Albion Rovers vs St Johnstone

jamamafegan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have thought Rovers fans might be quite chuffed with this one. Certainly not a familiar opponent and a bigger club would mean a switch of ground. Few experienced names in their side and Saints won't have played for three weeks. Makings of a proper cup tie.

Well pleased to be playing the saints in Coatbridge again. Last two games I remember there are Saints winning 5-2 ( rovers were 2 up!) in 89 and I’m sure there was a pre season friendly in 94 My early guess would be 5-600 from Perth. Game will go ahead at cliftonhill no problem.

Buzzing for this, never been to Cliftonhill, and nothing quite matches an away day to a new ground.

I'll be absolutely seething if this gets moved to some absolute hovel that I've already been too (I'm looking at you, Airdrie)

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Didn’t Motherwell play (and were defeated) at Cliftonhill in the cup recently?

I’m sure there won’t be an issue with us playing there.

It was at Hamilton.

The 5-2 game is one that's gone down in Saints folklore. Two goals down with just 20 minutes left and still behind approaching the final 10 minutes, we score 4 times in 8 minutes (doubles from Sammy Johnston and Roddy Grant) to turn it around and set us up for the famous showdown with Airdrieonians a week later.

Our two crowds at Cliftonhill that season were 1,793 and 1,321. Even the home game had an attendance of 4,470!

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The 5-2 game is one that's gone down in Saints folklore. Two goals down with just 20 minutes left and still behind approaching the final 10 minutes, we score 4 times in 8 minutes (doubles from Sammy Johnston and Roddy Grant) to turn it around and set us up for the famous showdown with Airdrieonians a week later.

Our two crowds at Cliftonhill that season were 1,793 and 1,321. Even the home game had an attendance of 4,470!

I remember this game ,Rovers caved in the last 20 mins. Also remember a 7-1 doing at Muirton Park mid 80’s. Rovers had 2or3 players red carded that day. The ghost of Grant “Shaggy” Jenkins still haunts me.

What I remember about the replay is it was a freezing night and it was a last minute decision for us to go. Didn’t leave Coatbridge til after half six lost 2-0 to two early goals and if I remember correctly saints went up to Fraserburgh in next round .

9 hours ago, JHS rip said:

What I remember about the replay is it was a freezing night and it was a last minute decision for us to go. Didn’t leave Coatbridge til after half six lost 2-0 to two early goals and if I remember correctly saints went up to Fraserburgh in next round .

Yes and I think we beat them 5-2 ??

I think that was the season we got Aberdeen in the third round at Muirton and lost 0-1 to a late goal.

14 hours ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Fair looking forward to it, and no reason why it shouldn't be at Cliftonhill as, since renovation of the terracing at the Airdrie end, we can take nearly 1600. How many tickets do you think The Perth Sainties will be after? Do Henry Hall and John Connolly still play for you?

A brilliant draw. An away trip to a ground we don't get to often. Happy memories of visits to Cliftonhill in our promotion season, standing in the wee enclosure opposite the Main Stand. Do you still have the back of the Main Stand painted in a huge black red and yellow flag?

I think we'll bring at least 1000, so could be a sell out.   Saints fans seem to love an away Cup tie at a lower league ground. We'll have been starved of football for a few weeks due to this nonsense winter break malarkey so many will be extra keen to get to a game.

Buzzing for this already. Far more so than most of those 7 fixtures we've got lined up in December!

A brilliant draw. An away trip to a ground we don't get to often. Happy memories of visits to Cliftonhill in our promotion season, standing in the wee enclosure opposite the Main Stand. Do you still have the back of the Main Stand painted in a huge black red and yellow flag?
I think we'll bring at least 1000, so could be a sell out.   Saints fans seem to love an away Cup tie at a lower league ground. We'll have been starved of football for a few weeks due to this nonsense winter break malarkey so many will be extra keen to get to a game.
Buzzing for this already. Far more so than most of those 7 fixtures we've got lined up in December!

At the risk of dampening your enthusiasm, I would advise that you don't bet too much on the game being played on the first scheduled date : it is Coatbridge in January! ( I just hope this isn't an excuse used by our board to switch the tie to Airdrie's plastic pitch. )
The back of the main stand - the side facing Main Street - has been black, red and yellow bands of colour for a few years now, with the name of our main sponsor, Reigart, emblazoned on one of the bands.
Looking forward to the game. If you need suggestions regarding pubs, let us know.

This is actually a decent draw, despite it not being a particularly winnable tie or a huge money-spinner. Something different, although I'd have loved the tie in reverse for a wee day out in Perth

There should be no excuses around hosting this at Cliftonhill, and I'm not surprised the Saints' fans are looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see what they make of our 'rustic' surroundings.

All I know about Coatbridge is that the court house in front of the stadium is stuck very much in the 60s and no that's not from previous experience!

New grounds are always good fun, so should see a good support for saints anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived