Albion Rovers vs St Johnstone

jamamafegan

Good professional performance, great to visit an old school ground like Cliftonhill for the first time in ages.  Is the old covered terrace opposite the Main Stand permanently out of action now? Seems a pity.

First half we played it like a junior match, constant punts up the park, whereas Rovers tried to get it down to play a bit. Their number 9 (was that Shields, didn't catch the team lines?) looked good.

Second half was a different story, we were professional and very comfortable in the end.  Kane, Johnstone, Kyle McLean and Davidson were all good for us. Nobody was especially poor.

A game we obviously should be winning, but still good to get a bit of positivity going, to get a bit of match fitness, blood some younger lads whilst hopefully not picking up anymore injuries.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening, and if we could be dropped in the draw in the first round of the Scottish Cup (not thru being relegated though!) every season so we get more opportunities to visit lower league grounds then that would be great. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyable night all round. Cliftonhill would look decent if it was given a lick of paint and the terraced stand on the other side of the pitch was brought back to life. Annoying that we didn’t get to keep our tickets, really stupid actually.

Was good to see footballing greats like King Kenny and Gary Caldwell turn up to see the Saintees in town.

My pie and Bovril cost me 3 quid. Very pleased with that.

1105 attendance on a Monday night. Dece.

Got to see Saints win for once.

Happy with that.

Not much football on show, to be expected with the conditions I suppose. Pre season friendly vibe to it, fans a bit flat for my liking. Some of the young lads did ok, Kane looked lively and took his goals well.

Will be a different story on Saturday, another splendid day on the pish in the capital in store. Canny wait.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I presume Kane was good then. How was Kerr? Albeit its not likely you will learn much about them against Albion Rovers.

Little bit underwhelmed if I'm critically honest, looked quite raw but conditions were hard and maybe some nerves making his debut. If only one is to play on Saturday, would expect Gordon to get the nod over him.

I've always liked Chris Kane, he's maybe just lacked a bit of swagger. Maybe looks to be carrying a bit more now.

Kerr was alright, him and Gordon both had dodgy moments. Looks like Kerr is aware he's stronger and faster than strikers so takes a bit of a risk, he won't get away with that in the top flight, and I think he'll cost a goal or two before he learns. 

Agree about Kane and his "swagger". He's now, finally, taking pot shots as soon as he can instead of passing the ball. Strikers should all be greedy fucks who believe they can score given a chance, you get that vibe off him now, before he looked scared to miss 

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^^

Has played three months with Stephen Dobbie.

Shame Dobbie didn't teach him how to stay onside though.. 

Shame Dobbie didn't teach him how to stay onside though.. 

Tbf I’m not sure Dobbie’s the type of striker to run in behind the same way Kane is. I don’t mind him being caught offside as he’s trying to stretch defences and I suspect he’s onside more than he’s given, we’ve just got woeful linesmen.

18 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Annoying that we didn’t get to keep our tickets, really stupid actually.

Yeah, that was a bit daft. My oldest boy was on a turnstile last night and said a lot of folk were pissed off at it. I actually still have our tickets as we went up early to help out, so if anyone wants one as a momento, PM me and I'll happily post them on.

To the game, and the result was fair. We had a very good spell towards the end of the first half but couldn't get it over the line, and St Johnstone then  came out re-energised for the second half and seen us off. I suspect Shields will have impressed a few last night, and all in all, we've played a lot worse this year, especially recently. We need to start getting league points on the board soon though.

All the best to St Johnstone for the rest of the season; that's a promising young team you have there

Archived