North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm praying for Scourie v Tweedmouth. 

5 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Orkney to Creetown away would certainly be an Interesting Scottish Cup First Preliminary Round Tie

Replay would be a wet Tuesday night in February, natch

Edited by Cyclizine

55 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I wonder if Orkney at home in the Scottish would get a decent crowd. Potentially four figures?

I'm not sure they'd be able to host a home tie sadly, now the SFA have tightened things up with the ground requirements. Neither Pickaquoy nor the Grammar School plastic are enclosed. Might have to play a home game in Wick.

45 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I'm not sure they'd be able to host a home tie sadly, now the SFA have tightened things up with the ground requirements. Neither Pickaquoy nor the Grammar School plastic are enclosed. Might have to play a home game in Wick.

Surely the good Orcadians could get it together to put a fence up, assuming they've already got changing rooms and the like?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Surely the good Orcadians could get it together to put a fence up, assuming they've already got changing rooms and the like?

They've hosted Milne Cup games against Shetland at Pickaquoy, with decent crowds, but essentially it's an athletics track surrounding a sports field (often marked for rugby). I seem to recall they put some temporary pitch barriers up when I was working there and went to the game, but there wasn't any control of entry/gate taken.

If the NCL champions get a cup berth, I'd like to see them in, hopefully they could sort something out temporarily, as you say.

16 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

They've hosted Milne Cup games against Shetland at Pickaquoy, with decent crowds, but essentially it's an athletics track surrounding a sports field (often marked for rugby). I seem to recall they put some temporary pitch barriers up when I was working there and went to the game, but there wasn't any control of entry/gate taken.

If the NCL champions get a cup berth, I'd like to see them in, hopefully they could sort something out temporarily, as you say.

I don't think Orkney would have any problems sorting things out of the situation arises.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Loch Ness trying for the Northern Meeting ground, and Fraser Park. Hope they have more success than Inverness City.

The Northern Meeting Ground is an excellent venue, and Loch Ness may find that the response may now be more favourable than previously.

I'm not familiar with Fraser Park. Is it a suitable venue, and who plays there currently.?

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe they could play inside the Ring of Brodgar.  String some nets between the stones, the goalposts are already there.

11 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The Northern Meeting Ground is an excellent venue, and Loch Ness may find that the response may now be more favourable than previously.

I'm not familiar with Fraser Park. Is it a suitable venue, and who plays there currently.?

Nobody I think, just a bit of park land with no pitch as far as I know. They've also mentioned Bught Park where Inverness City had problems. The NCL rules aren't as strict as the Superleague though, so hopefully they'll sort something out. Just seems a bit late.

On 22/06/2020 at 12:56, Dev said:

Clearly it says that the new structure is temporary - but what occurs to me is that, together with joining the Highland League's Pyramid, this could encourage additional clubs from the area to reconsider what they do in the future. This has the possibility to bring about extra interest in time, even, for 2021/22 and, who knows, retention of two divisions.

If nothing-else the two divisions should help the better sides play more competitive matches during the season and, likewise, those in Division Two shouldn't receive so many big defeats.

Another thing is that this could remove the long-standing season over-lap and shared players situation with the areas Amateur Leagues which play in the Summer. That could also help the NCL.

Agreed. This could be a win/win situation, for summer amateur clubs, and for the NCL.

In addition, tier 6 pyramid entry will raise the NCL's profile, which should encourage greater sponsorship, as well as future new club applicants/entrants from, say, Dornoch, the Black Isle, Dingwall,  Burghead,   Balintore,  Aviemore, Muir of Ord, etc.

24 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Highland CC. It's just a public park with a pavilion and a cricket square.

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

I don't think Orkney would have any problems sorting things out of the situation arises.

I'm sure they could come up with something as well, but gone are the days of the SFA allowing cup matches on roped off public parks. The SAFA clubs have had to nominate an enclosed ground for their matches. Anyway, this is getting slightly ahead of things, since firstly, the NCL champions would have to be awarded a cup place and secondly, Orkney would have to win the league...

18 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

From the 360 photos on street view and NLS it seems like after the running track there's a grass banking then a fence around whole area, surely the only way to get in is near the sports centre which is where entry could be controlled? https://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/orkney.htm

Just confirming that Nairn County Reserves will play out of Station Park and Alness Utd are back at the Highland Football Academy (next to Victoria Park) in Dingwall, at least until the new school pitches are finished.

14 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Highland CC. It's just a public park with a pavilion and a cricket square.

Sure I read somewhere that Loch Ness have some connection with the Craigmonie Hotel which is nearby. Maybe it was just a few players working there.

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

From the 360 photos on street view and NLS it seems like after the running track there's a grass banking then a fence around whole area, surely the only way to get in is near the sports centre which is where entry could be controlled? https://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/orkney.htm

I'm sure it could be done, just that the SFA have been stricter about grounds over the last several years! It's all theoretical, anyway. At the moment there's no way Orkney can qualify for the Scottish Cup.

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sure I read somewhere that Loch Ness have some connection with the Craigmonie Hotel which is nearby. Maybe it was just a few players working there.

Loch Ness intend to play at the Bught on an interim basis, pending the availability of one of the other grounds, referred to above.