TNS v Dumbarton

aftershocker

I think the introduction of the better Welsh, N Irish and Irish teams to this Cup has been a great thing.  

I hear a lot of folk sneering how pointless it all is, but if my team were very unlikely to ever get to the Premiership, or win a major Cup, I'd love the opportunity to play a competitive fixture away in one of these places.  I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, cos it certainly isn't meant to be...  And I say it knowing full well there's a chance we could well be in this competition next season!! :unsure2:

Sounds like you're taking a really good crowd South as well. Just shows what a fixture outwith the norm does to entice more folk along.

The Colts introduction to this tournament has been a dreadful idea, and the sooner it is binned the better.  But credit where it's due, these 'foreign' sides have been a positive, and hopefully helps bring a bit more publicity to lower league football.

All the best, hope you pump them.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think the introduction of the better Welsh, N Irish and Irish teams to this Cup has been a great thing.  

I hear a lot of folk sneering how pointless it all is, but if my team were very unlikely to ever get to the Premiership, or win a major Cup, I'd love the opportunity to play a competitive fixture away in one of these places.  I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, cos it certainly isn't meant to be...  And I say it knowing full well there's a chance we could well be in this competition next season!! :unsure2:

Sounds like you're taking a really good crowd South as well. Just shows what a fixture outwith the norm does to entice more folk along.

The Colts introduction to this tournament has been a dreadful idea, and the sooner it is binned the better.  But credit where it's due, these 'foreign' sides have been a positive, and hopefully helps bring a bit more publicity to lower league football.

All the best, hope you pump them.

I think we're taking a good crowd down because of the novelty and it's the semi-final of a competition we usually last 2 minutes in, but I'm not sure I agree that the inclusion of Welsh and Irish teams is an outright success. These teams barely have any fans, so when you're drawn at home attendances are poor.  In our case we had Connah's Quay Nomads bring about 3 men and a dog in a match which pulled in 491 punters. We also then had to watch them completely shitfest the game for 90 minutes trying to hold onto a 0-1 lead they had since the 26th minute penalty they converted.  It was easily one of the worst games I've ever witnessed, only made enjoyable by us scoring a late equaliser to take it to ET and then bagging the winner in the last minute of ET, for CQN to then miss their train home.

The away trips are great though and it seems most Scottish sides have taken good crowds too, I can't help but think this tournament is more profitable for the foreign sides than it is for any Scottish side drawing them.

As a side note, if we beat TNS here and meet Crusaders in the final, we could potentially win this competition by beating only 2 lower league Scottish teams out of 6 ties played. For a competition that was created and designed for lower league Scottish teams, I can't help but think we're losing sight of that a wee bit.

58 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It looks like the gourmet burger has been reinstated and the Welsh lamb stew has been ditched.

Was quite enjoying all the burger v lamb stew drama, I must admit.

#burgergate #teamlambstew

We can only hope the TNS defence is a weak as their board, folded at the first sign of pressure there.  

12 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Personally think the whole competition is a waste of time.Wouldn,t be a surprise if most clubs actually make a loss in this cup

Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

32 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Personally think the whole competition is a waste of time.Wouldn,t be a surprise if most clubs actually make a loss in this cup

As Moonster said earlier it has been spoiled  from its original concept. While wishing the Sons all the best in the Semi it is quite possible that the final could involve two clubs outwith this country. As a cup for league 1/2 clubs in the main that would not be reaching cup finals, while it did not get everyone's pulses racing it served its purpose. The thing that really made folk lose interest was the inclusion of the colt teams more so when it came to pass as a lot of folk thought it was just a pre-cursor to making a move for some taking up league places. 

Aitken was watching TNS beat Bangor City 3-0 last night. Their manager thinks if they play like that Dumbarton will need to be at their best if theyve any chance. I doubt it; TNS were strong against Livi and QOS in the first half but were outplayed in both second halves and were lucky to get thru on penalties. I think Dumbarton will see them off if they play tight for an hour then go for it.

Aitken was watching TNS beat Bangor City 3-0 last night. Their manager thinks if they play like that Dumbarton will need to be at their best if theyve any chance. I doubt it; TNS were strong against Livi and QOS in the first half but were outplayed in both second halves and were lucky to get thru on penalties. I think Dumbarton will see them off if they play tight for an hour then go for it.
You obviously haven't seen us play lately. We can't buy a goal, we cant even seem to create many chances, we ship at least 2 a game and we are playing with a severe lack of confidence.

4-0 sons

Theyre a good footballing side and can score goals, but aren't a physical side and tend to fade when teams start to get in about them.  They beat Elgin 4-0 but the score flattered them a bit, and Elgin more or less took to the pitch almost straight from the bus.  They'd struggle in our Championship IMO, so Dumbarton have nothing to be scared off.  They only managed a  2-2 draw against the Conah's Quay mob.

Leaving aside the politics and the format just embrace it guys. The novelty aspect is a huge draw and a refreshing change from the drudgery of our league. We took almost 600 and had a blast. TNS are a Welsh version of Gretna minus the support of the locals.  Naebody likes them doon there. To be fair they are nae diddies but as the  Rovers guy says they do tend to fade late on. Both Queens and Livi were unlucky to be eliminated. You will need to perform well to make the final. Was very tempted  to revisit but ma wee team has a fixture that requires ma support. I'm sure you will have a great big party and GIRFUT.

5 hours ago, Big Berk said:

What is Dumbarton's injury list/suspensions for this game?  Are you still short of defenders?

Mark Stewart (forward) has been out but the killer has been both our young full backs missing through injury,  Sam Wardrop & Chris McLaughlin.

We've signed Aidan Wilson on an emergency loan from Rangers, the other day.

What is Dumbarton's injury list/suspensions for this game?  Are you still short of defenders?

We’ll be without our two first choice full-backs, our backup centre-half and our joint top scorer. Add the cup tied trio of Aidan Wilson, Liam Dick and Kevin Nisbet into that and aye, it’s bare bones stuff.

We’ll be without our two first choice full-backs, our backup centre-half and our joint top scorer. Add the cup tied trio of Aidan Wilson, Liam Dick and Kevin Nisbet into that and aye, it’s bare bones stuff.

Is Andy Stirling not cup tied as well?

I actually thought Nisbet would be available for this. We'll be lucky to have more than about 2 players on the bench.

Archived