Masterchef Pros

RH33

55 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Maybe Marcus  said their crepe was shite and he/she threw it across the room and offered him a square go.

Not just you who thinks this (unless the Yorkshire Post are scanning these pages)

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/read-this/heres-what-happened-masterchefs-missing-fourth-chef-and-why-he-was-edited-out-3046857

"On social media, one fan quipped that the crêpes may have been “too much pressure” for the missing contestant, and that “they threw the sauce across the room and were disqualified.”

Totally misleading headline btw, they don't know either.

Skills challenge has lost a bit of its magic this year with the reduced number of contestants and one of Monica or Marcus leaving to watch it on a screen. All the fun was seeing these chefs tremble their way through making a mushroom tortilini or some such dish, with Marcus and Monica standing 3 feet away shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at every single mistake they made. But also that sort of ‘they know what they are doing’ face, where they would smile and glance at each other when the chef remembered to cool his mushroom filling before putting it in the pasta.

Will never forget the contestant a couple of seasons back who made a fish omelette that all the judges refused to eat. It’s brilliant television watching a normally competent chef absolutely crumble in front of your eyes, shaking like a leaf while trying to perform quite basic cooking skills  

Probably my favourite show on television with the only negative about it being Gregg Wallace. I respect Marcus and Monica’s judgement, I trust their opinion and because I can’t physically taste the food I’m happy to put that in their hands. They are top level chefs who run restaurants, have Michelin stars etc. Gregg Wallace however is nothing, I’m led to believe. A jumped up greengrocer who for some unfathomable reason is also allowed an opinion on the food. If he tastes a dish that has something in it like pickled cucumber, or a dish with spices through it, then he just says things like ‘wow I’m really getting that zing off the cucumber’ or ‘wow I can really feel the heat coming through in this’. He literally just says he tastes things that the chef has already told him was going to be in the dish. He also thinks hes some sort of Chelsea Headhunter when he shouts at the chefs to stop cooking. He’s an idiot.  

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Skills challenge has lost a bit of its magic this year with the reduced number of contestants and one of Monica or Marcus leaving to watch it on a screen. All the fun was seeing these chefs tremble their way through making a mushroom tortilini or some such dish, with Marcus and Monica standing 3 feet away shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at every single mistake they made. But also that sort of ‘they know what they are doing’ face, where they would smile and glance at each other when the chef remembered to cool his mushroom filling before putting it in the pasta.

Will never forget the contestant a couple of seasons back who made a fish omelette that all the judges refused to eat. It’s brilliant television watching a normally competent chef absolutely crumble in front of your eyes, shaking like a leaf while trying to perform quite basic cooking skills  

Probably my favourite show on television with the only negative about it being Gregg Wallace. I respect Marcus and Monica’s judgement, I trust their opinion and because I can’t physically taste the food I’m happy to put that in their hands. They are top level chefs who run restaurants, have Michelin stars etc. Gregg Wallace however is nothing, I’m led to believe. A jumped up greengrocer who for some unfathomable reason is also allowed an opinion on the food. If he tastes a dish that has something in it like pickled cucumber, or a dish with spices through it, then he just says things like ‘wow I’m really getting that zing off the cucumber’ or ‘wow I can really feel the heat coming through in this’. He literally just says he tastes things that the chef has already told him was going to be in the dish. He also thinks hes some sort of Chelsea Headhunter when he shouts at the chefs to stop cooking. He’s an idiot.  

Marcus Wareing seems like a good guy.  I read a thing with him saying he was basically told to play up the harsh critic in the early series.  There were a couple of instances when he’s been overly kind to f**k ups - Scott from Manchester and a couple of amateurs I seem to recall.  He’s more Paul Hollywood than Alan Sugar these days.  He also is one of the few of those celebrity chefs who actually cooks at his own kitchen, which seems like a good thing on balance.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Marcus Wareing seems like a good guy.  I read a thing with him saying he was basically told to play up the harsh critic in the early series.  There were a couple of instances when he’s been overly kind to f**k ups - Scott from Manchester and a couple of amateurs I seem to recall.  He’s more Paul Hollywood than Alan Sugar these days.  He also is one of the few of those celebrity chefs who actually cooks at his own kitchen, which seems like a good thing on balance.

Agreed, I’ve always thought he was a good guy. He makes the faces when the chef is making a balls up of the skills test, but he’s well aware of the pressure they are under and doesn’t hold it against them if they come back with a good signature dish. Hes always supportive in his criticism and if he can find any positives then he will let the chef know. 

On 28/11/2020 at 16:18, Mark Connolly said:

Marcus is a good guy. Had the pleasure of eating at all 3 of his restaurants in London, and they all absolutely deliver, while still being decently priced. The Sunday lunch at the Gilbert Scott is absolutely tremendous.

Booked in for the tasting menu at Marcus with Savage Henrietta for her birthday.  Can’t wait.  

On 28/11/2020 at 13:40, Savage Henry said:

Did he not get absolutely hammered for being really rude when he was invited chef few years back?

It’s not been as prominent this year, but I really don’t enjoy the episodes where the chefs go to some Michelin star restaurant in a Spanish village and have the challenge of recreating the chefs most famous dishes. The dishes are always technically outstanding and the contestant will say that they won’t be able to recreate it, but 15 minutes later they do exactly that, and the head chef is then sending their dishes out into his own restaurant. I’m not advocating some kind of Masterchef Australia deal, but those challenges on the UK show add absolutely nothing to the reputation of the contestants and have no bearing on the outcome of the champion. I genuinely can’t remember watching one of these episodes where the chef who created the dish has had anything but praise for the contestant, and Marcus and Monica aren’t even with them on location and never have any comment on that segment, it’s all about what they do in the Masterchef kitchen.

It’s the exact same with the challenges where they go to a works canteen and have to make industrial sized portions of their chosen dish and then stand dishing it out like a school dinner lady. 

It’s not been as prominent this year, but I really don’t enjoy the episodes where the chefs go to some Michelin star restaurant in a Spanish village and have the challenge of recreating the chefs most famous dishes. The dishes are always technically outstanding and the contestant will say that they won’t be able to recreate it, but 15 minutes later they do exactly that, and the head chef is then sending their dishes out into his own restaurant. I’m not advocating some kind of Masterchef Australia deal, but those challenges on the UK show add absolutely nothing to the reputation of the contestants and have no bearing on the outcome of the champion. I genuinely can’t remember watching one of these episodes where the chef who created the dish has had anything but praise for the contestant, and Marcus and Monica aren’t even with them on location and never have any comment on that segment, it’s all about what they do in the Masterchef kitchen.

It’s the exact same with the challenges where they go to a works canteen and have to make industrial sized portions of their chosen dish and then stand dishing it out like a school dinner lady. 
I have long thought they could learn a bit from Masterchef Australia. Some of the challenges they used to do on there were good and different. Sure they used to cook against a top TV chef on that and have the dishes judged agaisnt eachother. Would like to see that.