Jump to content
WeAreElgin

Cowdenbeath vs Elgin

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Auld Git said:

Hope Lewis Strapp is ok looked a bad one

Think he was alright in the end apparently blood coming out of his nose at the time but not as bad as 1st feared from what I heard. Seen him going about after the match with the other Elgin players probably won't have done his looks much good but looked ok apart from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't deserve to get anything from the game but that has to be one of the most inept refereeing performances I have ever seen. Too many bad decisions to even try and remember.

On the sending offs, I believe Ross sent Mullen off last season for swearing, again allegedly at him. Seems to be a personal vandetta by Ross against him. Having said that, Fraser needs to learn not to give him the excuse he is looking for.

for syme, he won the ball so again a total farce of a red card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on today is...

Elgin played some nice stuff at times. As always impressed by no 8. A few times they tore us to bits and McGurn kept the score flattering. Two point blank saves in particular.


The ref got the pen right but very little else and almost lost control of the game. It didnt change the result but it did lead to a simmering game of football and yellows everywhere.


It was defo a pen. As much as I want Pyper back in the team he looked a yard or two off the pace after not playing for several weeks. Hopefully today helps him get up to match fitness.

I would not have complained if Garden got a red and was glad to hear the Elgin player is OK. It sounded horrible in real time and I thought it was a reckless challenge.

Cowden seem to lack discipline. Dissent is a criminal yellow and there is at least one every week. Its indefensible as a straight red. Remember you represent Cowdenbeath FC. Kicking things and swearing as loud as you can down the tunnel isn't worthy. I know plenty comes from the fans but that is not the point.

I made a friendly bet today that Morris will never score for Cowdenbeath.

Muirhead finished his goal well.

Swann showed again that he can be a great player. Buchanan showed again that he wont.

Much more fight today from Cowden in the main and created more goal threat than recently without really gettong too much of a proper shot on goal.

Forward line is generally isolated and needs support from midfield.

Elgin have some good players and well done to them. Second goal was a well worked move and the third was a great finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvey Swann made a difference when he came on. Then when Cammy came on, he had a good game as well. It was too little too late though. The game was lost when Ovenstone named a midfield of Mullen, Miller, Buchanan and Smith. For me, Brad Smith is the best footballer we have at the club but he needs help. He is the sort of player who can make things happen but no one around him is on the same level. He is looking to move forward but always ends up having to check back then pass backwards and the move dies.

We say it every week but Buchanan is f*cking sh*te. He's the most frustrating player to watch - he gets the ball, jinks one way, jinks the other way then falls over he own feet or just loses the ball. He tries to do everything himself but isn't good enough. What do managers see in him which the rest of us clearly don't?

Davie Syme clearly cares but he needs to be reined in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Gavin Ross an Elgin fan? He had what can only be described as a biased performance in an Elgin v Clyde match last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a horrible late challenge on Strapp, I don't think it was deliberate, but it was so careless I think it was worth a red card. I heard the shout of 'f**k off' or something similar for the straight red card, it did seem a bit out of nowhere. The second red went to the player who got booked in the first half for complaining after winning a free kick! What was that about?

Really Elgin should have been out of sight in this game but they really struggled after the 2 red cards, the Cowden players at that point realised  they had nothing to lose and went for it. It was just a relief in the end to hear the final whistle. Typical League 2 stuff I suppose.

Also a bit odd finding 'Townies' in with the Elgin fans today!

Edited by skinny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skinny said:

It was a horrible late challenge on Strapp, I don't think it was deliberate, but it was so careless I think it was worth a red card. I heard the shout of 'f**k off' or something similar for the straight red card, it did seem a bit out of nowhere. The second red went to the player who got booked in the first half for complaining after winning a free kick! What was that about?

Really Elgin should have been out of sight in this game but they really struggled after the 2 red cards, the Cowden players at that point realised  they had nothing to lose and went for it. It was just a relief in the end to hear the final whistle. Typical League 2 stuff I suppose.

Also a bit odd finding 'Townies' in with the Elgin fans today!

