Robert James

North Caledonian League Expansion

2 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

Not many. 3G at Millburn Academy and Inverness Royal Academy but nothing really like a proper football ground. 

Interesting that the Shinty folk are having some of the same problems at Bught as City did:
https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/save-our-shinty-is-inverness-clubs-distress-call-who-want-bught-park-191554/

If anyone is serious about creating an additional semi-pro football facility in Inverness it seems to me the Torvean Gateway development of the old golf course is the best bet for securing a location. Would need a lot of money / work though. 
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1649937/public-attend-exhibition-of-masterplan-for-inverness-torvean-gateway/

Thanks.  Inverness is pretty poorly served in that case, and of course one of the two is out of commission currently.

The problem with the Bught is how the council acquired it, it was essentially bought at a knock down price at first refusal in the 1920s(?) by the Burgh council with covenants attached about open access for recreation. Part of the issue with City's development of Lister Park was the presumption that permanent development might not be in keeping with the deeds, hence the temporary leasing.

Plus, the thought that Highland Council (and the Inverness District Council) before that may not technically be the true owners of the Bught, which might be nebulously owned by the "People of Inverness".

At the time the council wasn't keen to pay for the legal advice needed, I suspect they'd be even less keen now given their financial issues. Perhaps if funding for it could be secured elsewhere, then there's a chance. The likelihood of someone mounting a legal challenge would be slim (but couldn't be discounted: look at the Formartine Utd badge saga...)

The Northern Meeting Park was used by Inverness City for a bit, but there were complaints that the grass was cut up too much for Summer cricket. Shame they couldn't find a solution, it would be a great place for football. Someone might correct me on the details, it was before I moved up here.

9 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Oiut of Interest what is the Superleague ground requirements? I've seen them mentioned over the years but never seen any definitive criteria.

"Superleague" is not a title used by the Scottish senior leagues. It related to the juniors.

Ground standards vary within the  junior and senior leagues, at tier 6 and below, . However the leading senior & junior clubs usually have an enclosed ground, whereas at lower levels in these leagues, they often don't.  Some clubs  have no boundary fencing, whilst some others play in a 'cage' often associated with an outdoor sports centre.

However, higher standards apply at pyramid tier 5  in the Highland & Lowland Leagues. To play at this level, clubs must have an SFA Licence, which requires floodlights, higher standards of dressing rooms, boundary fences, some benefits for the disabled,  cover for 100 fans or more, and a few other essential facilities, including toilets (within the ground) for both men and women.  

Senior clubs playing in  (or joining) the EoSL or the SoSL, or the newly proposed WoSL, do NOT  need floodlights, or a club license, unless the wish to be promoted to tier 5. 

Further Licensing details (for Tier 5) can be obtained in the SFA Handbook 2019/20, for clubs which have ambitious to be promoted to the HFL or SLL, or  "onwards and upwards" to     the SPFL.. Clubs considering joining the pyramid at tier 6 or below, are advised to talk to the League Secretaries, if they have any concerns, or doubts, about their ground's suitability.

Thought North Kessock would be a good option for a team but it appears to have been nimby’ed. It’s grim, there’s talk of Alness looking to get going again but ALL the pitches in the town have been built on now.

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

How many actual football "grounds" are in Inverness?   obviously ICT and Clach, but what other football grounds (not pitches) are there, ie enclosed and with a rail around the pitch?

None that I know of. The two school pitches that get used for ICTWFC and for Athletic have fence boundaries around the playing area. Rope and pins can be used as a temporary barriers where spectators are. But its more than just the pitch,teams and officials also need separate changing rooms, hot running water for showers and there has to be toilets and first aid on site.

When City used the Northern Meeting Park the ground was and is enclosed by a wall and there were ropes around the pitch as boundaries, this was acceptable in the lower leagues in the Juniors. Possibly the same in the NCL and the league football on the Western Isles.

The closest purpose made football ground underneath the HL with a permanent enclosure around the pitch (timber) and basic facilities is at the Showgrounds in Nairn where Nairn St. Ninians play.

6 hours ago, Robert James said:

"Superleague" is not a title used by the Scottish senior leagues. It related to the juniors.

Ground standards vary within the  junior and senior leagues, at tier 6 and below, . However the leading senior & junior clubs usually have an enclosed ground, whereas at lower levels in these leagues, they often don't.  Some clubs  have no boundary fencing, whilst some others play in a 'cage' often associated with an outdoor sports centre.

