Scottish Cup Weekend

joe 90

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should just get the draw done ASAP. Everyone understands that there won't be matches involving four teams. 

I suspect that the chaps who could make this happen are on the home stretch of their Christmas wind down now so it won't be happening until the last of the SJFA eggnog has been polished off. 

So with positively tropical double digit temps and dry conditions forecast for the next week, it would be fair to say all games should proceed on Saturday.

Any games called off we can probably assume clubs are "at it" :whistle

So what clubs have actually qualified for 4th round already

Arthurlie, Blackburn United, Bo'ness United, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, Cumnock Juniors, Dunbar United, Forfar West End, Gartcairn, Haddington Athletic, Jeanfield Shifts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Pollok, Rossvale, Rutherglen Glencairn, Yoker Athletic.

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

Arthurlie, Blackburn United, Bo'ness United, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, Cumnock Juniors, Dunbar United, Forfar West End, Gartcairn, Haddington Athletic, Jeanfield Shifts, Kennoway Star Hearts, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Pollok, Rossvale, Rutherglen Glencairn, Yoker Athletic.

Lolz 

5 hours ago, Shanner said:

Just realising that if I make a match this weekend it will be the 3rd tie I've seen in this round after VOC V BRR and KRR V Glenafton. Could even see a 4th if there are replays. 

Not unusual with our Scottish weather drawing out R3 most seasons. The Junior Cup is the best competition there is and for me it takes priority when deciding which game to do as a neutral groundhopper each Saturday. So it's usual for me to see many R3 ties each season. Tomorrow will be my 4th fixture of this season's R3.

It was also four R3 ties that I was at last season, and five a couple of seasons before that.

You've intrigued me to dig back through my records when I get home tonight to see whether I might have had more than that in any one season.

2 minutes ago, LeedsPhil said:

Not unusual with our Scottish weather drawing out R3 most seasons. The Junior Cup is the best competition there is and for me it takes priority when deciding which game to do as a neutral groundhopper each Saturday. So it's usual for me to see many R3 ties each season. Tomorrow will be my 4th fixture of this season's R3.

It was also four R3 ties that I was at last season, and five a couple of seasons before that.

You've intrigued me to dig back through my records when I get home tonight to see whether I might have had more than that in any one season.

I hadn't really bothered to do that sort of thing in the past so would usually just see the one cherry picked game but have to admit I'll be trying to do it a bit more and it's a happy accident of the crap weather. 

Apparently at present the pitch has six or seven frozen patches.  I don't know how big or widespread they are but if it's only patches and not the entire pitch then this game would surely be playable come Saturday afternoon given the excellent weather forecast.

I'm not as surprised. Up here (I'm in Aberdeenshire) we've not just been suffering from occasional hard frosts like the rest of you. On my train journeys, there has been one world down until Stonehaven, a different world south of there. Up north we have had a series of dumps of snow cover each of which never disappeared. That cumulative snow cover froze and turned to a thickness of ice, not just a frost sheen of ice. Pavements up here have been lethal as the council did sod all. Prior to the snowfall, Dyce's pitch was already being reported as soggy. We've at last had a few days of gradual melting of the snow cover - most, but not all of which, has now gone. But that will have been putting meltwater into already soggy ground. Overnight into this morning we had a sharp frost. So if there are any remaining clumps of frozen snow cover on Ian Mair Park, it doesn't surprise me that if a Friday decision had to be made it would have had to err on the side of caution.

A fifth tie of R3 beckons for me, on the 30th ! :thumsup2

Archived