's our queen too !!" 

Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with Sire, but I think you get the general drift. The whole picture is interesting whether visiting Scone, Westminster, Melrose or Windsor and learning more about the monarchical line of passage and events right across these lands.

4 hours ago, scotfree said:

Keir Hardie?

keir-hardie-quote-lbl7l3o.jpg

Good quote, but it’s not the one. The one I read was definitely about the monarchy producing no artists, scientists, etc. Annoyingly, I can’t remember where I saw it!

Hopefully she pops off in the next week or two, I got half my garden done yesterday but another couple of days off would be handy soon. 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Aethelstan has been called the first king of Britain. He had the kings of Alba, Strathclyde and Northumberland (covering modern mainland Scotland) wales and parts of Ireland give him fealty.

Although if i remember rightly the scots king basically just said he would accept overlordship, then completely ignored it in practice. 

For a "british" monarchy, not a bad place to start the clock, i suppose. 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Any relation?

4192.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Edinburgh Council released the names of the streets closed over the weekend for Jubilee street parties.

Colour me surprised that it's mainly the most affluent streets in Edinburgh and not Niddrie, Pilton, Gilmerton etc.

I don't know if this has been noted, but (unless I'm very much mistaken) had that Buckingham Palace balcony crashed to the ground the other day with 100% fatal consequences, the crown would have passed to thon Harry & Megan inc.

The good news is that had they also been in attendance on the fallen balcony the crown would have passed to Covid-victim Andrew.

Phew. 

18 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Poor turn of phrase perhaps, unsure how else to term it. The line dating from Aethlestan 920’s AD? Line of ascension to the throne maybe?

I think this proper Sacha Baron Cohen lineage only really started in the 1930’s surely? Abdication with no direct heir means starting again?

17 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Personally, I’m glad I picked Springfield.

image.jpeg.949c2f291c2f102aaab5241832479dbc.jpeg

‘Look over there someones attractive cousin’ has got me out of a few scrapes in Ayrshire too. 

5 hours ago, Antlion said:

Good quote, but it’s not the one. The one I read was definitely about the monarchy producing no artists, scientists, etc. Annoyingly, I can’t remember where I saw it!

Maybe the British monarchy. Two Japanese emperors - Hirohito and Akihito - were published, peer-reviewed, marine biologists. Akihito even had at least one paper published in Nature, which is about as prestigious a science journal as you get. Maybe there wasn't this (rare) example back when the quote was coined, though,

56 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think this proper Sacha Baron Cohen lineage only really started in the 1930’s surely? Abdication with no direct heir means starting again?

No, George V1 was Edward V111's brother, so still a blood descendant of George V (who was only king because his older brother died) but still a blood descendant of Edward V11.