However, higher standards apply at pyramid tier 5  in the Highland & Lowland Leagues. To play at this level, clubs must have an SFA Licence, which requires floodlights, higher standards of dressing rooms, boundary fences, some benefits for the disabled,  cover for 100 fans or more, and a few other essential facilities, including toilets (within the ground) for both men and women.  

Senior clubs playing in  (or joining) the EoSL or the SoSL, or the newly proposed WoSL, do NOT  need floodlights, or a club license, unless the wish to be promoted to tier 5. 

Further Licensing details (for Tier 5) can be obtained in the SFA Handbook 2019/20, for clubs which have ambitious to be promoted to the HFL or SLL, or  "onwards and upwards" to     the SPFL.. Clubs considering joining the pyramid at tier 6 or below, are advised to talk to the League Secretaries, if they have any concerns, or doubts, about their ground's suitability.

Yes I know all this. 

Someone mentioned there being ground requirements for the North Superleague that Inverness City struggled to meet, as someone who's been to a few North Super games I was wondering what those criteria are. 

Edited by ArabAuslander

53 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yes I know all this. 

Someone mentioned there being ground requirements for the North Superleague that Inverness City struggled to meet, as someone who's been to a few North Super games I was wondering what those criteria are. 

The Superleague requires a railed pitch and a boundary fence. Nairn Saints had issues with promotion as the Showfield wasn't enclosed. Much less stringent below the Superleague and in the NCL.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yes I know all this. 

As explained by Cyclizine, regarding the ground standards required by the former Superleague. .City spent a lot of money (apparent;y) to meet the required standards, without having security of tenure at Lister Park (Bught).

33 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

The Superleague requires a railed pitch and a boundary fence. Nairn Saints had issues with promotion as the Showfield wasn't enclosed. Much less stringent below the Superleague and in the NCL.

Think they need changing rooms with showers too. A fair portion of the cost of Lister Park was fitting a water supply under the Shinty ground to the portacabins.

Just as a side note note to the current conversation, the Meeting Park has been left in a right state after the music concerts held there last year, especially down towards the council buildings side of the park.

There is a charity set up with the intention of taking over the park from the council, but I'm not sure if they would look any more favourably on it being used as a football pitch in the winter. https://northernmeetingpark.com/

It's a real shame that the gates are generally bolted shut in the summer when that end of town is teeming with cruise ship coaches.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Thought North Kessock would be a good option for a team but it appears to have been nimby’ed. It’s grim, there’s talk of Alness looking to get going again but ALL the pitches in the town have been built on now.

Having been to North Kessock, when City first played there, it didn't seem too bad.  I accept that the ground is basic, and not in Inverness, as it is on the north side of the Moray Firth.  But  "nimby'ed",  why ?

17 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Having been to North Kessock, when City first played there, it didn't seem too bad.  I accept that the ground is basic, and not in Inverness, as it is on the north side of the Moray Firth.  But  "nimby'ed",  why ?

The neighbours complained about the swearing from the players...

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Uncle Bob says :   "Are they having a f*****g laugh ?

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

Oh dear!

You're joking?

16 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Just as a side note note to the current conversation, the Meeting Park has been left in a right state after the music concerts held there last year, especially down towards the council buildings side of the park.

There is a charity set up with the intention of taking over the park from the council, but I'm not sure if they would look any more favourably on it being used as a football pitch in the winter. https://northernmeetingpark.com/

It's a real shame that the gates are generally bolted shut in the summer when that end of town is teeming with cruise ship coaches.

Peebles Rovers share their ground with cricket and have done for decades, no reason why that arrangement at NMP couldn't work.

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does this mean that they are aiming at the NCL? Would that be as Point FC or would they be a Western Isles FC or Lewis/Harris FC?

I'm fairly sure they'll be sticking with the Lewis & Harris League. Most of the communities have excellent and well maintained pitches.

Lewis & Harris FC already exist as a select team and play in a couple of NCL cups.

Edited by Cyclizine

19 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Peebles Rovers share their ground with cricket and have done for decades, no reason why that arrangement at NMP couldn't work.

Very common scenario down in England where of course there's a lot more cricket played, & accordingly a lot of recreation grounds / parks are set up for football in the winter & cricket in the summer. There's even overlap in spring & autumn, so the two definitely aren't mutually exclusive. Just needs decent care taken of the football pitches / cricket outfield.