North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Carnoustie only have one game left against a top 6 team as well, East Craigie on April 1st.

Only one that is scheduled - they have 7 unscheduled games including Downfield and Lochee United to somehow fit in.

A bit gutted for Tain. Started off really well but the wheels have came off the wagon recently. I know they don't have near the budget of Invergordon so must be tough recruiting players in the area. Maybe they were just punching early on in the season to be so high up?

Bonar are always on a hiding to nothing, it's a miracle they get a team out all things concidered. Alness, Invergordon, Tain Saints, Golspie then Tain Thistle and Lairg in the summer league (don't know if there as much of a crossover these days) so it must eat into the player pool they have at their disposable 

20 hours ago, Spyro said:

Bonar are always on a hiding to nothing, it's a miracle they get a team out all things concidered. Alness, Invergordon, Tain Saints, Golspie then Tain Thistle and Lairg in the summer league (don't know if there as much of a crossover these days) so it must eat into the player pool they have at their disposable 

Yes there is.

I attended a Bonar Bridge home game at the end of the North Caley season that had been due for the Saturday but was brought forward to the midweek and played under lights at borrowed Golspie.

When I asked why, the Bonar Bridge club official told me that he had had to do that move because the players had told him that they were off to their summer clubs (the primary football up there) and he'd have had insufficient left for the fixture had it remained on the Saturday.

Edited by LeedsPhil

3 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

Yes there is.

I attended a Bonar Bridge home game at the end of the North Caley season that had been due for the Saturday but was brought forward to the midweek and played under lights at borrowed Golspie.

When I asked why, the Bonar Bridge club official told me that he had had to do that move because the players had told him that they were off to their summer clubs (the primary football up there) and he'd have had insufficient left for the fixture had it remained on the Saturday.

Funny that in the places that have a summer amateur league, it is more popular than the “junior” set up in the area… but when you mention switching amateur football to summer to save the dwindling numbers, the same people swear blind it’s a terrible idea and will never happen…

36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Already met twice according to the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_North_Caledonian_Football_League

Didn’t think it would be that easy to find!

Loch Ness still have Fort William

Invergordon still have Fort William and Golspie (with Orkney and St D) but if they win them all they win, potentially by a point

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

Didn’t think it would be that easy to find!

Loch Ness still have Fort William

Invergordon still have Fort William and Golspie (with Orkney and St D) but if they win them all they win, potentially by a point

It would be quite the thing if Loch Ness have blown it again like they did last season. :lol::bag

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be quite the thing if Loch Ness have blown it again like they did last season. :lol::bag

It's not as unlikely as it seemed last week. Invergordon don't lose silly points and Loch Ness have the occasional moment.

They both still have to play the headcase that is Alness, wouldn't put it past Loch Ness to win every other game and blow the league here tbh

On 13/03/2023 at 11:42, Spyro said:

It's not as unlikely as it seemed last week. Invergordon don't lose silly points and Loch Ness have the occasional moment.

They both still have to play the headcase that is Alness, wouldn't put it past Loch Ness to win every other game and blow the league here tbh

Loch Ness losing it would be hilarious 

1 hour ago, xenualba said:

Which clubs in the NCL actually have adequate facilities to be allowed promotion to the Highland League?

Fort William and Golspie.