Highland Handsomes -vs- Paisley Pansies

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic 3 points there. Insert tough place to go and other clichés about Inverness.

Looked like a cracking support we took up there too. Fair play to any Saints fans who made the journey up there and back on a miserable November day, you deserved that win as much as anybody.

Also kudos to Gavin Reilly. He’s proved me and many others wrong, looks like he’s going to go well over 20 goals this season.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Hard game, and a hard fought victory. Thought we just about deserved it.

Caley are a right niggly, moany team. Was Robertson like that as a player?

Given some of the antics from your lot today it's hardly surprised we completely lost our heads by the end. McKendrick was so far out of his depth today it was unbelievable. How on earth Smith and Samson stayed on the pitch after their "altercations" with Vigurs only McKendrick can say.

Whilst we controlled large parts of the game, as has so often been the case, we were too wasteful to take any kind of lead which we might have deserved on the balance of play especially in a first half where Saints didn't manage a shot on target. Having the two wee guys up front works on some occasions but the two Mirren centre backs towered over them so any kind of ball over the top was easily gobbled up. Baird missed a guilt edged chance (shock) after being played through by Polworth before Vigurs forced Samson into a decent near post stop. 

Can't say too much about the penalty claim given it happened at the other end of the pitch but, blue and red glasses on, it did look quite soft with the Saints player appearing to fall over almost as soon as he got in the back. Regardless, it was disappointing to see Saints get into that position when we should have dealt with the danger well before they got into the box. Warren yet again being badly burned for pace in the build up. Good finish from Reilly for the killer second. At the end of the day if you don't take your chances...

Most of our chances in the second half were long range efforts that didn't really threaten Samson too much. Mulraney wasn't really in the game when he went off but bringing Calder on was a massive downgrade and he barely threatened at all down the left side. Would have liked to have seen Doran come on with hindsight but perhaps it wasn't worth risking him on the pitch given how sodden it was getting towards the end.

The most bizarre moment of the match came in the second half when Vigurs burst into the box and "came together" with McShane I think who collapsed in a heap. Vigurs then stood over McShane letting him know what he thought of his antics. This prompted Samson to sprint from his goals and launch himself into Vigurs sending him to the floor and kicking off an almighty rammy between the players. Somehow Samson was only yellow carded for his antics whilst Vigurs got a second yellow and headed for the showers. Cue heads gone from the ICT supporters myself included :lol:

Cracking away support up the road from Paisley, looked like a good few hundred at least.

Given some of the antics from your lot today it's hardly surprised we completely lost our heads by the end. McKendrick was so far out of his depth today it was unbelievable. How on earth Smith and Samson stayed on the pitch after their "altercations" with Vigurs only McKendrick can say.

Whilst we controlled large parts of the game, as has so often been the case, we were too wasteful to take any kind of lead which we might have deserved on the balance of play especially in a first half where Saints didn't manage a shot on target. Having the two wee guys up front works on some occasions but the two Mirren centre backs towered over them so any kind of ball over the top was easily gobbled up. Baird missed a guilt edged chance (shock) after being played through by Polworth before Vigurs forced Samson into a decent near post stop. 

Can't say too much about the penalty claim given it happened at the other end of the pitch but, blue and red glasses on, it did look quite soft with the Saints player appearing to fall over almost as soon as he got in the back. Regardless, it was disappointing to see Saints get into that position when we should have dealt with the danger well before they got into the box. Warren yet again being badly burned for pace in the build up. Good finish from Reilly for the killer second. At the end of the day if you don't take your chances...

Most of our chances in the second half were long range efforts that didn't really threaten Samson too much. Mulraney wasn't really in the game when he went off but bringing Calder on was a massive downgrade and he barely threatened at all down the left side. Would have liked to have seen Doran come on with hindsight but perhaps it wasn't worth risking him on the pitch given how sodden it was getting towards the end.

The most bizarre moment of the match came in the second half when Vigurs burst into the box and "came together" with McShane I think who collapsed in a heap. Vigurs then stood over McShane letting him know what he thought of his antics. This prompted Samson to sprint from his goals and launch himself into Vigurs sending him to the floor and kicking off an almighty rammy between the players. Somehow Samson was only yellow carded for his antics whilst Vigurs got a second yellow and headed for the showers. Cue heads gone from the ICT supporters myself included [emoji38]

Cracking away support up the road from Paisley, looked like a good few hundred at least.

I'm not sure what 'antics' you're talking about. Vigurs got two yellows, neither for fouls, both for trying to act a hard man. John Baird could have seen yellow on more than one occasion and your big number 5 tried to square up to just about every Saints player after our second.

