North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Farr Hall isn't much closer to Inverness than Muir of Ord. The A9-A82 connector bypass was an ideal time to set up all weather facilities for football in Inverness, instead they just threw millions at Rugby and Golf and killed off Inverness City. For some reason the Council has a real bias against grass roots football in favour of cricket and rugby.

Yes it looks that way.

I hear a rumour that some of the people previously behind defunct  Inverness City, are now backing Nairn St Ninians JFC. Have you heard this rumour? 

34 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes it looks that way.

I hear a rumour that some of the people previously behind defunct  Inverness City, are now backing Nairn St Ninians JFC. Have you heard this rumour? 

I find it unlikely, the Chairman of City was an old guy who I think did nearly all of it himself, I'd imagine he's had enough after what he put into it and what they went through; and the player/manager has signed up as coach at Clachnacuddin.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

For some reason the Council has a real bias against grass roots football in favour of cricket and rugby.

They really don't. No-one owed City a ground. Canal Park wasn't just funded by Highland Council and is used by a club that has hundreds of all age and gender players and multiple teams. The cricket clubs are long established, so why should football get priority over their pitches?

15 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

They really don't. No-one owed City a ground. Canal Park wasn't just funded by Highland Council and is used by a club that has hundreds of all age and gender players and multiple teams. The cricket clubs are long established, so why should football get priority over their pitches?

There was loads of space left over that could have been developed for football while the funding was possible. What other towns or cities the size of Inverness have such poor facilities for clubs below tier 5? And I don't see why the Northern Meeting Ground should be preserved for cricket 365 days a year when they only use it a handful of days in the summer. We're never going to agree about this, I'm sounding like groundhog day.

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I find it unlikely, the Chairman of City was an old guy who I think did nearly all of it himself, I'd imagine he's had enough after what he put into it and what they went through; and the player/manager has signed up as coach at Clachnacuddin.

Okay, probably fake news then'

However St Ninians Juniors are ambitious, and it will be interesting to see how they progress over the next few years.  The club is also located in NCL territory.

On 31/07/2020 at 17:49, Cyclizine said:

Up until the early 80's the Canal pitches were predominately the domain of football. Everything from the Boys Brigade to Welfare played on it. The council at the time pretty much handed it over to Highland Rugby club. As for cricket, they didn't seem to have a problem with the Northern Meeting Park being used for rugby in the late 70's when Highland were flying high & attracting crowds. Inverness City really weren't harming anyone, either at the Bught or at the Northern Meeting & provided us with representation in the Juniors. 

On 31/07/2020 at 17:49, Cyclizine said:

A: Because cricket is a fucking shite non-sport while football is the national game. This is how grassroots sports policy should be concluded at any properly-led local authority in the country.

1 hour ago, Tin Shed Jaggie said:

Up until the early 80's the Canal pitches were predominately the domain of football. Everything from the Boys Brigade to Welfare played on it. The council at the time pretty much handed it over to Highland Rugby club. As for cricket, they didn't seem to have a problem with the Northern Meeting Park being used for rugby in the late 70's when Highland were flying high & attracting crowds. Inverness City really weren't harming anyone, either at the Bught or at the Northern Meeting & provided us with representation in the Juniors. 

far from harming anyone,i believe(could be wrong)that IC were spending quite a lot improving facilities at the meeting park and im sure would have continued doing so had they stayed there

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

A: Because cricket is a fucking shite non-sport while football is the national game. This is how grassroots sports policy should be concluded at any properly-led local authority in the country.

crickets every right to be played too-my gripe is that inverness has a cricket ground already up at walker park but apparantly the guys at NMP dont want to play there because they dont get on with the team that does.shouldve been told to grow the f**k up

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Inverness having junior representation, just I don't think it was Highland Council's duty to give City a ground. They're not just responsible for facilities in Inverness, but the whole of Highland.

The question @welshbairn asks about Tier 5 facilities should include the whole region really, in which case there's Station Dudgeon, KGV, Claggan and Harmsworth Parks that are licenced outwith Inverness. Then the other NCL grounds, as well as the various parks used in the amateur/welfare leagues and the school Astros.

The covenant issues with the Bught have already been discussed in terms of what City's lease wasn't extended a further time. Perhaps if the NMP gets taken over by the community project, then there might be some ability to share, but Northern Counties have been there for decades, there's overlap at the ends of the cricket/football seasons and I can see why the cricket club don't want their field to be guttery and bare before they start.

As for them sharing Fraser Park with Highland, they both have 2nd XI teams, plus their junior so you're asking four senior and multiple junior clubs to share the same field? That's hardly fair.

Anyway, I agree with Welshbairn that we're never going to agree on this!

Edited by Cyclizine

On 02/08/2020 at 13:09, highlandcowden said:

far from harming anyone,i believe(could be wrong)that IC were spending quite a lot improving facilities at the meeting park and im sure would have continued doing so had they stayed there

crickets every right to be played too-my gripe is that inverness has a cricket ground already up at walker park but apparantly the guys at NMP dont want to play there because they dont get on with the team that does.shouldve been told to grow the f**k up

Inverness City overstretched themselves financially, in the full knowlege that their lease was not going to be extended. 

A case of over ambition.without a Plan B.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

Inverness City overstretched themselves financially, in the full knowlege that their lease was not going to be extended. 

A case of over ambition.without a Plan B.

I know for a fact that they expected it to be extended, which it was for a year anyway, so there wasn't a hard and fast rule.

Edited by welshbairn

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I know for a fact that they expected it to be extended, which it was for a year anyway, so there wasn't a hard and fast rule.

Yes I remember they had a short term lease extension, to enable the club to find a different location. However, the council made it clear that the lease would not be extended again 

It was clearly a political decision by the council,  which is why City needed a fall back position, which they didn't have.  Also, as I understand it, City invested a significant amount of money, even though the original council decision gave them no long term security of tenure at the Bught. This was always going to be risky.

Politicians and ruling parties, come and go, and introduce different policies, as they see fit. At the end of the day, the politicians are accountable to the electorate, and they don't like losing elections/power. ( Look at the Meadowbank redevelopment fiasco)..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2020 at 16:15, Robert James said:

Yes it looks that way.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:54, welshbairn said:

Here's the Chairman on a sad day.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1744810/despair-as-inverness-junior-football-club-forced-to-disband/

And glad to say that the player/manager Jordan MacDonald is the new Clachnacuddin Manager!

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/2459056/clach-appoint-macdonald-as-new-manager-after-mcleod-steps-down/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social