Local Council c***s

NorthernLights

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That's just a universal thing that wealthy incomers to any place do. They feel a sense of unease at being richer than most folk in their new area and therefore find it difficult to connect with the community they have moved into, so try to exorcise these feelings of guilt and loneliness by getting involved in councils, churches, community groups and so on.

As an example, I grew up in Portobello and the only folk who called it porty stayed at the rougher figgate burn/Joppa ends. Now all these rich people have bought all the big houses in the central part and started a mass of community action groups that are all called 'Clean Streets Porty', 'Row Porty' and so on. It's an overture to fitting in to the receiving community but just ends up being an exclusive club where similar folk meet because locals get turned off by the slightly 'off' terminology.

Edinburgh as a whole is becoming part of the shires, my daughter lives in Cramond and you're hard pushed to detect a Scottish accent. 

A (genuine) Kilbowie Outdoor Centre, Oban timeline:
7.30pm thursday - feedback from group includes "wish their was more Kilbowies" and "wish we could bring our families here and share it with them".
9.15pm Thursday - a girl in my group says to me "thanks for signing my hat it will remind me of who helped me have an amazing week"
9.30am Friday - walking up the stairs a wee man says to me "I'd love to work at Kilbowie it's so much fun"
10.15 am - during the closing talk a wee lad exclaims that hes had "the experience of a lifetime"
1pm - Labour and Tory councillors vote to withdraw funding from Kilbowie Outdoor Centre and close as soon as contractually possible.
Gutted. Just gutted for the youngsters of North Lanarkshire.

• 1 month later...

Smith also stated that many operating in Scotland who feel disadvantaged may well turn their attentions south of the Border, to areas “where it will be easier and less expensive to do business”.

Aye, don't let the door hit you on the way out..

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

"warns"!!

Never used Airbnb, and think it should be regulated, but any changes will make hotel prices in Edinburgh even more ridiculous.

I can get a Premier Inn in central London at a slightly lower price than in Edinburgh and a decent equivalent hotel in Barcelona far cheaper than either.

I just stayed in the new Innkeepers Collection just outside Dalkeith for £40 a room, posher than Premier Inn. Checked, and it's still under a hundred for a Saturday night in the middle of the Fringe.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't really care. Edinburgh is being managed for the benefit of landlords and tourists instead of residents. Something has to be done and soon before the city centre is totally depopulated.

You can get ibis, holiday Inn etc for 70 quid just now which is no different to London. If you want cheaper stay in a nearby town and get the train.

I’d imagine tourism injects a lot of money into the local economy.

Convicted sex offender Alan Donnelly is finally suspended from Aberdeen City council for 3 months.  However it comes a day after he was allowed to vote on the council budget which passed by a single vote which saw a 4.8% increase in council tax, The SNP had proposed a 3% increase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-51735462

• 1 month later...
I’d imagine tourism injects a lot of money into the local economy.
Indeed it probably does, but Scotland can and must do better than become a tourist theme park. Controlled tourism is fine but left to its own devices it is a disaster - speak to the dwindling number of residents of Venice and Dubrovnik Old Town if you need evidence.

I'd also be fascinated to know just what percentage of this tourist money manages to percolate directly into the local economy.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Indeed it probably does, but Scotland can and must do better than become a tourist theme park. Controlled tourism is fine but left to its own devices it is a disaster - speak to the dwindling number of residents of Venice and Dubrovnik Old Town if you need evidence.

I'd also be fascinated to know just what percentage of this tourist money manages to percolate directly into the local economy.

Great post. 

You now have a bizarre situation where lots of historic places are becoming theme parks for people to visit on their annual leave. And conversely the places where the majority of people live for 49 weeks of the year have ever decreasing amenities and activities such as sports clubs or social groups. 

Not really a Council decision but the Scottish Government has just indicated they are minded to grant permission for the Garden District on green belt land west of Edinburgh. This is a fucking enormous development that will surround perhaps the most congested junction along the bypass which is already rammed with people for a large chunk of the day. Very surprised to see this given the go ahead.

2145932369_GardenDistrict.thumb.PNG.90806653833f852aed4d36c7dd5a59e5.PNG

30 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not really a Council decision but the Scottish Government has just indicated they are minded to grant permission for the Garden District on green belt land west of Edinburgh. This is a fucking enormous development that will surround perhaps the most congested junction along the bypass which is already rammed with people for a large chunk of the day. Very surprised to see this given the go ahead.

Any idea what the Planning Service's recommendation was originally? It would be interesting to skim through the appeal report. 

In some ways it's surprising to see that area hasn't already been allocated for housing/mixed use development in the LDP. Its not really an area which has a pleasant character being wedged between the major roads but it is well served by the canal for amenity and walking/cylcing and so close to the university. 

11 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Any idea what the Planning Service's recommendation was originally? It would be interesting to skim through the appeal report. 

In some ways it's surprising to see that area hasn't already been allocated for housing/mixed use development in the LDP. Its not really an area which has a pleasant character being wedged between the major roads but it is well served by the canal for amenity and walking/cylcing and so close to the university.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/correspondence/2016/06/planning-decision-nod-edb-002/documents/report-to-scottish-ministers/report-to-scottish-ministers/govscot%3Adocument/Report%2Bto%2BScottish%2BMinisters.pdf

That should be the report from the reporter. 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I see so Councillors approved against planning recommendation and it was called in for review. 

In a nutshell the required housing numbers for the current Local Development Plan are based upon an out of date Strategic Plan which hasn't been replaced while the National Framework hasn't yet come in as a guide. Government will just crack on and deliver the shortfall for houses on sites considered otherwise sustainable even on greenbelt land. 

That looks like a crazy decision on the face of it. Combined with the huge development alongside Maybury Road there’s going to be a lot of new pressure on the bottlenecks at Hermiston Gait, Barnton and Maybury junctions.

A deliberate tactic to add time onto commutes from outside the city? Edinburgh have never really quite understood that making everything shit doesn’t lead to more public transport use.

20 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Found this neat website and agree pretty much 100% with its proposals.

http://newmunicipalism.ballotbox.scot/

It's got an interactive map and that means it has very little left to do to convince this guy!

The principles are absolutely right, especially in comparison to Europe. I lived with my folks for a few months in rural Spain, and was pretty taken aback by how localised their government is. Down to village level (more like a large village, two hamlets and 30km² of land to be fair)there was a local government who applied for money from the regional/state/national government and spent it. Not perfect but public services a lot better than the equivalent areas here have in my experience.

• 3 months later...
Despite constantly moaning about a lack of funds and cutting services left, right and centre ACC have found £10k to spend on a pointless painting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/former-aberdeen-lord-provosts-portrait-revealed/amp/
Aberdonians......a great bunch o c***s

Despite constantly moaning about a lack of funds and cutting services left, right and centre ACC have found £10k to spend on a pointless painting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/former-aberdeen-lord-provosts-portrait-revealed/amp/
Virtually all LAs in Scotland own art works collectively worth millions. Down here SAC recently put a fraction of theirs on public exhibition. There was all sorts paintings, sculptures, jewellery the lot.

• 1 month later...