Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I might be misrembering but I'm sure they virtually had a fire sale in January of 06/07, and it being clear to all at that time theyd struggle to see out that season, never mind the next, regardless of promotion.

They got rid of most of their contracted players and brought in a load of kids on loan from English clubs. Most of them sunk without trace, the exception being Kyle Naughton whose had a decent career.

It was so obvious what was going to happen but any time it was challenged you got a lot of pish about the players going for Rowan Alexander's vision, not the money, and other clubs should stop being jealous and have more ambition. Then, when it did fall apart, Jim Traynor wrote some ridiculous column having a go at the folk who had been stating the obvious for years and questioning why they couldn't just enjoy the ride while it lasted: http://www.allmediascotland.com/press-news/15065/traynor-again-critical-of-scottish-media/

I see it's 12 years today since Caley Thistle's 6-1 win over Gretna at the Caley Stadium.  Gretna were very close to death at this point and they were - quite simply - dreadful.  They must've brought about 15 fans with them and were down to the absolute bare bones of youths and loan signings (including the aforementioned Kyle Naughton).  ICT started with Zibi Malkowski in goal and scored six with six different scorers (none of them being Niculae!).  I remember in-particular in the second half it seemed like players were lining up to score - Tokely managed to get one and I think Vigurs got his first goal for us that day.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

They had a loan deal accepted for Vito Mannone from Arsenal and the story goes that he turned up, saw the facilities and jumped on a train back down to London.

We were in for him as well, but as Charlie Christie couldn't guarantee to Arsene Wenger that he'd be the first choice keeper (we had Michael Fraser) we signed Ally Ridgers on loan from Clachnacuddin instead.

On 01/05/2020 at 12:58, DA Baracus said:

Quite simply horrendous from the music to the video. With all that money surely they could have put together something better than that?

Mind you hearing “nestles in the pokey” sang in that pseudo-American accent is quite something!

Final point, James Grady could be the nicest person on this earth but he’ll always be the epitome of a ‘Gretna p***k’ to me.

Did Rowan Alexander not post on P&B once?  He came on defend his daughter after someone slagged her off or something?

Na Jim Weirs daughter came on here slagging everyone off when Brechin Sacked him from memory.

Anyone else remember that utter dickhead gretna_ed?

ETA: I see I asked this very question on the first page.

It’s still a valid point.

I knew the Gretna project was dead in the water when they paid £60,000 for bit part player Martin Canning from Ross County. It was a laughable amount of money, but the aforementioned Gretna Ed was unwilling to see it as anything other than a bargain.

On 04/05/2020 at 13:08, TheScarf said:

I can't believe they scored against us.  Embarrassing.  Think it was only 1 they scored thankfully.

They were 4-0 up on us after an hour at Fir Park. We were absolutely shite to be fair.

On 03/05/2020 at 20:15, Highland Capital said:

I see it's 12 years today since Caley Thistle's 6-1 win over Gretna at the Caley Stadium.  Gretna were very close to death at this point and they were - quite simply - dreadful.  They must've brought about 15 fans with them and were down to the absolute bare bones of youths and loan signings (including the aforementioned Kyle Naughton).  ICT started with Zibi Malkowski in goal and scored six with six different scorers (none of them being Niculae!).  I remember in-particular in the second half it seemed like players were lining up to score - Tokely managed to get one and I think Vigurs got his first goal for us that day.

When we played Gretna in the league cup that season they brought three paying fans, one of whom was the coach driver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 08:35, TheScarf said:

Just found out The Caley conceded 2 goals in our 6 games against Gretna. 

Fucking disgusting.

Aye but we beat them every single time. Not everybody can say that.

On 01/05/2020 at 18:56, RiG said:

Anyone else remember that utter dickhead gretna_ed?

ETA: I see I asked this very question on the first page.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gretna_ed

Looks like hes a *** now, which is a shock I'm sure.

On 04/05/2020 at 02:08, Scott-Replay said:

Final point, James Grady could be the nicest person on this earth but he’ll always be the epitome of a ‘Gretna p***k’ to me.

He is genuinely a complete p***k, so no need to worry.