Favourite Building in your home town/city

On 27/07/2019 at 14:35, jagtastic said:

Quite an interest in brutalist and modernism styles and I think the former BOAC office building on Buchanan Street is a cracking wee example in the context of where it sits within its surroundings. Love the copper cladding.

BBA92D0E-FC25-433D-AF2D-BEB83B0A7BDD-1378-000000D1C363D7B9.jpg

What pisses me off about the BOAC building is that the interiors that they put in were largely looked after even after they closed down. I think it was Clydesdale Bank that were in there for years afterwards and they looked after it. 

The interior was never going to work for a shop, but the ceiling was a classic design of its time and the morons at All Saints ripped it all out when they took over the unit.

3607832330_9752ee1f69_z.jpg

3607013787_441bfda2f7_z.jpg

28 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

What a stunning looking building.  Luckily Glasgow City Council's fire raising department didn't get a hold of it before the refurb.

How many of these wonderful old buildings were flattened?  Really sad.

It's already been suggested but aye - a "Lost Buildings" thread would be a good, albeit depressing, idea. For the West coast there's plenty of good stuff on Lost Glasgow, Hidden Glasgow etc. And SSC has stuff on Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'd like to see some of the Dundee stuff. I bet it had a lot of good buildings that were lost in the 20th Century.

10 minutes ago, milton75 said:

It's already been suggested but aye - a "Lost Buildings" thread would be a good, albeit depressing, idea. For the West coast there's plenty of good stuff on Lost Glasgow, Hidden Glasgow etc. And SSC has stuff on Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'd like to see some of the Dundee stuff. I bet it had a lot of good buildings that were lost in the 20th Century.

Lost buildings - Renfrew Airport. I mean, just look at it, a work of art.

B0417D94-0577-4A11-9290-8BF9A3EBC3AA.jpeg

24525DE7-132E-4D0C-8446-1D3E3EAFB052.jpeg

39 minutes ago, milton75 said:

@74frankfurt on Twitter is decent for old photos.

Looking through some of these lovely contributions reminds me that: 

1. While Perth (my home town) is a nice place, we are struggling for proper block busters building wise. Couple of nice churches, St Johns and St Leonards, and the new Horsecross and Concert Hall aren't for everyone but a bit interesting at least.  There's a couple of disused and semi-derelict old buildings that could be great assets for the city but the less said about that the better. 

2. How many less well thought-of places (in Perth anyway) have some absolute belters, Paisley and Kilmarnock specifically from looking through the thread

I'd like to add to the love for the Dick Institute i Kilmarnock. I actually spent a year working there (as a YTS) while re-sitting my Maths Higher to get the grade required for York Uni. I had to transfer thousands of Magic Lantern slides to 35mm, process them as transparencies, then place them in modern mounts. As it was a YTS post, material wastage ws expected to be sky high. As I'd been doing my own developing and processing since I was ten, material wastage was less than zero - I knew how far you could "stretch" the chemicals. Never paid a penny for film or chemicals for a couple of years after that stint - caned the account at Hector McDonalds while I could.

Other highlights of my time there were shagging two of the Saturday girls from the Library, getting to read any new books I fancied before the public got hold of them, and unfettered access to the museum storerooms.

See the smell of the varnished floors when the sun battered through the dome? Proust can keep his Madeleines - that's the most evocative smell I know of.

136543_8a2de359.jpg.4e461116a1dccb1faa910d9f2394e75e.jpg

This is more or less the colour it was in my time. Happy days.

136543_8a2de359.jpg

Glasgow has lots of stunning buildings, particularly in the City Centre, that for most of my years I never noticed as I didn't look up.

My career took me into an area that involved looking at architecture, and luckily it helped me realise how many amazing buildings were around me.

I really like the Stock Exchange Court in Nelson Mandela Place:

130503812.jpg

There's a ton of buildings around the back of the City Chambers that are really nice, but never really get noticed much.

• 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, FoxWaves said:

It's fascinating to think that some of these gorgeous buildings were constructed long before the kinds of technology and materials we have available today. Still, whether you're renovating a classic structure or starting from scratch, the quality of your building materials is crucial.

We've got that covered fannybaws!

I do like the Merchandise Mart in Chicago simply for it's absolute behemothicity, if that's a word. Coming north over the bridge on the train it doesn't so much loom at you as it does simply become the entire landscape for a couple of minutes

Merchandise Mart - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it's certainly not my favourite, but I do kind of admire the Metropolitan Correctional Center for looking just straight up evil. It's right across the street from the Department of Immigration building, which certainly sharpens the mind not to tell any porkies in a green card interview. 

Metropolitan Correctional Center, Chicago (federal prison in the downtown  of Chicago) : r/evilbuildings

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Wonderful depiction of someone drinking a yard of ale. 

Given “The Flying Saucer” used to be right across the street…and now the “Flying Saucer Draught Emporium” is just around the corner…it’s a shame they stopped selling those puppies.

The model:

This-Dorset-girl-drinking-Yard-of-Ale

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I do like the Merchandise Mart in Chicago simply for it's absolute behemothicity, if that's a word. Coming north over the bridge on the train it doesn't so much loom at you as it does simply become the entire landscape for a couple of minutes

Merchandise Mart - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it's certainly not my favourite, but I do kind of admire the Metropolitan Correctional Center for looking just straight up evil. It's right across the street from the Department of Immigration building, which certainly sharpens the mind not to tell any porkies in a green card interview. 

Metropolitan Correctional Center, Chicago (federal prison in the downtown  of Chicago) : r/evilbuildings

Always found these types of metropolitan block buildings in the states quite interesting, like the AT&T long lines building in Manhattan or numerous metro jails in cities. You’d walk straight past without a second thought unless you catch a glimpse from further away and wonder why there’s a block of flats or an office with no or very few windows.