Aberdeen v St Mirren Scottish Cup Round 4

shull

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Hopefully he goes onto to become a good player for them however the fact they were happy to loan him out with Hayes and Roberts both injured tells it's own story.

They weren't really happy to loan him out. They did realise however that we wouldn't play ball on a transfer if the loan wasn't part of the deal and they'd have to take their chances with the likes of Derby and Forest sniffing about in the summer. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

St Mirren are top of the worst Championship in years. Maybe decades. 

It's up to them to prove that they're the match of Premiership clubs. At the moment they're 4-1 down to an Aberdeen side that hasn't got out of 2nd gear all game. 

Take from that what you will.

I doubt you would actually know regarding the first comment, and as an Aberdeen fan always in the Premier I suppose that is not such slander.

You are right it is up to us, and if you read back I've clearly said we've shat the bed, we shat it early and we shat it hard.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So you don't want Cup progress, because you'd rather be in a position to make Cup progress?

Right, got it.

Yes.

Even if we'd pulled off a shock here, we'd be put out by some other top flight team. In 2013 we beat Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts on the way to the league cup, because we had a squad that you could only have assembled in the top flight.

It's about seeing the bigger picture. I agree that cups are fucking brilliant, but how many second tier teams win it? Hibs are in a tiny minority. 

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So you don't want Cup progress, because you'd rather be in a position to make Cup progress?

Right, got it.

This. Us finishing third in the top flight is absolutely nowhere near as memorable as winning this trophy. 

Craig Samson just sitting on his arse for that goalmouth scramble, assuming it'll be a goal and not bothering to get himself back in position.

Then when he finally does he drops a tame effort, but the Dons lad is offside.

Absolutely stealing a living.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

We’ve not shown what we’re capable of and we’re 4-1 up and cruising. That’s having not played in 3 weeks, missing our two best centre backs and with May and McGinn on the bench.

St Mirren would be comfortably bottom of the league on this showing. Not capable of defending against higher quality players.

Aberdeen's performance is, strange as it sounds, irrelevant here. We were the ones that handed you the game, and for that I don't think anyone here considers Aberdeen to be "playing well" here. They've contained and prodded and that's all they've needed to do.

The "on this showing" is a fair caveat here. If this was all you ever saw of us, you would rightly contest this is a poor team sprinkled with some good talent that haven't turned up and I would be hard pressed to argue that.

3 minutes ago, Silvio said:

The conclusions being jumped too off the back of one game...

Morgan is shite. Worst Championship Ever. St Mirren will need a whole new team if they come up...

It's one game ffs.

Is Morgan still on the pitch? 

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

And did you win the cup whilst in the Championship? 

I'm not sure how it matters. You're pretty much saying you'd rather play top flight football than have a memorable cup run. 

The top flight is fucking shite, 90% of the games are absolute slog fests and the other 10% is being pumped by Celtic. I've no idea why you're making it sound like some promised land. You'll enjoy this season more than next. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, killie_lad said:

Can the 2nd top club In Scotland make it to the final with the rights draws. Wow what a fucking genius question that is.

Billy Dodds struggled to answer it. 

Thought 4-1 flattered us in the end. Despite only conceding 1, thought we were much worse second half than first. Offered nothing at all going forward and were still poor defensively.

Worth noting that in our 2 games against Premiership opponents this year, we have conceded 9 and scored 1. Despite being well clear at the top of the Championship, we’re clearly a bit off Premiership standard.

Another thing that struck me today was Christie and Morgan. Lewis must be looking at Ryan Christie and thinking... if he can’t get near the Celtic first team then...

That’s 3 cup failures out of 3 for us this season. Think it’s helping our league form though, so that’s ok. All about winning this daft championship for us now.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So how else are you going to compare the quality?

It's a fair question of course. I suppose it might come across as deflection, but we've been terrible today. Normally when higher/lower league cup games come up it's the higher league team that forces the lower league team into playing badly. But really? In this case, the damage was all done by ourselves. In cases like these I don't see it being a very good barometer.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure how it matters. You're pretty much saying you'd rather play top flight football than have a memorable cup run. 

The top flight is fucking shite, 90% of the games are absolute slog fests and the other 10% is being pumped by Celtic. I've no idea why you're making it sound like some promised land. You'll enjoy this season more than next. 

You're putting so many words in my mouth there!

I'm saying top flight football makes memorable cup runs more likely.

Look at it a different way: given our budgets, this is pretty much as good a squad as we could assemble.  Based on what you've just seen, is this squad good enough to lift a national trophy?

Aberdeen's performance is, strange as it sounds, irrelevant here. We were the ones that handed you the game, and for that I don't think anyone here considers Aberdeen to be "playing well" here. They've contained and prodded and that's all they've needed to do.
The "on this showing" is a fair caveat here. If this was all you ever saw of us, you would rightly contest this is a poor team sprinkled with some good talent that haven't turned up and I would be hard pressed to argue that.

It’s very relevant. Aberdeen haven’t had to work hard to pump the top team in the Championship. St Mirren’s two games against Premiership sides have finished 5-0 and 4-1 which would suggest that their defence in particular in not good enough for the top flight, despite them being the BBC media darlings.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

They weren't really happy to loan him out. They did realise however that we wouldn't play ball on a transfer if the loan wasn't part of the deal and they'd have to take their chances with the likes of Derby and Forest sniffing about in the summer. 

If Celtic were not happy to loan him out they would not have.

Archived