Jon Venables

The sexual element, if there was one, sounds like learnt behaviour for 10 year olds. Apparently Thompson was regularly beaten and sexually abused by his father. It obviously doesn't excuse any of it but might go part of the way in explaining it. 

That’s correct. To think they can just divinate that sort of behaviour out of SHEER EVIL is nonsensical, and shows a lack of understanding in basic developmental psychology.

14 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I wonder what you would do about the rather large crossover of people who are both victims and “criminals”.... 

Are they banished from society too. 

Half banished - they're allowed back during the day.

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’ve always been confused by the insanity element of murder trials. Can a 10 year old who tortures and murders another young boy really be considered ‘sane’?

This is US law but I think Britain's is similar.

"The federal insanity defense now requires the defendant to prove, by "clear and convincing evidence," that "at the time of the commission of the acts constituting the offense, the defendant, as a result of a severe mental disease or defect, was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of his acts"

So basically, did they know what they were doing at the time? It very much sounds like Thompson and Venables certainly did, therefore, no insanity defence.

That said, the behavior of Venables over the last 28 years would indicate that by any measure, he's completely batshit. And given that it would appear to be just a matter of time before he does something else terrible, I'm not clear why he isn't serving his time in Broadmoor or one of the other facilities for the criminally insane. Maybe @WhiteRoseKilie would know how that bit works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...