North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If they welcome in the 4 they'll have 13 teams next season if they have one. You might be right, plan to play them in the Spring maybe. 

I'd expect them to decide to wait and see, could be back to normal by September or no games till whenever. Think they've already agreed to the Pyramid in 

principle so they might firm that up with a written proposal I suppose. Not sure how that would work if the NRJFA aren't interested though.

Considering some of the previous chat around the highland pyramid it could be done with just the NCL for now. A licenced NCL champion gets promotion to the Highland League, Highland League say they don't max out as a single division until 20. Nothing to worry about.

Could still even say relegation is automatic, but as they aren't at 20 the club would be free to re-apply if they so wished.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Considering some of the previous chat around the highland pyramid it could be done with just the NCL for now. A licenced NCL champion gets promotion to the Highland League, Highland League say they don't max out as a single division until 20. Nothing to worry about.

Could still even say relegation is automatic, but as they aren't at 20 the club would be free to re-apply if they so wished.

Yeah, it's unlikely the bottom club would be from the East anyway.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, it's unlikely the bottom club would be from the East anyway.

Yeah Clach or Fort are probably going to be near the bottom, both of which can easily play in NCL. I would have had it in a way that It was a PO from bottom of HL vs NCL/NJ/Tayside Champion. As that seems a far more palatable proposal to the HL clubs.

NCL can become Tier 6 officially for 2020-21 but with no Promotion/Relegation until 2021-22 so the Champion club can at least receive a Scottish Cup Berth. Also gives the the North and Tayside Juniors a season to grow up and try and be convinced to do the same.

15 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yeah Clach Lossie or Fort are probably going to be near the bottom, both of which can easily play in NCL. I would have had it in a way that It was a PO from bottom of HL vs NCL/NJ/Tayside Champion. As that seems a far more palatable proposal to the HL clubs.

NCL can become Tier 6 officially for 2020-21 but with no Promotion/Relegation until 2021-22 so the Champion club can at least receive a Scottish Cup Berth. Also gives the the North and Tayside Juniors a season to grow up and try and be convinced to do the same.

I think the HL have banned Fort from serving as Caley Colts again, so they'll most likely be red hot favourites as usual. I've thought for a while they'd be happier in the NCL anyway, less games to play so they could get most of their home games out of the way during the rare months when it's playable, and get the locals used to regular spells of Saturday afternoon football. BTW I fixed your obvious mistake. :P

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

If they have a 14 team league next season, they could may be just play one round of fixtures - a 13 Game truncated season.

Playing the other clubs only once instead of twice,  is something they could consider, if the start of the season is much later than September, assuming the NCL has 13 clubs, as is anticipated for 2020/21.

The other alternative (depending on the impact of the virus) would be to play the full 24 league games, and reduce the number of cup competitions down to only 1 or 2, of the 5 separate cup competitions, which they have often used to supplement the level of league fixtures.

Presumably the current 14th North Caley member club, Lewis & Harris FC, would only enter 1 or 2 of the cup competitions, in any event, this being their usual practice each season.  .

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Here's an idea, if Fort get demoted they could flog their floodlights to the NCL Champions! They'll take comfort from that thought..

🤣    Too many wee drams ?

If so, save some for me, as it could be a cold dark winter.

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 13:55, welshbairn said:

The Northern Meeting Park was used by Inverness City for a bit, but there were complaints that the grass was cut up too much for Summer cricket. Shame they couldn't find a solution, it would be a great place for football. Someone might correct me on the details, it was before I moved up here.

it was a terrific venue

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:55, ArabAuslander said:

Yes I know all this. 

Someone mentioned there being ground requirements for the North Superleague that Inverness City struggled to meet, as someone who's been to a few North Super games I was wondering what those criteria are. 

I think the adequate facilities for the teams and officials(changing rooms etc) plus the fenced off pitch/route to changing rooms and fenced off ground with a turnstile or paying entrance

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 13:26, cmontheloknow said:

Bught Park on a municipal unenclosed pitch or on the bit City improved (assuming any of it is left)?

sure the unenclosed municipal pitches are fine-saw athletic play a league game there earlier in the season.requirements for NCL and north juniors superleague(:lol:) are poles apart

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 21:47, ShrimpLok said:

Cromdale has been in Banffshire, Inverness-shire (detached part), Morayshire, Badenoch and Strathspey and now Highland. Can't make up its mind which county it wants to be in.

how in the name of f**k can cromdale be remotely considered to be in banffshire

12 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

how in the name of f**k can cromdale be remotely considered to be in banffshire

Same as Ullapool was in Cromartyshire.  There were lots of mad exclaves in the traditional county boundaries, usually because of clan family landholdings.   St Fergus over by Peterhead was a Banffshire exclave.

https://www.irishfa.com/news/2020/june/irish-fa-issue-updated-covid-19-guidelines

This looks interesting. Northern Ireland FA is ahead of others about Covid-19 recovery plans. Their latest plan:

Saturday 06 Jun 2020

Irish FA: Covid-19 recovery plan update

The Irish FA has issued an updated document looking ahead to measures to help an incremental return of grassroots football to Northern Ireland.  

The measures will be introduced from Monday 8 June. 

Some subjects that the document will include are as follows: 

• Playing football individually.
  • Playing football with your family or people living in your household.
  • Football training or fitness activities in groups of no more than six keeping two metres apart at all times.
  • Training for two or more groups of six (including coach).

The document will also cover suggested safety instructions and hygiene protocols. You can download the full Covid-19 recovery plan below (i.e. go to their web site). 

SPFL "u-turn" tonight  regarding restructuring ? 14-10-10-10 back on the table, according to Sky TV News.

If so, Brora & Kelty would be promoted to the SPFL. 

Final SPFL decision next week.

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Its happening,NCL could be under the HL as a tier 6 league as soon as the start of next season.

Really? That's great news. Any movement with the NRJFA? The only issue I can think of is if a Grampian-based club gets relegated if only the NCL are underneath the HL.

48 minutes ago, Marten said:

Really? That's great news. Any movement with the NRJFA? The only issue I can think of is if a Grampian-based club gets relegated if only the NCL are underneath the HL.

Unlikely on current form. Fort won't be allowed to take on the Caley Colts role next season as they've put a limit on allowable loan players so will likely be firmly planted on the bottom. Turriff struggled last season but I can't see them coming below Lossie and Fort.

39 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

No word as yet on the NRJFA marten but the NCL are currently the only "nominated tier 6" league below the HL.

Information I have recieved is they are hopeful of being in the pyramid for the start of the 2020/21 season.

Thank you, maybe the NCL coming underneath the HL will eventually encourage the NRJFA as well, one can only hope.

It will interesting to see how they handle promotion and relegation. The Highland League actually changed their constitution last summer making it easier for clubs to enter on the face of it. So it's not just a case of saying if Golspie Sutherland win the NCL at the moment.

They changed their membership criteria from:

image.png.206993d4d0aeafc61e471dcd18ca4730.png

To

image.png.2b91cddf328d0d8fd5b010b8d547beb9.png

No mention of floodlights or being an existing member of the SFA. The dream of a trip to Orkney for a Highland League game is on the cards :thumsup2

Edited by FairWeatherFan