North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

On 02/06/2021 at 14:07, MarkPockets said:

The Scourie team has had players from Lochinver and Ullapool. The reality is, anyone good enough to play at NCL level from the West already play for teams based in the East. There would have been no advantage having the team in Ullapool and, as the coach and majority of the players who have played are based in Scourie/KLB/Durness, basing the team in Ullapool would be logistically silly. 

Might draw in some Lewis and Harris boys, expanding their pool a bit. Whatever, looks like they've had enough of getting hammered every week, like Bunillidh Thistle. Bonar Bridge will have the whipping boys role to themselves. Hopefully they'll get some confidence back over the summer in the amateurs and give it another go.

On 30/05/2021 at 15:32, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is basically the corner flag at Bunillidh Thistle in Helmsdale. Sensational views in all directions. Must visit ground I'd say.
IMG_20210530_152259.jpeg

Very decent social club too with a great view of the lamentable football on display outside. Maybe I caught them on an off day..

On 10/06/2021 at 21:20, welshbairn said:

Might draw in some Lewis and Harris boys, expanding their pool a bit. Whatever, looks like they've had enough of getting hammered every week, like Bunillidh Thistle. Bonar Bridge will have the whipping boys role to themselves. Hopefully they'll get some confidence back over the summer in the amateurs and give it another go.

I was disappointed that Lewis & Harris FC seem unlikely to re-enter one of the NCA's cup competitions during 2021/22.

However in not doing so, your  suggestion that some of the L&H boys could be invited to add to Scourie's pool of players, is a good idea. 

On 10/06/2021 at 22:52, Spyro said:

Bonar look to have improved a fair amount recently. Hopefully that transfers into the league. Will be tough against the top teams but they might pick up a few points

I agree that Bonar have strengthened, which is good news. 

Looking ahead, with Tier 6 now being endorsed for 2021/22, it may attract other clubs to join the NCL in future. One other club did enquire about joining for 2021/22, but decided not to go ahead with an application (yet).

Bunillidh Thistle are not returning in 2021/22, but have retained their North Caley membership, and may return the following year. 

Also, will Tier 6 encourage an Isle  of Skye "United" team, to test itself in senior (winter) football ?  There are certainly enough Skye footballers, to be competitive in the NCL, and participation in the "pyramid" could attract sponsorship for 2022/23.  

Edited by Robert James
typo

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

I agree that Bonar have strengthened, which is good news. 

Looking ahead, with Tier 6 now being endorsed for 2021/22, it may attract other clubs to join the NCL in future. One other club did enquire about joining for 2021/22, but decided not to go ahead with an application (yet).

Bunillidh Thistle are not returning in 2021/22, but have retained their North Caley membership, and may return the following year. 

Also, will Tier 6 encourage an Isle  of Skye "United" team, to test itself in senior (winter) football ?  There are certainly enough Skye footballers, to be competitive in the NCL, and participation in the "pyramid" could attract sponsorship for 2022/23.  

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but a "Skye United" team would be the first a Hebridean team to would have made an appearance in the the pyramid 

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but a "Skye United" team would be the first a Hebridean team to would have made an appearance in the the pyramid 
I watched football in the Skye and Lochalsh league before. The standard of the better teams is very decent. A team with the best players from Skye would be a good addition to the NCL.

No idea if that's what they want though.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Skye league's a summer league aint it? 

They all are up here, those that are left. North Caley and Highland League are the only winter leagues. There was an attempt at an Inverness amateurs winter league recently, but only a few clubs entered.

Then I'd imagine players can play in the local league in the summer and NCL in the winter? Seems weird there'd be little appetite for a team in that sorta set up. Do Fort William get many players from Skye or Lochalsh? Obviously travel isn't the issue like it is for other islands. 

Mind you it's entirely sane that players just don't fancy travelling three hours once a fortnight for a game of football in the pissing rain and sleet of Caithness or Sutherland

Many of the players playing in the island leagues are away at uni/college in the winter or working elsewhere

Skye has a population of 9000 and the summer tourism industry is responsible for about 3000 jobs.

It's not impossible though as Skye shinty team play in the national leagues.

Lewis have just pulled out of the shinty league due to transport problems and not being able to be guaranteed space on the ferry.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Lewis have just pulled out of the shinty league due to transport problems and not being able to be guaranteed space on the ferry.

The lack of space on ferries for locals has become a scandal. I really hope they're working on ways to fix it, but I haven't heard anything about it.

^^^but don't suggest Faroese/Norwegian style fixed links such as a tunnel from Skye to Lewis might be the long term solution. You'll be portrayed as a nutter despite the way > 200 mill per year are now being spent annually on ferry subsidies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-41667403

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/tunnel-plan-for-benbecula-to-skye-like-a-magic-carpet-for-islands-3189976

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^but don't suggest Faroese/Norwegian style fixed links such as a tunnel from Skye to Lewis might be the long term solution. You'll be portrayed as a nutter despite the way > 200 mill per year are now being spent annually on ferry subsidies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-41667403

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/tunnel-plan-for-benbecula-to-skye-like-a-magic-carpet-for-islands-3189976

I genuinely can't tell if you're lying or stupid.

I've ben crystal clear both times we've been over this that tunnels to the Western Isles and Orkney are feasible. Shetland isn't.

I'm not going over it again.

ETA I have no idea why you've taken such a huff over an utterly trivial, meaningless exchange with a stranger on the internet that leads you to bring it up at any opportunity.

Edited by GordonS

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I genuinely can't tell if you're lying or stupid.

I've ben crystal clear both times we've been over this that tunnels to the Western Isles and Orkney are feasible. Shetland isn't.

I'm not going over it again.

ETA I have no idea why you've taken such a huff over an utterly trivial, meaningless exchange with a stranger on the internet that leads you to bring it up at any opportunity.

GordonS   I  suggest that you ignore the Lurker. He has little or no grasp about football in the Highlands, and as far as I know, he has no NCL contacts.   However he relishes irrelevant arguments, and apparently he thinks that he is never wrong ('tunnel vision').

As an aside, there are plenty of footballers in the north, who play both summer and winter football. For next season, the NCL has 12 clubs, requiring only 11 away matches, discounting any cup competitions. In my opinion, a "Skye United" should be able to attract sponsorship, if it played in a pyramid league, which would reduce costs..