North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Don't right off Orkney. Again unlikely, but Orkney still have to play Bunillidh twice, plus Golspie who they play (on 16th March), and would also have to defeat. If they win all 5 remaining games they would finish on 36 points. If Golspie lose to Orkney, but win their other game, they would also have 36 points. So a play-off would be required.  Interesting.

Before today, Orkney had failed to win half their 14 games in all comps this season so it's not really likely.

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Before today, Orkney had failed to win half their 14 games in all comps this season so it's not really likely.

I agree with you that they are outsiders.  Current leaders Invergordon have finished their league programme, whereas Orkney still have to play 5 games.

13 hours ago, Robert James said:

North Caledonian League    current standings

Invergordon**    16    34          Golspie Sutherland**        14    33        Alness Utd*      14    23        Inverness Athletic    13    22        Orkney**    11    21       

St Duthus     16    21        Thurso**    15    14        Halkirk Utd**    15    11        Bunillidh Thistle*    14    3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tonight's league table suggests that Golspie Sutherland will be champions this season. However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if Orkney win all their remaining games. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2019 at 22:43, cmontheloknow said:

You were correct  as Orkney FC finished 3rd behind Golspie (new champions) and Invergordon.

Looking ahead, will there be any new NCL clubs in 2019/20 ?  Perhaps Fort William might opt for demotion to the NCL, which is something the club considered last year ?

11 hours ago, Robert James said:

You were correct  as Orkney FC finished 3rd behind Golspie (new champions) and Invergordon.

Looking ahead, will there be any new NCL clubs in 2019/20 ?  Perhaps Fort William might opt for demotion to the NCL, which is something the club considered last year ?

They're quite high profile on facebook just now publicising their new signings and re-signings so expect more of the same from them in 19-20!

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2019 at 20:34, Marten said:

There is a simple reason why they are not subsidised, as they are not in England, so they want to play in a "foreign" set-up. That's obviously different for teams from Scottish islands. I'd greatly support travel subsidies for them. It would be great to have a Stornoway based team in the Scottish Cup. Would be some away day. :) 

Stornoway & Lerwick

Agreed.  Also, how about an away day against Shetland FC ?   The club does participate in one of the NCL Cup Competitions.  Or is it too far to contemplate ?

Lerwick is a splendid place to visit, as my wife and I did on an island hopping tour, in 2017. 

2019/20 NCL 

Any new clubs envisaged for the NCL next season  ?  Perhaps it would be a good time for the summer footballers of Fortrose,  Avoch, Rosemarkie, etc to form a combined Black Isle AFC to play winter football, by joining the (now very competitive) North Caley League   

46 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Stornoway & Lerwick

Agreed.  Also, how about an away day against Shetland FC ?   The club does participate in one of the NCL Cup Competitions.  Or is it too far to contemplate ?

Lerwick is a splendid place to visit, as my wife and I did on an island hopping tour, in 2017. 

2019/20 NCL 

Any new clubs envisaged for the NCL next season  ?  Perhaps it would be a good time for the summer footballers of Fortrose,  Avoch, Rosemarkie, etc to form a combined Black Isle AFC to play winter football, by joining the (now very competitive) North Caley League   

Island teams would need significant subsidy. Shetland is not easy to get to from the Highlands, the ferry takes a minimum of 12 hours from Aberdeen and flights are only from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow. There's a similar picture in the Western Isles with respect to Grampian. A regular league season would be very difficult to complete. In the HAC, clubs play at neutral venues, often in or near the ferry ports. I would go so far to say that unless a billionaire backer appears it will never happen.

There's certainly possibilities that an amateur club might consider moving to winter football. The main issue is players! Lots of the amateur players also play for NCL clubs in the winter. This used to happen in the HFL, but most clubs now restrict their contracted players through injury worries.

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Island teams would need significant subsidy. Shetland is not easy to get to from the Highlands, the ferry takes a minimum of 12 hours from Aberdeen and flights are only from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Loganair flies from Inverness to Sumburgh via Kirkwall.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Loganair flies from Inverness to Sumburgh via Kirkwall.

True, I forgot that. Flying is still unrealistic, even if it's the fastest as it's massively expensive for a squad of players and staff. Even foot passengers on the ferry takes ages and would be expensive. I could see perhaps an islands side negotiating to enter the Scottish Cup as a special case, but not sustained league competition.

