North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

12 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Alness have appointed a manager and have confirmed they are looking to get back in for 20/21

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/sport/alness-united-will-bid-for-north-caledonian-league-return-196186/

Their return to the NCL is excellent news.  They have a thriving youth setup, and a very good history in the North Caley. 

Will they be playing at the ('new') Alness Academy ? 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Can someone help me with details of the two other new clubs.  I need the club colours and home park of Scourie and Loch Ness?  Thanks

The Scourie team haven't decided what they'll be called yet and Loch Ness don't know where they'd be playing, and the NCL haven't said whether they'll even be admitted to the league. So hold your horses! The Loch Ness strip changes according to sponsors but I think its mainly black and white with some light blue features for their home games.

30261602_1602656626521973_13534338481169

30530898_2054895641458534_33891190507254

30740151_1611753042278998_25659248354273

Edited by welshbairn

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Scourie team haven't decided what they'll be called yet and Loch Ness don't know where they'd be playing, and the NCL haven't said whether they'll even be admitted to the league. So hold your horses! The Loch Ness strip changes according to sponsors but I think its mainly black and white with some light blue features for their home games.

Thank you.

On 01/04/2020 at 12:39, Robert James said:

Not entirely correct, as Invergordon have an enclosed ground, immediately behind (and separate from) the rugby ground. It is also fenced off from the adjacent public park, and has a different access to it.

It wasn't like that when I was there last season. Anyone could walk the path running alongside the pitch, and admission was by a bucket taken round shortly after kick-off. 

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It wasn't like that when I was there last season. Anyone could walk the path running alongside the pitch, and admission was by a bucket taken round shortly after kick-off. 

Yes there is a public path alongside the  rugby ground, and the football pitch, but is separated from the adjacent playing fields, by a high mesh fence.  Last time I was there was 4 or 5 years ago, although I would be surprised if it has changed.

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes there is a public path alongside the  rugby ground, and the football pitch, but is separated from the adjacent playing fields, by a high mesh fence.  Last time I was there was 4 or 5 years ago, although I would be surprised if it has changed.

It's not, the path is on the same side of the fence as the football pitch, with the rugby pitch to the south on the other side of the fence. You can see it on streetview.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Correct. The 4 applications will be considered at the NCL's AGM, which is usually held in late May, or early June.

As yet, I haven't heard that a date has been set (have you ?), but I understand it will be held earlier this year

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

It's not, the path is on the same side of the fence as the football pitch, with the rugby pitch to the south on the other side of the fence. You can see it on streetview.

Apologies if my response was confusing. Yes the footpath is inside Invergordon's ground, but the fence separates the pitch from the adjacent public playing fields, which are 'next door'. 

As you may be aware, Coldstream FC (EoSL) also has a public footpath running through its ground, but the council allows the club to close the gates to the public (at either end of one side of the ground), albeit, only whilst a match is being played.    

On 01/04/2020 at 12:39, Robert James said:

Not entirely correct, as Invergordon have an enclosed ground, immediately behind (and separate from) the rugby ground. It is also fenced off from the adjacent public park, and has a different access to it. Also Halkirk Utd has 2 covered stands, and changing rooms, but is otherwise 'roped off'..

Orkney are looking to upgrade their facilities, or relocate (if necessary);

Ambitious club, St Duthus (Tain) play matches at a separately 'enclosed' (Links) ground, although they currently use the changing room facilities on a (council ?) football pitch, situated across a narrow lane (which ends at a car park).

Bonar Bridge's facilities are basic.  Inverness Athletic have played at the Highland Football Academy, and at Muir of Ord, but their ongoing ground situation is uncertain because finding suitable/available football pitches is a recurring problem in the city of Inverness.  Bunillidh Thistle's ground at Helmsdale is also basic, but I agree that the facilities are good.

NCL member club, Alness United have  been "in abeyance" this season, as they lost their ground in the town and temporarily relocated elsewhere, to a housing development. It is unclear whether they will be returning to the league in 2020/21.  Does anyone have any news about their possible return ?

Golspie & Thurso's grounds are good, and worth a ground hop, if you haven't visited them. 

The pitch at the Recreation Grounds isn't enclosed. It's railed (partially), but the fence encircles the whole of the playing fields including the other football pitch and the rugby pitches. As @GordonS says, the path goes runs past the pitch inside the fence from the rugby clubhouse to the other side of the park. The fence wouldn't count as a boundary/enclosure anyway as it doesn't obscure the view and doesn't uniquely enclose only the football pitch.

Halkirk's new (in the last ten years anyway) ground, Morrison Park, as you said has two decent enclosures and is railed, but there's no proper fence/wall. The changing rooms are across a wee road at the old ground. I'm not sure where Orkney would be relocating to, given they currently play at various grounds, usually the Grammar School plastic, but also Pickaquoy and Dounby pitches. St Duthus again isn't enclosed, its got a little wooden fence, but again, it doesn't stop anyone seeing or walking in.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

The pitch at the Recreation Grounds isn't enclosed. It's railed (partially), but the fence encircles the whole of the playing fields including the other football pitch and the rugby pitches. As @GordonS says, the path goes runs past the pitch inside the fence from the rugby clubhouse to the other side of the park. The fence wouldn't count as a boundary/enclosure anyway as it doesn't obscure the view and doesn't uniquely enclose only the football pitch.

Halkirk's new (in the last ten years anyway) ground as you said has two decent enclosures and is railed, but there's no proper fence/wall. The changing rooms are across a wee road at the old ground. I'm not sure where Orkney would be relocating to, given they currently play at various grounds, usually the Grammar School plastic, but also Pickaquoy and Dounby pitches. St Duthus again isn't enclosed, its got a little wooden fence, but again, it doesn't stop anyone seeing or walking in.

Is there any update about where Alness will play next season ? 

33 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Apologies if my response was confusing. Yes the footpath is inside Invergordon's ground, but the fence separates the pitch from the adjacent public playing fields, which are 'next door'. 

As you may be aware, Coldstream FC (EoSL) also has a public footpath running through its ground, but the council allows the club to close the gates to the public (at either end of one side of the ground), albeit, only whilst a match is being played.    

The difference is that at Coldstream they close the path during matches and charge for admission at either end. At Invergordon that didn't seem to be the case, but for all I know the arrangements might be more subtle than that.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Trust me, the first thing I'll do when I know for definite is post on here...

Their only real option is the new high school when it gets done. There actually isn’t any other pitch in the town now that Crawle Park has been developed, which is a disgrace.

I would guess another season in Dingwall first but that does them no favours at all

Edited by Spyro

38 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Their only real option is the new high school when it gets done. There actually isn’t any other pitch in the town now that Crawle Park has been developed, which is a disgrace.

I would guess another season in Dingwall first but that does them no favours at all

Yeah, the plans are for two floodlit 3G pitches and at least one grass. Strongly suspect that's where they'll end up. With the current situation things are behind schedule on the building, was supposed to be open by now! HFA could be an option again, although depends I guess on when next season restarts...