The Sons vs The Black and Whites

The Moonster

The cup draws have been fairly kind to us this year, another home one on the cards here.  I expect Elgin to make this very difficult for us but we really should be winning. The "game which shall not be named" should give Aitken and his team a big enough incentive to ensure we're not put through that again and I hope for a professional job here.  Nobody deserves dropped from the team that beat Raith on Saturday but it would be nice if we could start easing back in some of our injured players (Handling, I'm looking at you).  Be great if we can keep up this form and we have the situation where players like Handling and Froxylias need to fight for their place back again, a nice situation to have.

Many Elgin fans making the trip down? How has your season been so far?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see Danny Handling playing football irl in this. He was doing some really convincing running in the warmup on Saturday , and it'd be nice if we could even give him 20 minutes at the end.

Naturally us playing Elgin means I have to mention the last time they visited the Rock.

elgin-10-05_09.jpg

elgin-28-05_09.jpg

Right up there with my best memories from the Rock. God I loved that team. I remember going into school on the Monday desperate to show everyone the SonsTV highlights, and my teacher letting me put it on the interactive whiteboard for the whole class to watch. I don't think I've ever been so proud :lol:

Given that I'd like to see us go with something like this:

David McEwan

Gordon Lennon Ben Gordon Mick Dunlop Paddy Boyle

Stevie Murray Ross Clark Ryan McStay Ross Forbes

Derek Carcary Denis McLaughlin

Aye. That was from memory.

Would like to see us play a fringe team here and tbh I think it would probably help our chances of winning to have hungry players out to prove a point. Something like:-

S Gal

Smith, Dowie, Hill, Boomer

Hutton, Wilson

C Gal, Johnson*, Roy

Morrison

*No chance of this happening

If Handling is able to play I imagine he’ll be on the bench, same for Nade and Froxylias.

I wouldn’t put Carswell anywhere near this. IMO he is easily our most important player. The 2 games he been back he’s given our defence so much more protection and the midfield more energy. He can nibble away at the opposition unlike any of our other midfielders.

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Would like to see us play a fringe team here and tbh I think it would probably help our chances of winning to have hungry players out to prove a point. Something like:-

S Gal

Smith, Dowie, Hill, Boomer

Hutton, Wilson

C Gal, Johnson*, Roy

Morrison

*No chance of this happening

If Handling is able to play I imagine he’ll be on the bench, same for Nade and Froxylias.

I wouldn’t put Carswell anywhere near this. IMO he is easily our most important player. The 2 games he been back he’s given our defence so much more protection and the midfield more energy. He can nibble away at the opposition unlike any of our other midfielders.

Strongly disagree with this. The Scottish Cup represents a chance for the club to bring in some serious money, which hopefully would go some way to making up for the undoubted shortfall in revenue from lower attendances and season ticket sales. It might even allow the manager a little more wriggle room when it comes to tweaking the squad in the January transfer window. I'd be treating Elgin with the utmost respect and fielding our strongest available team.

17 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

According to Elgin City website the Supporters Bus has been cancelled due to lack of interest :(

It was £25 a head (inc Entry to match)

Can see everyone being lumped in the home end this weekend then. Hopefully some of the new Sons fans who enjoyed themselves on Saturday will return though, good prices.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Before any other Elginers eagerly throw themselves into a net that I didn't even know that I had in the water, I was actually ripping the piss out of ourselves.  I've lost count of the amount of games we've not run buses to over the last couple of seasons.  

#irony

I did realise this..  I was celebrating our joint diddiness!

#proudtobeadiddy

Update now up on the OS about Handling and Grant Gallagher. Aitken saying he expects them back earlier than first thought, which is great news. Handling is back in training and it's just about fitness now by the looks of it - expect him to get some game time over the next few weeks if not tomorrow. Great that Grant Gall is doing well too, it would be great to see him make a comeback before the end of the season as I still think he has a lot to offer us.

What do we reckon tomorrow then team wise? If Boomer is out I expect Hill to play left back, aside from that I'd keep it the same.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Update now up on the OS about Handling and Grant Gallagher. Aitken saying he expects them back earlier than first thought, which is great news. Handling is back in training and it's just about fitness now by the looks of it - expect him to get some game time over the next few weeks if not tomorrow. Great that Grant Gall is doing well too, it would be great to see him make a comeback before the end of the season as I still think he has a lot to offer us.

That is encouraging. Everyone knows I'm not Grant Gal's biggest fan, but he's versatile and hardworking - and that's something that won't go amiss in a team like us. I'm excited to see Handling play again too, he could be a massive player for us in the second part of the season.

I wonder if letting them go out on a month long emergency loan when they are nearing fitness might be a good idea. I remember Jamie Langfield joining Forfar for a few games after his serious brain trouble, and with no reserve/U20s league it would be a better way to ease them into action than taking a risk in a vital Championship game. Three or four games at Stranraer (Faz and Chris Aitken), Albion Rovers (where we like to send players) or Stirling Albion (Frazer Wright) for example could do them a world of good.

If Elgin fancy rolling over tomorrow afternoon, then I'm sure we could come to some sort of deal too ;)

13 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That is encouraging. Everyone knows I'm not Grant Gal's biggest fan, but he's versatile and hardworking - and that's something that won't go amiss in a team like us. I'm excited to see Handling play again too, he could be a massive player for us in the second part of the season.

I wonder if letting them go out on a month long emergency loan when they are nearing fitness might be a good idea. I remember Jamie Langfield joining Forfar for a few games after his serious brain trouble, and with no reserve/U20s league it would be a better way to ease them into action than taking a risk in a vital Championship game. Three or four games at Stranraer (Faz and Chris Aitken), Albion Rovers (where we like to send players) or Stirling Albion (Frazer Wright) for example could do them a world of good.

If Elgin fancy rolling over tomorrow afternoon, then I'm sure we could come to some sort of deal too ;)

The way Stevie is talking on the OS, saying things like "we need to manage their workload", I'm not sure he's of that mindset. I don't disagree with the logic though.

Archived