Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

19 hours ago, Stu said:

That's the second Gretna documentary, there was one covering the previous season as well. Dunno if it's on YouTube or not.

Can't be bothered watching the full thing again but after the last minute goal against Gretna does Mileson not say something about "always doing it the hard way"?

I was really hoping they'd do a third one where they were destroyed.

Yes as SD has already confirmed we were very much still in the relegation mire at that point.
Classless comment and not a surprise in all honesty.

I remember speaking to some Queens fans when I was down at Palmerston 2 seasons later, I didn’t realise that Gretna had been swamping the schools with tickets for the game until then.

Disgusting attitude.

On 17/11/2017 at 18:49, RandomGuy. said:

I enjoyed that season, though. The second half of it, and the relentless hunting down of Gretna, is likely to be unmatched in terms of excitement over such a long period again. Hardie was absolutely possessed.

Hardie was exactly the same when he helped us get promoted in 2011. Went on an incredible run, highlights being a last-gasp winner at Ross County and then the double against the wee team in the effective title decider. What a hero.

The first documentary which covered the Second Division and cup final season was a two-parter called Field of Dreams, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. No particular interest in watching it again as it involves them waltzing to the title ahead of us, but it did have extremely entertaining post-match dressing room footage of Alexander being absolutely seething while Irons screamed abuse at their players after we won 2-1 at Raydale. IIRC Alexander didn't emerge to speak to the press for more than 90 minutes after the game, said 'The best team won' then stormed off again. Delicious.

I did find this article previewing the documentary, which is an excellent example of the tone of the vast majority of mainstream coverage of Gretna at that point: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/tv-documentary-sheds-revealing-light-on-the-rise-and-rise-of-gretna-1-1117210

Edited by Dunning1874

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

The first documentary which covered the Second Division and cup final season was a two-parter called Field of Dreams, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. No particular interest in watching it again as it involves them waltzing to the title ahead of us, but it did have extremely entertaining post-match dressing room footage of Alexander being absolutely seething while Irons screamed abuse at their players after we won 2-1 at Raydale. IIRC Alexander didn't emerge to speak to the press for more than 90 minutes after the game, said 'The best the team won' then stormed off again. Delicious.

I did find this article previewing the documentary, which is an excellent example of the tone of the vast majority of mainstream coverage of Gretna at that point: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/tv-documentary-sheds-revealing-light-on-the-rise-and-rise-of-gretna-1-1117210

That is pretty amazing.

The first half of the chronicle stands alone as a worthy feature. Not because it details a diary of matches, mostly won by a country mile, and how the quirky characters behind the scene absorb them, but because it identifies the aspects of Brooks Mileson's benevolence that make Gretna unique. Mileson is not the first man to pour money into hiring experienced players to lift a club through the divisions. But he might be the first to spend serious cash, without any prospect of a return, on a scheme that ensures every kid for miles and miles gets free football tuition.

Rarely does the insurance entrepreneur come across as anything other than cuddly and smiley, but he bristles under interview about this pioneering scheme. "Some clubs pay lip service to the term 'community club'," spits the eccentric millionaire, describing their profiteering as "abhorrent."

Last word to Mileson, who under blue skies in August tells the camera: "I hate being told 'can't'." Even he underestimated how much Gretna were the little team that could.

Cm31Dz1WAAE6rTX.jpg

The aforementioned 2-0 win at Broadwood was indeed pleasing. IIRC they hammered us 3-0 at Broadwood in the Scottish cup only a few weeks before before it which made it sweeter. 

Only made it to Raydale once, the penultimate weekend of the same season where a victory for them would've clinched the title. We managed to hold them to a 0-0 which at least prevented them clinching it against us. 

My first memory of them after the money pumping started was the season they won division 3 and were something like 6-0 up at half time away to Cowdenbeath. 

Would echo whoever mentioned earlier about their squad being full of utter cretins. 

20 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I was going to add in I wonder what he's doing now, your cleared that up for me.

Pretty sure he lectures at local college and does education programme for queens under 20s. Seen him at arena last year doing disability football sessions with them and they are at my kids school this year.  

18 hours ago, mizfit said:

I remember speaking to some Queens fans when I was down at Palmerston 2 seasons later, I didn’t realise that Gretna had been swamping the schools with tickets for the game until then.

Disgusting attitude.

A dick move to be sure, but why weren't Queens doing it anyway? Or were they?

17 minutes ago, gingerbreadman said:

Pretty sure he lectures at local college and does education programme for queens under 20s. Seen him at arena last year doing disability football sessions with them and they are at my kids school this year.  

Yeah, he does that too. He's a good guy I believe. I try not to hold that comment against him.............. much.

4 hours ago, C. Muir said:

My first memory of them after the money pumping started was the season they won division 3 and were something like 6-0 up at half time away to Cowdenbeath. 

13 years ago and I still get nightmares.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/3984433.stm

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, he does that too. He's a good guy I believe. I try not to hold that comment against him.............. much.

He seemed alright in the bit about the community football and litter tidy with the young guys, which was probably the only commendable thing Gretna done in the whole programme,  then blotted his copybook with the Queens comment at the end.

Must've had an extra bottle of Lucozade that morning.

Did Brooks Mileson not have a short-lived (take that however way you wish) column in the Daily Record at one point? I seem to recall it was a "Day in the Life" thing focused primarily on the 80+ cigarettes and numberless bottles of Lucozade he went through on a daily basis. I also remember him being weirdly proud that it was all he ever consumed for sustenance. Someone please tell me that I haven't just imagined this

23 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

Did Brooks Mileson not have a short-lived (take that however way you wish) column in the Daily Record at one point? I seem to recall it was a "Day in the Life" thing focused primarily on the 80+ cigarettes and numberless bottles of Lucozade he went through on a daily basis. I also remember him being weirdly proud that it was all he ever consumed for sustenance. Someone please tell me that I haven't just imagined this

Think it was The Sun after the smoking ban came in?

Tried googling it but nothing much came up apart from someone referencing it on some defunct forum, claiming it said he had "117 Fags & 7 Lucozades" one day!