Christmas Food & Drink

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

A 3-in-1-burd. And something similar for dinner.

I married into an Ooter Heebrides family in 89 and the first year was a shock to the system - multiple plates of soup to keep you going, 6 different  stuffings, multiple desserts, Noel Edmonds (c**t) on the telly.  

After 20 years (or so), my gut became accustomed and, over the last few years, they've all felt a bit... lightweight.  Can someone suggest something that a real trencherman could take in his stride while still fucking over these pretenders?

BTW the father-in-law is still going strong and, at 86, gives me a run for my money.  Anything I could do to bring my inheritance that wee bit closer while still adopting that festive spirit?

Take some nice cold meats from Barr the Butcher in Wishaw. Top it of with some Dunsyre Blue cheese.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Irn bru for breakfast with cooked breakfast.
Irn bru to keep me going and some sweets .
Irn bru for tea /dinner and joint of beef with whatever else gets made.
A final irn bru to bring in the evening.

That will do

I always cook Christmas dinner and I always end up with Irn Bru as my drink since once I've served it up I don't want to waste time pouring a wine or beer. Since I've usually got a Bru already poured, I end up finishing it with dinner. Id never pour it away tbh. As for food, I've only had turkey once this century. I tend to go for fillet steak, roast beef or duck but I saw pheasant mentioned earlier and that's got me thinking I might have that this year. I like to change the starter every year too but not really thought about this year but a cheeseboard is a constant every year. Some Brie, Stilton and Camembert plus another just to mix it up a bit. Even with drink, I try to have something that I don't drink during the rest of the year just to make it a wee bit different.

• 2 years later...

Love a Christmas dinner. I get that turkey can be bland but combined with stuffing and cranberry sauce, it’s superb- especially if you have a knack of ensuring it’s not overcooked/dry. I’ll combine that with a roast beef and horseradish sauce (another superb combo), braised red cabbage, roasties and fresh veg.  We repeat the process the next day- a real family favourite. Worth going to the effort. Sack going out to a restaurant- Christmas Day is a relaxed affair where you can eat what you want and when you want- not a day for keeping to a schedule, and in the true spirit of the day, it’s about avoiding the general public.

Love the prep, the cooking, the eating and even the washing up (dishwasher on strongest mode- it’s the one day of the year I don’t rinse the plates- wow do I spoil myself). Then it’s time to sit on my arse watching the kids enjoy their new toys. 

Absolutely love it.