Aberdeen v St Mirren Scottish Cup Round 4

shull

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bear in mind Aberdeen should have gone down to 10 men with 30 minutes to play, which... would have had absolutely no impact on the result whatsoever. But still... Boooooooo!

Agreed considine was very fortunate. Was surprised he wasn’t hooked straight away after that

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Thought 4-1 flattered us in the end. Despite only conceding 1, thought we were much worse second half than first. Offered nothing at all going forward and were still poor defensively.

Worth noting that in our 2 games against Premiership opponents this year, we have conceded 9 and scored 1. Despite being well clear at the top of the Championship, we’re clearly a bit off Premiership standard.

Another thing that struck me today was Christie and Morgan. Lewis must be looking at Ryan Christie and thinking... if he can’t get near the Celtic first team then...

That’s 3 cup failures out of 3 for us this season. Think it’s helping our league form though, so that’s ok. All about winning this daft championship for us now.

We competed in the first half quite well Aberdeens 3 goal was clearly a huge mistake by Stellos. He is not going to be a fist choice if we go up. Not taking anything away from Aberdeen but we were very , very poor in the second half. 

We were decent in the first half, and should have still been in the match at half time were it not for a couple of examples of poor defending from Stelios. A screamer at the start of the second half pretty much ended the game as a contest, and it was a bit of a non event after that, with us choosing to give our two new signings some minutes.

A stark reminder that mistakes at Premiership level will be punished, and that we need to strengthen the defence - full back areas especially - in the summer, if we manage to get promotion. 

It kind of does. The fact Gavin Reilly has 20 goals and Lewis Morgan is "by far" the best players at that level says a lot. Morgan looks absolutely miles behind Ryan Christie despite their only being a year difference in age. 

Billy O’Brien was considered a good championship goalkeeper last season. He went to Dundee last season and kept a clean sheet, does that mean the difference between the championship and premiership was non existent? No it doesn’t.

I agree there is a difference between premiership and championship however Craig Samson is not it.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

The fact that Craig Samson is considered a good Championship level goalie and plays for the team that's top of the league highlights the clear difference in quality alone between the Championship and Premiership this season.

I don't think it says anything about the comparative standard of the divisions, but apart from a few blinkered St. Mirren fans nobody thinks Craig Samson is a good Championship goalkeeper. Throughout his career, everyone other than happy clappers at his club at the time have overwhelmingly recognised that he's fucking terrible.

I don't think it says anything about the comparative standard of the divisions, but apart from a few blinkered St. Mirren fans nobody thinks Craig Samson is a good Championship goalkeeper. Throughout his career, everyone other than happy clappers at his club at the time have overwhelmingly recognised that he's fucking terrible.

Fair enough, my comment is coming back to haunt me anyways as we are currently trailing to Caley. [emoji38]

Agreed and to be fair, St Mirren are a much better team at home.

11 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Some folk were singing Paisley, most were singing Glasgow.

Glasgow slums annoys them more.

Strange commet, personally I feel sad someone would not know some of the biggest selling items in the world such as cotton  thread , paisley pattern would not know we have a proud team and town history . Its called Paisley.  

8 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Strange commet, personally I feel sad someone would not know some of the biggest selling items in the world such as cotton  thread , paisley pattern would not know we have a proud team and town history . Its called Paisley.  

So sad, Donald.

We know the difference but we also know it annoys you more to be lumped in with the weegies. :P

Good on them playing openly, but that’ll change if they come up and every point is a prisoner. Then they’ll just become yet another Weegie overspill club that folk can’t wait to be relegated.

Good workout for us though. Could tell that’s our backup CB pairing, and I still think there’s a lack of solidity in the middle of the park.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yes.

Even if we'd pulled off a shock here, we'd be put out by some other top flight team. In 2013 we beat Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts on the way to the league cup, because we had a squad that you could only have assembled in the top flight.

It's about seeing the bigger picture. I agree that cups are fucking brilliant, but how many second tier teams win it? Hibs are in a tiny minority. 

I understand all of that, but the fact is that no individual league game, certainly at this time of year, carries the significance of an individual cup tie.

The fact that your season remains very much alive despite today, is obviously a good thing that I'm envious of.   It just bugs me when the Cup gets denigrated in deference to the weekly grind.  I do think it represents a triumph of marketing.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I understand all of that, but the fact is that no individual league game, certainly at this time of year, carries the significance of an individual cup tie.

It's not a fact at all. That you think it is just shows how massive your ego is. Wind it in.

Archived