Wasn't it just a collision? I was right in line on the terracing ( as would some of the Elgin fans in the old stand )and that's what it looked like to me. If the ref saw it as deliberate it should been a straight red, but not a yellow. As you say, the first of a catalogue of errors. The first booking for Syme, for being fouled was outrageous.

I've never believed that some refs were biased, just poor, but yesterday's performance was beyond belief. If ever a game needed "highlights" it was yesterday's. First time I've heard so many fans shouting at the team to walk off (which wouldn't have been a good idea)

Not that another ref would have changed the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I've never believed that some refs were biased, just poor, but yesterday's performance was beyond belief. If ever a game needed "highlights" it was yesterday's. First time I've heard so many fans shouting at the team to walk off (which wouldn't have been a good idea)

Gavin Ross is the worst referee we've had - we've never won a game when he has been in charge.

He was the referee that gave Montrose the penalty in the last minute at Links Park last season then gave Edinburgh a penalty and sent Fraser Mullen off in the 2-1 defeat at Central Park.

The season before, he sent off Declan Hughes against Stranraer and gave them a last minute penalty. He then sent Dean Brett off the following month against Brechin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the game yesterday, on behalf of The Sunday Mail. I felt Elgin were very good: I was impressed with Thomas Reilly, Brian Cameron and Bruce Anderson in particular although I wouldn't say they had a notably bad performer. 

Cowdenbeath on the other hand didn't look over disjointed but they clearly lacked confidence and the early goal knocked them. 

The sending off of Mullen enraged Ovenstone (interview released tomorrow) but I don't think that would have changed anything tbh as Elgin were comfortable. 

Credit to Cowden for continuing to push and finally getting a goal through Muirhead. McGurn was the best Blue Brazilian on the park and it could have been a heavier scoreline without him between the sticks. 

You can read my full match report, here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/12/elgin-ease-to-victory-as-cowden-remain-rooted-to-the-bottom-of-league-two/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

I was at the game yesterday, on behalf of The Sunday Mail. I felt Elgin were very good: I was impressed with Thomas Reilly, Brian Cameron and Bruce Anderson in particular although I wouldn't say they had a notably bad performer. 

Cowdenbeath on the other hand didn't look over disjointed but they clearly lacked confidence and the early goal knocked them. 

The sending off of Mullen enraged Ovenstone (interview released tomorrow) but I don't think that would have changed anything tbh as Elgin were comfortable. 

Credit to Cowden for continuing to push and finally getting a goal through Muirhead. McGurn was the best Blue Brazilian on the park and it could have been a heavier scoreline without him between the sticks. 

You can read my full match report, here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/12/elgin-ease-to-victory-as-cowden-remain-rooted-to-the-bottom-of-league-two/

A good general report but I would be extremely interested to have your thoughts also on the Referee's performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

A good general report but I would be extremely interested to have your thoughts also on the Referee's performance.

Don't know Jordan's thoughts but John Ovenstone really let rip when he was talking to the press guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

I was at the game yesterday, on behalf of The Sunday Mail. I felt Elgin were very good: I was impressed with Thomas Reilly, Brian Cameron and Bruce Anderson in particular although I wouldn't say they had a notably bad performer. 

Cowdenbeath on the other hand didn't look over disjointed but they clearly lacked confidence and the early goal knocked them. 

The sending off of Mullen enraged Ovenstone (interview released tomorrow) but I don't think that would have changed anything tbh as Elgin were comfortable. 

Credit to Cowden for continuing to push and finally getting a goal through Muirhead. McGurn was the best Blue Brazilian on the park and it could have been a heavier scoreline without him between the sticks. 

You can read my full match report, here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/12/elgin-ease-to-victory-as-cowden-remain-rooted-to-the-bottom-of-league-two/

I'm like you Jordan would have McGurn as our MOM pulled off some really good saves.  Only positive from the game was young Muirhead getting a goal will hopefully boost his confidence a little, he finished it well in a lot of situations like that strikers "panic" and fluff the effort but Cammy kept his composure and slotted home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

A good general report but I would be extremely interested to have your thoughts also on the Referee's performance.

 

13 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Don't know Jordan's thoughts but John Ovenstone really let rip when he was talking to the press guys!

