Social Justice Warrior

welshbairn

Terms like SJW, snowflake, safe-space etc have become devalued by overuse and they are often used by some of the most awful people in existence as abuse and slurs.  It's even slipped into mainstream  entertainment - I believe there is a 'snowflake' joke in Daddy's Home 2.  :rolleyes: 

That doesn't mean that there isn't something to the phenomenon, people taking offence and seeing people saying strident things they disagree with as violence.  In political terms I think people are more inclined to consider their views as being part of themselves, to define themselves politically.  There was a survey done recently that showed a high percentage of SNP supporters took criticism of their party personally; you can also look at the polls that say a significant percentage of Brexit voters would be happy for their family members to suffer financially from leaving the EU and the whining or gloating that many Leavers engage in when challenged.  I think if you invest so much in your own views that they become part of you then you are likely to react badly to people disagreeing or even mocking your views.  Demos carried out a survey of political social media recently and found that it's hugely polarised - most people who are interested in politics only interact with others who agree with them.  That isn't new - Martin Amis wrote in the 1980s "It often seemed to him, moving in the circles he moved in and reading what he read, that everyone in the land was Labour, except the Government." - but social media is often now the main method of interaction for those who are highly politically engaged.  Ian Hislop has said that Private Eye receives more complaints letters from UKIPers, SNP supporters and Corbyinstas than he's seen previously for political parties, supporters of these don't like seeing their party having the piss taken out of them, which makes you wonder what they expected Private Eye to write about them.

I don't really know what to do about any of this tbh.  I'll stick to mouthing off on the internet.  I like Kenan Malik's speech on these issues - https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/free-speech-in-an-age-of-identity-politics/

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

It's almost as if people don't just run around yelling about absolutely everything they approve and disapprove of at all times, but rather discuss things when they're brought up as a topic. A crazy notion.

Nah, I'm sticking with the 'flavour of the month' stuff.

8 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

These right wingers seem pretty confused. The left are either weak willed softies or terrifying bullies depending on what conversation they're having.

It's like the alt-right want to be the tough guys but they also want to be the victims at the same time. They're kinda like old firm fans in that respect.

The irony is that its the same the other way round, lots of anger on one hand and tears and snot when it suits. It seems to me that bellends are bellends, nothing to do with left or right. Some on both sides can have a lack of tolerance.

It's like the alt-right want to be the tough guys but they also want to be the victims at the same time. They're kinda like old firm fans in that respect.

Bingo. The purported intellectual leader of the alt-right, Richard Spencer, claims to want a whites only ethnic state, the definition of a safe space for him. They are utter losers.

There is a particular type of tribal leftie that SJW is fitting for.

I have known a couple that latch on to every cause without even thinking. GM crops confuse them, because it's cheap food for poor people and helps with biofuel, but The Corporations own the patents.

In practice though, it's overused and mainly by contrarian clarksonite dicks.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

There is a particular type of tribal leftie that SJW is fitting for.

I have known a couple that latch on to every cause without even thinking. GM crops confuse them, because it's cheap food for poor people and helps with biofuel, but The Corporations own the patents.

In practice though, it's overused and mainly by contrarian clarksonite dicks.

I only heard the term for the first time a few months back and it struck a chord, I was immediately put in mind of all the earnest types on here who fit the category. I'm no Clarksonite either. 

It's a term used exclusively by bitter old right-wing whingers who can't face it that their world of bigotry and intolerance is being eaten away by folk actually standing up for people who traditionally have been afforded little in the way of legal rights and protection. See also: snowflake

The thing that I can't understand about bitter old whinging right-wingers is why they're so bitter. They've won pretty much everything over the last ten years. They got the Tories, they got UKIP, they got the No vote, they got Brexit, they got Trump, they got the Tories (again). For a group of folk who seem to win every time they sure are raging at everything.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It's a term used exclusively by bitter old right-wing whingers who can't face it that their world of bigotry and intolerance is being eaten away by folk actually standing up for people who traditionally have been afforded little in the way of legal rights and protection. See also: snowflake

and me now. :)

The thing that I can't understand about bitter old whinging right-wingers is why they're so bitter. They've won pretty much everything over the last ten years. They got the Tories, they got UKIP, they got the No vote, they got Brexit, they got Trump, they got the Tories (again). For a group of folk who seem to win every time they sure are raging at everything.

ageist bigot

8 hours ago, Gaz said:

They enjoy whining. If there's nothing to moan about they just create a straw man.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 06:24, Gaz said:

Because despite all those electoral victories everything real conservatives want to "conserve" in their society for future generations is continuing to swirl down the drain at record speed. 

44 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Because despite all those electoral victories everything real conservatives want to "conserve" in their society for future generations is continuing to swirl down the drain at record speed. 

You don't half talk shite.

Nothing wrong with wanting a just society- I’d imagine it’s what most people want.

However, social justice warriors view of what a “just society” is is very particular.

Many of them also appear to ascribe to these social justice ideals as some kind of badge which they can use to publicly demonstrate their superior values and virtue to onlookers, rather than any commitment to having a fair society.

Archived