Annan Athletic vs Clyde

Only 2 things to report from this game. The Annan fans cheering when the penalty was awarded and the Clyde fans cheering when the lad skied it. Apart from that a woeful match. 

No idea what McNiff was thinking about when he played the ball with his arm.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

It looked like he thought he'd been fouled and was trying to pick the ball up. He was on the ground and grabbed it with both hands. That's my theory but there was no whistle and a definite penalty. Lucky not to pick up a card.

SP will be pleased note that we played with a 352 today. Lowdon and Cuddihy either side of Ramsay who played deepest. Stuck with it the whole game with Duffie playing the sitting role when Fergie came on. It shows we're desperately short in that area as Lowdon, quite simply, isn't very good in that position. 

The turning point in the match was the penalty. Before that we were comfortable; Annan had created absolutely nothing and we'd had a few near things. One great shot in the first half from Smart after a couple of good passes by Cuddihy/Goodwillie, then a goalmouth scramble saw Smart miss from close range after a corner kick. Second half Ramsay had a shot cleared and Goodwillie had a free-kick that absolutely flew just past the post. That free-kick came about after Goodwillie had been fouled in what looked like a good position to get a shot away. From our angle (and I know that distorts things in the low stand) it looked like a red card was a possibility.

Swinglehurst then stood all over Osolador in an incident similar to Smith/Breslin last week.  He had plenty of opportunity to avoid him and the fact he's had a wee kick out in both games this season... Right after that, McNIff was clearly fouled in our box but he then strangely chose to pick the ball up whilst lying on the ground. The referee, having missed the original foul, was only going to award a spot-kick. Absolutely diabolical effort from Smith, must have been a good two or three feet over the bar.

The last part of the game was better from Annan as our midfield, who had covered a lot of ground, died out of things and we dropped depper. The ball didn't stick with Gormley/Goodwillie, and Ferguson's cameo was absolutely diabolical. Currie had a decent save at his near-post, and there was another scramble poked against the outside the post. Didn't ever feel that we were under the cosh despite them having the possession though.

Clean sheet on the face of it is a good thing but they've only managed to score 3 goals at home so it has to be put into some context. Didn't do enough to win, but we didn't deserve to lose either.

Currie didn't have much to do but did it just fine. The back three were all pretty good and dealt with the Annan strikers easily. I actually thought McNIff was verging on being our best performer until the spot-kick, I'd maybe pass it on to either Home or Munro. Cuddihy started well at both ends of the pitch but ended up only doing his defensive job. Ramsay was involved without being noticeable. Lowdon was noticeable but only for giving the ball away every time he had it. Wingbacks defended and didn't offer anything at the other end. Goodwillie has played better. 

I think that puts any delusions about play-off challenges firmly in the bin. Two tough games coming up; it's a good thing we're unbeaten against the league leaders when we've played them this season.

You are presuming that there was some sort of thought process involved , evidence throughout the season would certainly refute that theory

SP will be pleased note that we played with a 352 today. Lowdon and Cuddihy either side of Ramsay who played deepest. Stuck with it the whole game with Duffie playing the sitting role when Fergie came on. It shows we're desperately short in that area as Lowdon, quite simply, isn't very good in that position. 
The turning point in the match was the penalty. Before that we were comfortable; Annan had created absolutely nothing and we'd had a few near things. One great shot in the first half from Smart after a couple of good passes by Cuddihy/Goodwillie, then a goalmouth scramble saw Smart miss from close range after a corner kick. Second half Ramsay had a shot cleared and Goodwillie had a free-kick that absolutely flew just past the post. That free-kick came about after Goodwillie had been fouled in what looked like a good position to get a shot away. From our angle (and I know that distorts things in the low stand) it looked like a red card was a possibility.
Swinglehurst then stood all over Osolador in an incident similar to Smith/Breslin last week.  He had plenty of opportunity to avoid him and the fact he's had a wee kick out in both games this season... Right after that, McNIff was clearly fouled in our box but he then strangely chose to pick the ball up whilst lying on the ground. The referee, having missed the original foul, was only going to award a spot-kick. Absolutely diabolical effort from Smith, must have been a good two or three feet over the bar.
The last part of the game was better from Annan as our midfield, who had covered a lot of ground, died out of things and we dropped depper. The ball didn't stick with Gormley/Goodwillie, and Ferguson's cameo was absolutely diabolical. Currie had a decent save at his near-post, and there was another scramble poked against the outside the post. Didn't ever feel that we were under the cosh despite them having the possession though.
Clean sheet on the face of it is a good thing but they've only managed to score 3 goals at home so it has to be put into some context. Didn't do enough to win, but we didn't deserve to lose either.
Currie didn't have much to do but did it just fine. The back three were all pretty good and dealt with the Annan strikers easily. I actually thought McNIff was verging on being our best performer until the spot-kick, I'd maybe pass it on to either Home or Munro. Cuddihy started well at both ends of the pitch but ended up only doing his defensive job. Ramsay was involved without being noticeable. Lowdon was noticeable but only for giving the ball away every time he had it. Wingbacks defended and didn't offer anything at the other end. Goodwillie has played better. 
I think that puts any delusions about play-off challenges firmly in the bin. Two tough games coming up; it's a good thing we're unbeaten against the league leaders when we've played them this season.

Firstly huge respect to every Clyde fan who went down to Annan today
Can't comment on the result but the consensus seems to be it was dreadful and the responsibility lies at the boards / innes door for an absolutely appalling appointment in Chapman and the squad he was allowed to assemble mcnally and now Lennon have been left with a damage limitation exercise and they have done a very good job do far.
Let's hope January sees a clear out

3 hours ago, David W said:

I think that puts any delusions about play-off challenges firmly in the bin.

Was it 3-5-2 right enough? I'd it figured for a 4-4-2, looking at the team sheet and knowing Lennon's preference through his career as a manager.

You're right though: pleasing. Definitely the most conducive shape for picking up points.

I think you're a wee bit pessimistic re play-off challenges. A good January haul could change things no bother. If we get Goodwillie playing with the swagger he should be - means bringing in new players, sure - we could shoot up a good few spots I think.

There's five teams who will all get 50+ points. We'd need about 2 points a game to realistically have a chance; title challenging form. Given we'll be another six or seven games down by the time he can bring players in, I think it's very unlikely. It would need to be like last season where ourselves and Elgin went on long winless runs. 

There's five teams who will all get 50+ points. We'd need about 2 points a game to realistically have a chance; title challenging form. Given we'll be another six or seven games down by the time he can bring players in, I think it's very unlikely. It would need to be like last season where ourselves and Elgin went on long winless runs. 

Think if Lennon is given the ammunition to revamp the squad
We could go on a good run of results
But as you say depends on results up to then could easily be 20 odd points off the play off place
The biggest problem is that it's not just one team but maybe two or three that would require a long winless run

Archived