Jon Venables

Can anyone explain to me why children who are child killers get demonized yet the likes of Marie-Thérèse Kouao and Carl Manning (the killers of Victoria Climbie) don't get the same treatment?

What Thompson and Venables did was awful, and it should not be forgotten, but why is it so much worse than what happened to Victoria Climbie, or Lauren Wright?

When adults kill babies and children, hands are thrown up in horror - but only for the length of the trial and until the end of the salacious details.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Can anyone explain to me why children who are child killers get demonized yet the likes of Marie-Thérèse Kouao and Carl Manning (the killers of Victoria Climbie) don't get the same treatment?

Myra Hindley and Ian Brady weren't too highly thought of.

7 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They are both still in prison.

A better question is this one why did wealthy Samantha Ford who murdered her two young children get 10 years (eligible to be out in five)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49370253

While Louise Porton who was not wealthy got life with a minimum of 32 years for murdering her two children.

You can just about get away with anything in this country if you are rich.

What Thompson and Venables did was awful, and it should not be forgotten, but why is it so much worse than what happened to Victoria Climbie, or Lauren Wright?

When adults kill babies and children, hands are thrown up in horror - but only for the length of the trial and until the end of the salacious details.

I think it was the fact that they were so young when they did it. Kids killing kids, especially the way they did it, was extremely shocking back then.

I think if they had gotten out and disappeared like Thomson seems to have done then there would have been less of an uproar but since the parole board has obviously screwed up in regards to releasing Venables people are rightly questioning why he was let out.

On 07/09/2019 at 09:09, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Because they don't get released after seven years, I think that would be the key difference here.

On 08/09/2019 at 00:20, Detournement said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11237402/Tania-Clarence-detained-in-hospital-over-disabled-childrens-deaths.html

Also this one where the wife of an investment banker kills her three kids and doesn't even go to jail.

Even the most cursory of glances would have told you she had a mental illness.  Plenty of people who are not married to investment bankers have used the same defence with equal success.

I know that doesn't suit your agenda but hey ho...

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Even the most cursory of glances would have told you she had a mental illness.  Plenty of people who are not married to investment bankers have used the same defence with equal success.

I know that doesn't suit your agenda but hey ho...

No one kills their children unless they are mentally ill. The woman who got 32 years is clearly as mad as a box of frogs but she's in the jail.

Prisons are rammed with mentally ill working class people. I'd be interested if you can find an example of someone in poverty getting off with a serious crime to MI. 

18 hours ago, Detournement said:

No one kills their children unless they are mentally ill. The woman who got 32 years is clearly as mad as a box of frogs but she's in the jail.

Prisons are rammed with mentally ill working class people. I'd be interested if you can find an example of someone in poverty getting off with a serious crime to MI. 

I guess the definition of mentally ill you are using isn't the same one as the law uses.  Prisons are rammed with working class people, some of whom are mentally ill, but I'd say that is more down to the fact poorer people commit more crimes than richer people rather than the legal system being stacked in favour of the rich.  Before we get into an argument about why I say more poorer people commit crimes than richer it's purely because there are more poorer people!  

I cannot give an example of someone in poverty getting off with a crime but then again I also cannot give an example of someone rich getting off with a crime.