Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

I reckon interest in the royal family might get a boost in the arm when Lizzie pops her clogs.  For the vast majority of posters on here, all they've known the monarch to be is the same boring old lady who supposedly gives a speech at Christmas, likes staycations, horses and corgi toys (or something like that), and an actual coronation for King Charlie might make things remotely interesting for an afternoon.  He might not be any more exciting, but at least it's a change (the Stephen Glass moment of the recent monarchy).

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I reckon interest in the royal family might get a boost in the arm when Lizzie pops her clogs.  For the vast majority of posters on here, all they've known the monarch to be is the same boring old lady who supposedly gives a speech at Christmas, likes staycations, horses and corgi toys (or something like that), and an actual coronation for King Charlie might make things remotely interesting for an afternoon.  He might not be any more exciting, but at least it's a change (the Stephen Glass moment of the recent monarchy).

Lizzie had a ceremony in Edinburgh after the Westminster coronation where the honours of Scotland were presented to her (our Crown is older than the English one because it was hidden from Cromwell).

My old man told me there was criticism at the time as she turned up dressed quite ordinarily "like a wifie with a handbag" which was seen as a bit of an insult to Scotland. Phil the Greek is in dress uniform though if you look at photos.

So you think they all deserve to be beheaded? Seems a bit drastic to me.

I was very adamant on the other thread about this topic, in relation to the French method of dealing with the royals. I’d execute the fucking lot of them.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

So you think they all deserve to be beheaded? Seems a bit drastic to me.

We're supposed to learn from history, so maybe just behead those that are involved in pedo activity.

Anyone left can join the queue to sell the Big Issue or work for Wetherspoons pubs?

11 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I was very adamant on the other thread about this topic, in relation to the French method of dealing with the royals. I’d execute the fucking lot of them.

It all seems a bit extreme to me - you could just campaign for a referendum rather than brutally murdering them all.

7 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
11 minutes ago, throbber said:
It all seems a bit extreme to me - you could just campaign for a referendum rather than brutally murdering them all.

How about we campaign for a referendum and if that fails we murder them all?

I just don’t see the need to murder any of them, particularly not the queen. 

45 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Shades of the opening scene from Pulp Fiction going on there. Maybe with a broken Nicholas Witchell holding the gun.

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm anti royal but quite like her, I know it's mental. The rest of them are utter charlatans, my maw is a big royalist but hates Charles for his antics with Diana. Obviously him getting married to a 17 year old will be brought up when he becomes king which won't be a good look.

To be honest I have no issue with them, as a monarch the Queen seems to be the best there has ever been (in my limited knowledge of the history of the monarchy).

Any issue I do have is more to do with the hangers on out-with the immediate family and the gammons who idolise them in a creepy way.

If I met the queen or any high ranking royals I'd look forward to it and would show them respect accordingly. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

To be honest I have no issue with them, as a monarch the Queen seems to be the best there has ever been (in my limited knowledge of the history of the monarchy).

Any issue I do have is more to do with the hangers on out-with the immediate family and the gammons who idolise them in a creepy way.

If I met the queen or any high ranking royals I'd look forward to it and would show them respect accordingly. 

In terms of actively seeking ways to fill her bank account, aye. 

12 hours ago, paranoid android said:

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" [Denis Diderot]

"Scotland will never be free until the last minister is strangled with the last copy of The Sunday Post" - Tom Nairn.