 

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I'm like you Jordan would have McGurn as our MOM pulled off some really good saves.  Only positive from the game was young Muirhead getting a goal will hopefully boost his confidence a little, he finished it well in a lot of situations like that strikers "panic" and fluff the effort but Cammy kept his composure and slotted home.

I agree; it was a good goal by Muirhead. To have the awareness to close down the defender, win the ball then stay composed when 1v1 with the keeper and to dink it past him into the net showed signs of general quality in a good young player. 

That was only my second time seeing Cowden this season but I was surprised Muirhead didn't start - has he been poor recently?

Re Ovenstone, he certainly did let it rip to the media and to myself too who done an individual interview with him which I'll release tomorrow. 

The first red card wss innocuous in terms of what actually happened and us guys in the press box could only assume at the time it was for something said to the referee or an opposing player. With JO's assessment of what happened after the game and assuming it is 100% accurate (I have no reason to believe it isn't BTW) then I agree with him that it was a harsh sending off. 

I felt the Syme sending off was correct as a second booking and I couldn't really see the penalty incident that well from my angle so hard to comment. 

Overall, I felt the referee was as average as the next one. I wouldn't say he was atrocious but I wouldn't say he was flawless either. I would have said 5/10 if pushed for a rating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, David W said:

Is Gavin Ross an Elgin fan? He had what can only be described as a biased performance in an Elgin v Clyde match last season.

the brother of local moray mp and match official douglas ross ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elginite said:

the brother of local moray mp and match official douglas ross ;)

Some  Gavin Ross Stats from SoccerBase:

2015/16                  25 Games                     106 Yellow   9 Red        of which Cowden 3 Games  15 yellow   2 Red

2016/17                 27 Games                     158 Yellow    13 Red     of which Cowden  3 Games  27 yellow   4 Red

2017/18                 11 Games                     44 Yellow       5 Red        of which Cowden   2 Games  11 yellow  2 Red

So 53 yellows and 8 reds  in  3 seasons !!  He also seems to love flashing the cards at Peterhead matches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, elginite said:

the brother of local moray mp and match official douglas ross ;)

Nice wind up. Doug's nae allowed to officiate Elgin games, but his 'brother' can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Some  Gavin Ross Stats from SoccerBase:

2015/16                  25 Games                     106 Yellow   9 Red        of which Cowden 3 Games  15 yellow   2 Red

2016/17                 27 Games                     158 Yellow    13 Red     of which Cowden  3 Games  27 yellow   4 Red

2017/18                 11 Games                     44 Yellow       5 Red        of which Cowden   2 Games  11 yellow  2 Red

So 53 yellows and 8 reds  in  3 seasons !!  He also seems to love flashing the cards at Peterhead matches

I wonder what the view would be of the referee supervisor ?

does this represent a good referee set of stats and does this make Gavin Ross a better ref  in the eyes of the SFA than a ref who issues a fraction of these cards per season.

we will never know however !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game apart from first 7 minutes or whatever was a shambles from the point of view of our "tactics" set up and general play some boys should be ashamed to even pick up their £100 or whatever it is.

The referee was shocking yes but we gave him the opportunities to yellow card us or red card us. The penalty was a needless challenge and poor defending end of.

Rutherford first half was good (for a change) 2nd half reverted back to old ways. Our only player who talks players through a game is rumsby.

Morris and garden woaft - general play was shocking and in Morris we have someone who cannot do the basics of football right. Takes up good positions in the penalty box but he is not good enough nowhere near it. Connelly and muirhead up top would 100% give us more than those 2 as a pairing. Are they both the saviours NO but they would give us more fact!

As for Mullen - his discipline is shocking. He gives away needless free kicks for MONTHS - sendings off/poor decision making and poor discipline in terms of his actual football. General looks the kind of player who Id hate to play in a team with. Dont care if the ref overreacted - mullen shouldnt play for us again.If I was manager id punt him out the team and try move him on.

Elgin looked really good but I dont know whether its because we are that bad. Their pressing and general play was really good and they have 2-3 excellent football players whom we could only wish we had in our side.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×