ICTFC v Crusaders

Stephen Malkmus

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to think of any Northern Irish players we've had - Curtis Allen, now at Glentoran, was with us but didn't break into the first team, Johnny Tuffey was our reserve keeper but couldn't break through.  Billy Mckay and Danny Devine have both been in their international squad I think.  We also had a striker on trial from a Northern Irish team a while back but I can't remember his name.

What are Crusaders like, any good?  Is this game going to be on Alba?

It seems certain that it will be televised on ALBA, with the TNS game on that Welsh channel equivalent. Likely to be the same ko times as last weekend too possibly? 

On 11/14/2017 at 15:39, ICTChris said:
Trying to think of any Northern Irish players we've had - Curtis Allen, now at Glentoran, was with us but didn't break into the first team, Johnny Tuffey was our reserve keeper but couldn't break through.  Billy Mckay and Danny Devine have both been in their international squad I think.  We also had a striker on trial from a Northern Irish team a while back but I can't remember his name.

Danny Devine was capped for Northern Ireland at some of the younger age levels before switching his allegiance to the Republic.  Darren Murray (then of Portadown) was the player we had on trial, though as I recall he wasn't that good.  As mentioned, Tuffey never really broke into the team while Curtis Allen never even appeared in the matchday squad.  I did see him play in a reserve game for us once - he was awfully tubby and not very good.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What are Crusaders like, any good?  

This team are no mugs with a decent history, according to stats they play in an all seater stadium on a synthetic pitch, they beat Cove Rangers, Motherwell and Dundee United to get to the semi's.

They have been active in European competitions since 1967 and in more recent times since 2009 up to this season they have played every year in either the Champions or Europa Leagues, so  even semi pro they will be tough opponents, the only thing in our favour is that they have to travel to us but considering their European foray's that might not be a big deal to them. 

9 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

Very physical style of football pre-war apparently, opposing teams coining the nickname. We're not like that now though!   :angel

You were still very physical in the 70s and 80s if I remember correctly...

I was absolutely desperate to get this tie, but in Belfast but oh well.  At least we're playing someone different albeit at home.  As mentioned, playing an U20s at home, a Highland League side and a Dundee United team filled with kids is hardly a difficult run but I'm sure we'll be under no illusions.  We should win but you never know.

Just out of interest will there be much in an away support?  It's pretty easy to get to (direct flights to Inverness from Belfast City) and I'd imagine some Crusaders fans will want to make a weekend of it.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I was absolutely desperate to get this tie, but in Belfast but oh well.  At least we're playing someone different albeit at home.  As mentioned, playing an U20s at home, a Highland League side and a Dundee United team filled with kids is hardly a difficult run but I'm sure we'll be under no illusions.  We should win but you never know.

Just out of interest will there be much in an away support?  It's pretty easy to get to (direct flights to Inverness from Belfast City) and I'd imagine some Crusaders fans will want to make a weekend of it.

They might not be quitter so keen after last weekend..............

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/10/plane-crashes-at-belfast-airport-after-emergency-landing-flybe-inverness

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:39, ICTChris said:

We played and beat them twice last season when we were in League1, then we got gubbed by TNS. TNS looked a lot better than Crusaders but it was still quite tough playing against them. ICT should win this I reckon.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You were still very physical in the 70s and 80s if I remember correctly...

Maybe you remember the late Walker McFarland? 

You seen Walter going into a tackle  on a flying winger and you knew he was putting him into the fence.

Or row X.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seemingly date SPFL picked for Challenge Cup SFs is same as that of Irish League Cup Final: certainly was last season.

Crusaders are in Irish League Cup SF, but isn't due until later this month.

You appear to be correct looking around the internet, they semi-finals are this Tuesday night.

Archived