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

True, I forgot that. Flying is still unrealistic, even if it's the fastest as it's massively expensive for a squad of players and staff. Even foot passengers on the ferry takes ages and would be expensive. I could see perhaps an islands side negotiating to enter the Scottish Cup as a special case, but not sustained league competition.

I'm sure there's more money in football than rugby but they've found the money to subsidise island teams. Maybe some sponsorship from Logan Air to help out a bit too.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm sure there's more money in football than rugby but they've found the money to subsidise island teams. Maybe some sponsorship from Logan Air to help out a bit too.

The island teams play fewer matches and don't always play home matches on the islands. Player registration in rugby is more lax than football and they'll draft players from the mainland to make up numbers. You'd still need a load of sponsorship.

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

The island teams play fewer matches and don't always play home matches on the islands. Player registration in rugby is more lax than football and they'll draft players from the mainland to make up numbers. You'd still need a load of sponsorship.

The NCL would be doable if you don't consider the unlikely prospect of promotion. Sometimes the pyramid theorists do more harm than assistance.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The NCL would be doable if you don't consider the unlikely prospect of promotion. Sometimes the pyramid theorists do more harm than assistance.

I would say the costs and travel issues are the concerns than any thought over the pyramid. The other island teams have had the example of Orkney and their own participation in the NCL cups. They've chosen not to take it further than that and the NCL isn't a pyramid league.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I would say the costs and travel issues are the concerns than any thought over the pyramid. The other island teams have had the example of Orkney and their own participation in the NCL cups. They've chosen not to take it further than that and the NCL isn't a pyramid league.

That was my point. Expand  the NCL to 11, say, and subsidise the travel. Orkney, Shetland and Lewis. Easily fundable if there was willingness from the SFA and Sport Scotland, and other grant bodies. I'd welcome one of them eventually into the Highland League, but small steps would do.

In recent press coverage about what HL do if... when... Cove go up, it discussed the fact HL had met with North Juniors earlier in the season about the pyramid and had "cordially" agreed to do nothing (though North Junior clubs did vote at national level to join pyramid):

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1744053/we-cant-offer-spots-in-the-highland-league-says-secretary-rod-houston/

HL had also met with North Caledonian - and what interested me is they voted unanimously in favour of feeders:

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

In recent press coverage about what HL do if... when... Cove go up, it discussed the fact HL had met with North Juniors earlier in the season about the pyramid and had "cordially" agreed to do nothing (though North Junior clubs did vote at national level to join pyramid):

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1744053/we-cant-offer-spots-in-the-highland-league-says-secretary-rod-houston/

HL had also met with North Caledonian - and what interested me is they voted unanimously in favour of feeders:

But all of his needn't be contradictory i.e. Make the NCL and the North Region Juniors (and the North of Tay Juniors from the East Region) Step 6 feeders. It is not necessary to insist on automatic promotion.

However, the option for promotion from these leagues should be there for clubs, if they want it. This would give these clubs the necessary certainty so that they could plan ahead with improvements over time in order to achieve the SFA Licence which is necessary for Step 5. These improvements are very great for many of these clubs so they need certainty.

Some might say that the SJFA has used this uncertainty factor to fight its corner/attempt to justify its' continued existence.

The NCL should be given Tier 6 status if they're interested with the league champions offered a Scottish Cup place. With Orkney not having a licensed ground to avoid fixture congestion they can use a mainland ground like the amateurs have done.

Then you work it like the LL have done but the HL has a fixed number of 20 instead of 16. The current HL don't have to worry about getting relegated, access is provided only to a licensed champion. The likes of Golspie could give the HL a go for a year or just avoid having floodlights strong enough for the HL requirements.

I hadn't given any thought to the logistics of it I was just interested by the fact NCL were supportive of the idea of joining-up. Clearly there are logistical issues as they couldn't join-up on their own without bespoke mechanisms. It would be unrealistic for any relegated side from Aberdeenshire/Moray to drop down to NCL and there would be other aspects like playing so few games and how Orkney could play HL (near-impossible currently).

It would be as if SOSL had joined-up under LL but EOSL hadn't... where would Preston have gone.