The penalty was a stonewaller, the only complaint Inverness had about it could have been that the ref should have given one of the 2 fouls on Morgan leading up to the 3rd that was in the box.

Ridgers challenge on Magennis was a foul and a booking all day long too.

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'm not sure what 'antics' you're talking about. Vigurs got two yellows, neither for fouls, both for trying to act a hard man. John Baird could have seen yellow on more than one occasion and your big number 5 tried to square up to just about every Saints player after our second.

The penalty was a stonewaller, the only complaint Inverness had about it could have been that the ref should have given one of the 2 fouls on Morgan leading up to the 3rd that was in the box.

Ridgers challenge on Magennis was a foul and a booking all day long too.

Definition of "antics" - late challenges, blatant fouling while not in possession, dropping dead at mere touches while in possession. Ref seemed to think we were playing basketball when you had the ball but rugby when we had it.

As for Vigurs, his first yellow was for understandable frustration at lack of protection from the ref. His second yellow seemed to be for being pushed to the ground by Samson. 

But like the Murphy's I'm not bitter. 

Definition of "antics" - late challenges, blatant fouling while not in possession, dropping dead at mere touches while in possession. Ref seemed to think we were playing basketball when you had the ball but rugby when we had it.
As for Vigurs, his first yellow was for understandable frustration at lack of protection from the ref. His second yellow seemed to be for being pushed to the ground by Samson. 
But like the Murphy's I'm not bitter. 

Funny how two people can watch the same match and see very different things.

Who is the official Inverness twitter guy? My money is on RiG or cif73. 

So, so salty. Must be difficult playing on an even playing field in terms of officials when you can't call on Kevin 'I have a stand named after me as I was Caley's 12th man for years' Bissett. :lol:

received_1609293512462584.thumb.png.9a004f00000f1e84cb32680f089b290e.png

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

You indicated yourself that you thought there were 2 fouls outside the box before whatever led to the penalty. A penalty instead of a free kick at 0-0 radically changed the game. The second goal was academic because we're having to chase to get something from the game then. Your goalie should have seen red ... a card I mean. He obviously saw red when he shoved Vigurs two handed to the ground. Two big calls. Ref ruined it. 

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I suspect that the only thing that you will get agreement from us on is that the Rajah is the best Indian in Inverness :lol:

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who is the official Inverness twitter guy? My money is on RiG or cif73. 

So, so salty. Must be difficult playing on an even playing field in terms of officials when you can't call on Kevin 'I have a stand named after me as I was Caley's 12th man for years' Bissett. :lol:

received_1609293512462584.thumb.png.9a004f00000f1e84cb32680f089b290e.png

Our Twitter account is a full blown minter at times.

You indicated yourself that you thought there were 2 fouls outside the box before whatever led to the penalty. A penalty instead of a free kick at 0-0 radically changed the game. The second goal was academic because we're having to chase to get something from the game then. Your goalie should have seen red ... a card I mean. He obviously saw red when he shoved Vigurs two handed to the ground. Two big calls. Ref ruined it. 

Red card for a push? Aye ok.

Morgan was fouled just about every time he had the ball. Unlike Inverness' front men he picks himself up and gets on with it. He managed to keep the ball despite being fouled more than once, then he was bundled over. It was a clear penalty.

3 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Again, no sympathy. Caley and to a lesser extent, County built a fortress around homer refs in the early SFL days. Bissett the chief offender. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, no sympathy. Caley and to a lesser extent, County built a fortress around homer refs in the early SFL days. Bissett the chief offender. 

Most refs come from the central belt and too often one gets the impression from their performances that they don't fancy the A9 ... and are maybe they're doing their bit to bring it to an end ;)

Unfortunately we don't an intimidating home crowd atmosphere to sway the ref either ;)

The referee was interesting but the fact of the matter was that we had the square root of not very much as attacking options.

If we had we would have won easily.

There was a distinct lack of booing for our right sided full back, so perhaps it's finally time to move on.

Inverness fans have obviously been blissfully unaware of the west coast bias that exists with Scottish referees.

Good win in some terrible conditions. It was games like this that worried me with our team as I thought they might not be up for it given the conditions and the pitch. It caused a bit of mayhem for both teams but we played well second half and played the ball about as well as we could’ve.

Thought that was our strongest team out today. I was impressed by Inverness again, surprised that Trafford was left on the bench as he was very good at the first game. Much like the first game, we gave Polworth too much space and time.

It was a definite penalty and Samson was never a red card.

Archived